Mazda3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Love all of those Phil. I always eat subway while driving lol
Back in the day I used to clean pools while working through college (awesome summer job, sucked most horribly in the winter.) I remember a day when I was driving from one house to another doing all of the following simultaneously.

eating a burger
sipping on a drink
smoking a cigarette
talking on the cell phone with my boss
taking a note in my notebook
and shifting gears (1994 Toyota pickup, 4 cylinder, manual trans, and MANUAL STEERING!!!)

If I can do all that with one brain and two hands and feet, why is it so hard for everyone else to figure out how to drive a manual transmission?!

(note) The above is not meant to be an endorsement of driving while thoroughly distracted by doing 8 things at once. I was young, and stupid.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
When it's a proper sports car... I die a lot inside
On that note, I was talking to a guy that asked if I could help him track down a Miata (I was really active in that community at the time, before mine got totalled.) I said sure, and asked him what he was looking for.

He said automatic.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Both my car and my ranger are manuals and I drive tractors at work so everything I regularly operate has a clutch. Absolutely every time I get in an auto I stomp the dead pedal. And the drive is so damn boring lol I don't know what to do with myself.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Of course the car warms up faster when you're in gear with high RPMs but that is the last thing you want to do when its -25 outside and your car is cold. I'm talking canaduh here man...
I think he meant the engine will build heat more quickly with some light throttle than it will with idle.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Until the idle begins to drop from high idle. Then granny drive until you get some decent heat. And pop open the manual and make sure your vent choice doesn't turn the AC on unless you really need it. And keep it on recirculate and fan off until the temp needle is near warm or your windows fog up.

Or miss your 99 Chrysler that did all of this automatically. Then Don't miss it's ability to puke transmissions.

·
Registered
252 Posts
26) You scoff at tiptronic and fancy paddle shifters

Thats me every second of every day! along with the cup holders thing. In the 04 hatch its greatly annoying. My favorite thing to do is when im taking my little sister to school and shes doing make up i tend to have the habit of just tapping the clutch while in gear and watching her swipe eye shadow across her face.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Thats me every second of every day! along with the cup holders thing. In the 04 hatch its greatly annoying. My favorite thing to do is when im taking my little sister to school and shes doing make up i tend to have the habit of just tapping the clutch while in gear and watching her swipe eye shadow across her face.
Ha ha awesome.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
5) The location of cup holders in relation to the shifter can make or break your car purchase.
I used to annoy the Hell out of my wife when we'd drive my Miata on long trips to the beach because I'd constantly tell her to hold her drink and stop sticking it in the cup holder. She'd complain it was making her hand cold, so I'd offer to pull over and let her pour it out. Instant angry fiance (at the time).

I'd just say it's either that, or I can't reach the shifter, which I kinda need to do if we're driving to the beach.

Even with the cupholders on my 3, if she puts anything tall enough that it interferes with me reaching the shifter, she automatically picks it up and holds it if she sees traffic/stop signs/traffic lights that would require me to shift into another gear. Took 8 years, but I finally trained her.:chuckles:

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Wish I could train everyone that goes in my cars lol. I've got the same problem
It requires years of hard work and dedication to being an unyielding @sshole about it.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Easy way to get people's feet of the dash, point out the airbag will eff them up if it goes off. Nobody likes their own knee through their face.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Took 8 years, but I finally trained her.:chuckles:

so awesome.

Got a good laugh from this thread. I do just about all of what has been said so far. ESPECIALLY not pressing the brake pedal on level ground at a stop light and/or proceeding to play the bass drum with it :D

Here's mine to add:

accidentally locking up the brakes and scaring the shit out of all the passengers when you went to press clutch and hit the brake because it's a shit automatic car.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
THISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHIS! ! ! ! ! ! !

Hate it so much, it's like they are trying to make you feel bad about your shifts.
Last time my wife did that in my Miata, I took off from a stop at full throttle, bumped the rev limiter and chirped 2nd. I had been driving pretty smoothly prior to that.

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts