Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was coming back from getting groceries tonight and I turned a corner, where the local ricers sit, with my MazdaSpeed 3.  I am running with out a 2nd cat, so its open exhaust after the downpipe. Its loud but not as loud as some. Anyway, when I turned the corner, I had it in second and decided to mess around a bit so I let her rip in second, all the way through.  This was a 30 mph zone and for those of you who haven't ridden in a Speed 3 2nd gear tops out at about 50mph @5500 rpm. So the only other car on the road going the opposite way just so happened to be a local cop in an suv. He didn't get me with the radar so he had no exact speed that I was going.  Long story short, he ended up giving me a citation for "Racing on Highway".  For one I only said that I was just showing off a bit.  He had no speed that I was going so the only thing he had going was his opinion that I was speeding.  I didn't say that I WAS speeding but I also didn't say that I wasn't.  Also there was an acknowledgement that I had just purchased this vehicle at the end of december.  Maybe I could also argue that I am used to my other car still and did not realize the potential of the cars 2nd gear.  I could say that I thought that I wasn't going to go that fast, yada yada. 
I guess what I am asking is whether or not I would have more than a good chance to fight this in court or just pay the $108 citation? I am asking because I have no idea how this works.  Does this even show up on your insurance? I presume it would but it is a citation. They can give people a citation for not using proper signals or accidentally running a red light, and so on.  I'd appreciate any input from those that know something or anything about the court system and whatnot. Thanks,
TV

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol I wish, but I'm not used to this court thingy, but if i stuck to my guns of why i believe i should not be charged i think i can get off, also can you change your court date? im going to be busy on the day he assigned.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
You will probably lose.

How it goes depends on your area. Out here if your record is clean, you can claim guilty, pay the fine and be put on 6 month supervision. No tickets in that time frame and the ticket never happened.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
If you're fighting I'd just go in straight "nope, I wasn't speeding." It's your word against his if he didn't use anything to gauge your speed. I wouldn't bring the whole "well I didn't realize the potential of 2nd gear" crap into the argument, because that could lead to admitting guilt. It just be a hole for them to tear through. Go to court, and say, nope, I didn't do it.

Doesn't racing imply there was a 2nd car? His story sounds weak.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[quote author=blam link=topic=70302.msg1228951#msg1228951 date=1172300029]
showing off to ricers makes you a ricer.
[/quote]
well it wasn't really showing off to ricers, it was just more of an empty attempt to get them to chase after me like they did before, its quite funny. There was going to be no racing or anything dumb of the like.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[quote author=boardumb link=topic=70302.msg1228960#msg1228960 date=1172300332]
If you're fighting I'd just go in straight "nope, I wasn't speeding."  It's your word against his if he didn't use anything to gauge your speed.  I wouldn't bring the whole "well I didn't realize the potential of 2nd gear" crap into the argument, because that could lead to admitting guilt.  It just be a hole for them to tear through.  Go to court, and say, nope, I didn't do it.

Doesn't racing imply there was a 2nd car?  His story sounds weak.
[/quote]
As far as "racing" I believe that he meant that I was racing my car or driving too fast which in actual terms is a matter or his opinion and perspective.  He said that if there was another car then jail would be the result in the case of been seen as drag racing.  I think the citation means that I was racing my car around.
Plus if i went to court and say nope i didn't speed then that would be a matter or his word against mine especially since i did tell him that i was just showing off.  It would probably just make my life easier if i just payed the ticket i think. unless someone can think of anything that would strengthen my side other than proclaiming fault of his perception.

And thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
[quote author=tvissues link=topic=70302.msg1228888#msg1228888 date=1172297475]
lol I wish, but I'm not used to this court thingy, but if i stuck to my guns of why i believe i should not be charged i think i can get off, also can you change your court date? im going to be busy on the day he assigned.
[/quote]

Hate to be a dick, dude. But I would pay the fine and accept responsibility for my own actions. You drove by some ricers, wanted to show off and get their attention. So you did. Now you pay for the consequence of a juvenile decision. Not saying Ive never done anything citation-worthy on a street before, but I wouldn't sit there and say "I dont believe I should be charged"...

I think thats a load of shit, and you know what you were doing wrong.

Sorry to be such a dick. But I would man up and pay the fine. Besides you dont hold a very strong case driving a car with the word SPEED in its title.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[quote author=Boost Addict link=topic=70302.msg1229016#msg1229016 date=1172307557]
[quote author=tvissues link=topic=70302.msg1228888#msg1228888 date=1172297475]
[/quote]

Hate to be a dick, dude. But I would pay the fine and accept responsibility for my own actions. You drove by some ricers, wanted to show off and get their attention. So you did. Now you pay for the consequence of a juvenile decision. Not saying Ive never done anything citation-worthy on a street before, but I wouldn't sit there and say "I dont believe I should be charged"...

I think thats a load of shit, and you know what you were doing wrong.

Sorry to be such a dick. But I would man up and pay the fine. Besides you dont hold a very strong case driving a car with the word SPEED in its title.
[/quote]
well for one, I agree, I did know what i was doing. But for the legal side, there is no evidence of me actually speeding only the officers perception that he got in his rear view mirror. I don't care if i get charged really, that claim is correct in saying that i was showing off. what i really care about is the 108 dollar fine for keeping my car in 2nd and flooring it. try it sometime its really not that big of a deal. I was not dangerously speeding and the officer doesn't know how fast i was going. For all he knew i was only going 40 or so in the 30mph zone. I know what i did wrong, but i also know it was not street racing or driving like a maniac! it was only 2nd gear and making some noise. honestly I don't think it was a juvenial as flying through the gears going 80mph, or taking corners at high speeds.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
yeah thats true... I mean is it really harming anyone to be doing 50 in a 35... not really...

I say we should have the freedom to do 0-60 sprints from each light if we like... Only way I'd think youre a moron is if it was a school zone, or pedestrians about. Aside from that, sounds like youre just having fun. and like I said, I hate to be a prick about it, but Id just pay the fine and be done with it.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
just fight it. worst that will happen is you'll have to pay it.

i fight all my tickets. a cop has NEVER shown up to court for any of them. since it is also his word against your's, the judge is more apt to take the officer's side, however, with no hard evidence to back up his claim, you may win.

at the very least you should make the legal system provide you with the service it was intended for. too many people bend over and let uncle sam in.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
"to serve and protect"

from time to time again I wonder how going 5 over is protecting me, it sure as hell is serving me shit though. Theres also times to as why are there gangs and murders commited, and you see a cop hiding in the far distance in a corner where no one can see him, or 2-3 cops parked next to each other talking.

One guy at the gym says there should be police for the police for these rediculous fines. Its not serving or protecting anything but there paycheck.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
ps: what you did was pretty hurtin' but i can't say i've never floored it in second and blown past a cavalier with a huge wing just because it made me laugh.

ITHURTZ:

"the police used to watch over the people, now they're watching the people."

-charlie manson

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
[quote author=biped link=topic=70302.msg1229397#msg1229397 date=1172338017]
just fight it. worst that will happen is you'll have to pay it.

i fight all my tickets. a cop has NEVER shown up to court for any of them. since it is also his word against your's, the judge is more apt to take the officer's side, however, with no hard evidence to back up his claim, you may win.

at the very least you should make the legal system provide you with the service it was intended for. too many people bend over and let uncle sam in.
[/quote]

I tried to fight 2/3 tickets once (got them all at once). Cop pulled me over when I was comming back from the gym as I passed him on the side. Said someone called in 3 hrs prior and said I did this this this.. Tried to fight it, went on for over a year, pled guilty and took the $1,000 fine up the arse. I dont have time for that crap

I agree with charlie manson!

R

·
0 Posts
Good news. I got nailed for "Racing on Highway" so I can speak from experience. The only difference is, I'm in New Jersey, your in Kansas. So it may be a little different.

'Racing on Highway" is the act of racing two vehicles or making wagers for vehicular races And/Or the participation of illegal street racing. So yeah technically it would need to be two vehicles, however maybe the way the cop saw it was you were trying to beat another rice or whatever.

IF your driving record is clean or maybe one ticket, most likely it will be dropped to Careless Driving which is two points, and $133 fine. You should probably then take a Defensive Driver Training Course to get those two points taken off.

OR the prosecutor will nail your ass with the "Racing on Highway" which here in NJ is a 5 point fine, however in your state lol, i just looked it up it would be 1 month imprisonment, and a fine of no more then $500, and a 1 year suspension of license. Only way to keep license is to attend Driver Improvement Program.

You better fight it, looking at 1 month imprisonment and a lost of license is not fun.

GOOD LUCK!!!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts