Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Mazda3 2.0 w preferred package, deep dark blue
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What year(s) did Mazda install the underhood insulation for the Mazda 3's???

I'm talking about the insulation that goes on the underside of the hood. NOT the plastic engine cover thingy.

I would swear there was a mention in their ads or brochures mentioning increasing sound deadening by adding a hood insulator. I'm pretty sure there is a part avail for all Mazda 3's for this insulation, plus the clips you'd need. Also fairly certain that most Mazda 3's would accomodate it immediately if you bought one OEM. Wondering what yrs. they were intro'd (08-09?)

I'm also wondering if for those who have it, does it help quiet the cabin?

My Nissan when I bought it did not have one from the previous owner who must have screwed up somewhere. I know for sure that for the Nissan, it does help dampen cabin noise, help as a fire retardant if there ever was an underhood fire event, (insulator would melt off small plastic fasteners and insulator would fall onto motor from hood thereby helping to suppress an underhood fire). Also, for the Nissan, the high output motor can get so hot as to damage the paint on the surface of the hood without the insulation.

So, the hood insulator's functions are multiple.

Thanks,

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
My 2007 GT sedan had the insulation... yet my friend with a 2007 i Touring sedan did not. Perhaps it was only offered on the S-trims?

·
Registered
36,001 Posts
Hell, my 04 hatch had one. So does my gfs 04 sedan. I dont think it was intro'd midstream... I think its been there all along, but as lara said, it could just be on the S models.

As far as the benefits you listed.. I slightly disagree. I dont see how it'll dampen noise considering you hear engine noise coming through the firewall, not the hood. Maybe if you were standing outside the car I could see what you're saying, but inside its negligible. The fire part, I could see it working that way in theory, but I doubt having that fall on the engine would really put out or even slightly suppress a fire. Theres plenty of other air entrances and exits, as well as much more engine surface area that would need to be covered to be effective. Finally, I dont think our engine gets so hot that it could harm the paint on the hood. In fact, theres a hole in the insulation on the middle-left side of the hood. No problems in that spot on my 04.

Are you asking because your car doesnt have one?

·
Registered
769 Posts
I took mine off, just sitting in my closet, I would sell it to to you for 10 bucks. I have a hatch though so I doubt it will fit.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Yeah, it's not present on models with the 2.0L.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Hood insulators do quite engine noise, That's why they're not on the i models. It's not just a safety feature (if it was it would be on all cars) it's a noise barrier.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda3 2.0 w preferred package, deep dark blue
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses. Yes, in our Nissan's car club knowledge base, the insulator of our cars has that multi-role specific to that Nissan.

But yes, my Maz 3i Touring (sedan) that I have, does not have that insulator. I am posting because I'm *thinking about getting one.

Funny thing is, my 1989 Mazda 323 (Familia), has holes pre-cut for the plastic fasteners for the hood insulator. But, my particular model 323 the "SE", does not have the insulator, but I could walk into a dealer and just plain old order one & install, no probs. I'm certain they came standard on the '89 323 GTX (turbo, AWD) models tho...

Thanks,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts