Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to drive an automatic. Just today, I noticed I do a lot of things I wouldn't be driving if I continue to drive an automatic.

1) Once I stop the car completely at a red light and if I'm the first in the lane, instead of paying attention to to my own traffic light, I pay attention to the cross traffic's lights. So when it turns yellow, I put my shit in gear. USA don't have the intermediate "get ready yellow" like they do for the rest of the world.

2) When you're about to start a car, auto or manual, you indiscriminately stomp the shit out of the far left firewall. If it's an auto, your passengers will either think you're excited to drive the car, or mad as hell.

3) Your brakes last twice as long as your automatic friends.

4) You can parallel park all in neutral.

5) The location of cup holders in relation to the shifter can make or break your car purchase.

6) You have distinct "grips" for each gear changes.

7) You stop wearing your favorite shoes if they give you zero clutch feel.

8) You re-route if you know you'll be stuck in steep hills.

9) It annoys the crap out of you when other manual drivers fiddle with their shifter nonstop.

That's all I have for now!

·
Super Moderator
6,350 Posts
I lol'ed, definitely can relate to every single one... well except the first, which I did even when I had an auto. Only difference now, is it seems a bit more mandatory with a stick.

10) Warming up my car on colder mornings can be done on the fly! Put the car in neutral, roll out of the driveway, and down the street to the first stop sign before putting it in gear. :p

11) When in stop and go traffic (in gear) and there is more stop than go for a period of time, you pop the car out and back into of gear just to make sure that the car accidentally wasn't left in 3rd (paranoid habit)

12) Getting onto a set of ramps begins to pose a serious challenge

·
Registered
874 Posts
this a nice one!! lol I can relate to #1,2,5 definitely 6,7 and 9

13) when the car is fully stop on a red light, I tend to pump the clutch so i know for sure it will go into gear smoothly then do step below..

[quote author=Say Chi Sin Lo link=topic=211477.msg4249196#msg4249196 date=1342258897]

1) Once I stop the car completely at a red light and if I'm the first in the lane, instead of paying attention to to my own traffic light, I pay attention to the cross traffic's lights. So when it turns yellow, I put my shit in gear. USA don't have the intermediate "get ready yellow" like they do for the rest of the world.

[/quote]

14) consistently looking at the rpms when driving

15) when driving a friends or family auto car you hold onto the shifter and shift it at times or in your mind you tell the automatic car "shift shift!"

16) you use e-brake on a steep inclined parallel parking

17) you use e-brake on traffic lights / stop sign on steep inclined roads

18) you would hit your passengers knee when shifting at 5th gear.. (assuming you don't have a short shifter or you have a tall passenger)

19) your left foot steps on the dead pedal of an automatic cars when starting the car and when you are coming to complete stop.

20) when someone calls you from the cellphone, i tell them "can i call you back, because i'm driving!" then click!!

21) you rev match when down shifting (i.e heel and toe and double clutch technique)

·
Registered
36,000 Posts
So many nice Nikes I've stopped wearing because of a clutch. Now I'm constantly looking for Pumas or I just wear sandals.

I hit my girlfriends left arm all the time in the Miata. She looks at me weird and i just say "gtfo of the way," hah.

Drinks are no longer allowed in the car. I shouldnt have to be a contortionist to shift gears and have a soda.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Yea cups can be mega annoying. And I do the dead pedal thing every time I drive my gf's jeep. Oh and vibram five fingers are odd as shit to drive in. Hurts my feet more but you for sure feel everything.

·
Registered
36,000 Posts
$140 for those? Pfft... I drive barefoot more than anything.

Check out the cup holder situation in an NA miata. I have a shifter extender for a reason.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I only paid $90 for mine, they had some on sale for $50. But yea no way I'd spend $140.

Could be worse lol, vipers have no cup holders

·
Registered
172 Posts
hahahahaha awesome

·
Registered
186 Posts
Standard>Cup Holders

·
Registered
262 Posts
[quote author=r2rrita link=topic=211477.msg4249215#msg4249215 date=1342276184]
this a nice one!! lol I can relate to #1,2,5 definitely 6,7 and 9

13) when the car is fully stop on a red light, I tend to pump the clutch so i know for sure it will go into gear smoothly then do step below..

[quote author=Say Chi Sin Lo link=topic=211477.msg4249196#msg4249196 date=1342258897]

[/quote]

14) consistently looking at the rpms when driving

15) when driving a friends or family auto car you hold onto the shifter and shift it at times or in your mind you tell the automatic car "shift shift!"

16) you use e-brake on a steep inclined parallel parking

17) you use e-brake on traffic lights / stop sign on steep inclined roads

18) you would hit your passengers knee when shifting at 5th gear.. (assuming you don't have a short shifter or you have a tall passenger)

19) your left foot steps on the dead pedal of an automatic cars when starting the car and when you are coming to complete stop.

20) when someone calls you from the cellphone, i tell them "can i call you back, because i'm driving!" then click!!

21) you rev match when down shifting (i.e heel and toe and double clutch technique)
[/quote]

Lol, I love #20.

·
Registered
163 Posts
22) You accidentally downshift in an auto out of habit

23) If you're on a level road, you tend to chill at red lights with no brakes on at all, totally freaking the person out behind you 37% of the time.

24) You can pull the car into a parking spot, cut if off still rolling slowly/coming to a stop, and jump out before the passenger has realized what you have done.

25) Play "GUESS WHAT GEAR IM IN" with cute girls who have no idea how to drive stick.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
#22 and #23 definitely.

I have thrown an auto into N in an attempt to go from "4th -> 3rd."

I'm always scared while pulling out a #23. I always think some idiot will just truck through me.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I actually lol'd at #23 because i wonder how many people even realize that. Sometimes i play the bass on my brake pedal lol, really screw wif em.

·
Registered
186 Posts
26) You scoff at tiptronic and fancy paddle shifters

·
Registered
36,000 Posts
^ Tiptronic isn't all that bad. Its better than the car shifting for you.

Also, I do love shutting the car off while coasting up to the gas pump. People definitely don't get it.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
27. You immediately become annoyed and roll your eyes when someone complains it's hard to drive a stick shift.(I've driven manuals since I was 15, not that damned hard. Learn to shift, smoke a cigarette, talk on the cell phone, and sip on a drink all at the same time then get back to me.)

28. You confound the Hell out of car salesmen when you flatly refuse to even look at a car on their lot because it has an auto.:huh:

29. You see a sports car with an automatic, and die a little inside.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
10) Warming up my car on colder mornings can be done on the fly! Put the car in neutral, roll out of the driveway, and down the street to the first stop sign before putting it in gear. :p
That warms the car up more slowly than driving with a light foot and holding the rpms above 2k.

And #19 is a duplicate. Replace it with:
You panic for a moment when driving an auto & you take your foot off the brake at a red light.

#30: you're astounded how much harder you have to press the brake pedal when stopped at a red light in an automatic.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts