Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, to start, it's not my choice. I'm in college now, and don't have my own driveway to do it. So, I've been taking it to Firestone Complete Auto Care up in Tally, and they've been great to me: a guy that works there knows me by name, I bring my own filter, and he does it himself, even knocks off a bit of the price since I'm in college and bring my own filter. Well, I drove home recently (to South Florida), and needed it done before I made my way back up here, to Pensacola. Well, I went to the Firestone there, assuming the service would be the same, if not better. Wrong. I brought my own filter, and got the answer 'nope, can't use people's, have to use our own'. Well, I told them I'd be coming the next day, told 'em what type of car, etc. I get there (first person), and tell 'em I called, and they were like 'ok, well we need to order the filter.' WTF? I told them I called and specifically told them I was coming (and mentioned the filter is special, and might have to be ordered), and the guy said he'd take care of it. Nope. So he ordered it, and it took 2-3 hours to get there. Not how I wanted to spend my morning, but w/e. They finish around 10, and I leave, to head home and then run some more errands. Well, I look up to check the little decal they put on there, to remind you, and notice they put in 'synthetic blend' instead of regular. WTF, again? I told them to put in regular (was planning on running full synthetic later), and now the douche bags put in that blended shit. So, my question is this: I can't go back to regular oil now, right? I have to go either the blend or full, right? Goddammit.

Also, if I have to stay synthetic now, where can I get a sticker to remind the douche bags of what they did, or whoever else changes it?

Thanks,
Kyle

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
kyle,

just run full synthetic from now on. your car will thank you. i've got four liters of mobil 1 full synthetic waiting in my car's back seat right now!

as far as i know, you can switch between oils at will. i don't think it really matters at all. that sucks about the filter though, they should have been more prepared. especially if they're running a business.

-elliott

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I guess it is just a prod in the ass to switch over already, lol. How much does Mobil 1 run? My only fear about doing it is getting pwnd price wise (especially without a job, but I'm working on that as soon as I get back to town).

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
no harm will come of going back to regular, synthetic is nice, but all it buys you is a longer service interval. If you want to change your oil every 3k, go to back to regular, if you want to change every 5k, get synthetic instead from now on. And yeah, do your oil changes yourself (if you can find a good place to do them), no reason to let those idiots touch your car, they'll charge you an arm and a leg for synthetic changes. . .

synthetic should run you about $5/quart, maybe a little more. . .

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Yea, you can switch from dino to semi-syn to full syn and back again whenever you want to. Sounds like you have no choice but to take it in, so I'll leave my usual DIY comment in my head and not type it
..................................................................DIY,DIY,DIY,DIY :klavergreg:

SORRY, I JUST COULDN'T HELP IT :p

Darryl

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
we don't go by quarts here, but basically a full amount of oil for a change (even mobil 1 full synthetic) runs me ~$50. sometimes less if there is a sale.

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trust me, guys, taking it in is like stabbing myself in the foot. I've done it myself since I began driving, and now that I'm in school, I can't. Maybe I can talk to my profs (mechanical engineering) in the next few semesters and see if they'll let me use a lift at the College, lol.

But seriously, I'm hoping to move into an apt./house with a few friends next year, so if that happens, I'll be able to DIY for sure. I think I'll start doing synthetic from now on, since you don't have to change until every 5k (must be nice) and it's overall (from what I've read/heard) better for a longer-lasting, happier engine. I might have a place to do it now (or next time, at least), I'll have to ask him next time I see him and see if his complex cares.

Thanks for the help, all. It's appriciated.

Kyle

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
yeah, some appt complexes are bitchy about that, my Homeowners Association used to have a problem with auto maintenance in my neighborhood. I fought it from the inside, I'm the president of the board of the HOA now, and guess what, auto maintenance is ok again :)

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[quote author=rubyred3 link=topic=65986.msg1131334#msg1131334 date=1167857691]
yeah, some appt complexes are bitchy about that, my Homeowners Association used to have a problem with auto maintenance in my neighborhood. I fought it from the inside, I'm the president of the board of the HOA now, and guess what, auto maintenance is ok again :)
[/quote]

haha nice. I'm going to ask him next time I talk to him, and we'll go from there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
[quote author=oneill8769 link=topic=65986.msg1131366#msg1131366 date=1167858343]
[quote author=rubyred3 link=topic=65986.msg1131334#msg1131334 date=1167857691]
[/quote]

haha nice. I'm going to ask him next time I talk to him, and we'll go from there.
[/quote]

sucks what happened
hey if u wanna go easy on the budget, u may just want to stick to either
a) Motorcraft 5w-20 (semi-syn) @ $2.50/qt
b) Pennzoil Platinum (full syn) @ $2.89/qt (advanceautoparts - pulled 3 minutes ago)

mobile1 is fine too, just more dough, but mshu7 says penn plat came back with a great UOA for him

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[quote author=Danger Mouse link=topic=65986.msg1131516#msg1131516 date=1167862433]
I am a college studen to, switch to mobil one is actually cheaper for me

Regular oil change @ 3k = 30 bucks

Mobil one @ 6k = 55 bucks
[/quote]

Even though it's 5 bucks, it counts. That at a Firestone (or similar place)?

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
[quote author=oneill8769 link=topic=65986.msg1131545#msg1131545 date=1167863478]
[quote author=Danger Mouse link=topic=65986.msg1131516#msg1131516 date=1167862433]

[/quote]

[/quote]

nope its my mazda dealer, they are pretty cool

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[quote author=Danger Mouse link=topic=65986.msg1131653#msg1131653 date=1167865776]
[quote author=oneill8769 link=topic=65986.msg1131545#msg1131545 date=1167863478]

[/quote]

[/quote]

nope its my mazda dealer, they are pretty cool
[/quote]

Nice. Well, I'm not due for another 2k miles, so I'll have to look around and find a reputable place (maybe my dealer, at least the one in Tally, will be cool about it)

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does anyone know a place that, if you supply your own oil (and filter, if possible), they'll only charge you for labor?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Your best bet is going to be a local "Mom-n-Pop" garage/lube. If you go to a chain, they will just up their labor rate so they will still make as much profit as if you bought the oil/filter from them. My local garage charges a flat rate of $15 if you bring in your own oil, or you don't.

I take my Moms Caddy there and I bring my own oil and filter, and I stand off to the side and I watch their every move. I trust them more then any other garage that I personally know, but I still buy 2 different brands of oil filters, NAPA Gold and WIX, (Both are the same great WIX filter, but they have different paint jobs) and I alternate them from OCI to OCI so I know that they did in fact change the filter. I can see them dump in the 5.5qts of oil since I watch the whole time, so I know the job is done right.......................Like I would do!

Darryl

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
[quote author=D Bone link=topic=65986.msg1131972#msg1131972 date=1167874746]
If you go to a chain, they will just up their labor rate so they will still make as much profit as if you bought the oil/filter from them.

[/quote]

justifiably so! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts