Mazda3 Forums banner

1561 - 1565 of 1565 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd skip the rear main if it is good. I didn't change it on my '15 10K Fusion that i swapped in my former '04MZ3. It was fine. I used Toyota oil pan, cam housing FIPG to seal the engine. I used it for 17 1/2 years at a Toyota dealership. Bulletproof. Hope the swap goes well and I'm impressed with the purchase price for everything. Sweet. Just sharing my experience.

I got a deal on the parts for sure! I'm lucky that I live in an area where we have lots of yards to choose from. I used car-part.com to find a yard near me that had the engine, IM, and TB that I wanted. As an added bonus I could see pictures of the actual car so I knew that it hadn't been in an front-end collision. When I went to the yard they were pretty excited to hear what I was doing with this swap so they cut me pretty big breaks on the Mazda IM and TB. The engine itself was only $350!

Your thread is definitely one of the ones I'm referring to. I really appreciate all the steps you documented to get one of the newer 2.5's to work!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Not sure what state you are in. I am in California. Does anyone know how this swap would affect me smog legal wise?
That's a good question to ask. If you think about the swap the way most have done it, you are stripping a 2.5L engine down to the long block (only head, block, and internals). You'll be putting back on all the Mazda external parts - valve cover, oil pan, timing cover, IM, TB. It's up to you whether you use a 2.3L or 2.5 IM&TB. You'll be retaining the EGR valve, all your Cats, and pretty much anything else that makes a California car smog legal.

I don't know if an increase in fuel consumption via larger injectors or throttle body and intake manifold will cause you to fail during a smog check. The engine will look virtually identical so it will definitely pass the "eye test."

Lots of folks on this forum have done the swap. At least one (TripWire) is from California.

·
Banned
771 Posts
The OBDII must be compliant regarding the monitor status.
If you are not and you fail you will be required to go to a CALIFORNIA emission inspection center. You may get your VIN code and engine matched for California compliance.

My advise as a licence in the State of California to perform emission testing is to go to a test SERVICE SHOP and ask NOT to be connected to the STATE of California and only want a pre-test. They may or may not charge for the service? It use to be free but anymore I am sure they will charge a minimum fee. This is different than the old advertised by many service shops if you don't pass you don't pay, so DO NOT get them confused. If by chance you do pass the pre-test I would highly recommend to go the full emission test and get your certification right then.
DO NOT supply information about your mods. Let the tech do his job.

Trust me if there is a fault using your engine and you don't pass there will be nothing reasonable you will be able to get to pass it for registering in the state of California.

If you call the DMV or California Air Resource board or BAR they will all give you exact requirements or where to read what the requirements, restrictions or limitation to what is exceptable for changing from the original OEM parts on a California vehicle to pass emissions requirements. I strongly suggest if you first do not take my first recommendation consider the second. DO NOT take your car to any station that is a CA Emission ONLY test center without knowing all the information up front. Once your car is connected to the State Of California for emission testing at that point the engine used if it were a questionable concern will be marked in the states information about your car. At that point any station you go to when they connect your car that information will come up. You don't want that to happen unless you know absolutely that your modding is not an emission concern or violation.

Be careful ANY MEMBERS advise UNLESS THEY KNOW THE CURRENT EMISSION VEHICLE STANDARDS AND REQUIREMENTS FOR EMISSION TESTING IN CALIFORNIA

·
Banned
771 Posts
The phrase "passing the eye test" with respect to the exact regulations...let me tell you!
An example.... during the "EYE" exam if the tech see's a universal bulk cut hose for use for a broken or leaking OEM PCV hose and even if it has emission quality or worded for emission hose requirement but not recognized as an OEM hose in some "eye" "test" will fail the emission test. Even something as mundane and generic like electrical tape none OEM used on something under the hood can fail the test. Really this state has gotten very stick. But then we are lucky we don't technically have mandatory vehicle safety inspections like some other states of countries. At worst if the engine looks like it is not original can lead the "EYE" examination to look more carefully at everything which may include the engine number used or currently in that vehicle being emission tested.
IT IS THE TECHNICIAN ASS and he and the shop could be fined for missing anything not in emission requirements.

Really the old days of slipping a Tech a "c" note to pass are all but gone.

The state sends inspectors for compliance out on the road and they can drive by the shop doing a emission test and look on the internet the car that should be connected. If they feel anything is needing further investigation they can by law enter the shop, check to verify any aspect of the emission test being done.

1561 - 1565 of 1565 Posts