Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FOr Canadian models expecially, all the colors are metallic in nature. Are these colors set in stone? I have a beef with metallic paint. I might be forced to get Black Mica but black doesn't really contrast the lines of the car too well and will make it look bland.
My dad used to own a Mazda MPV with Metallic silverish paint and overtime it doesn't keep well. I noticed that overtime, there were serverla miniature rust "dots" on the paint, as if the metallic portion of the paint were rusting. Also for patching up rock chips and what not using touch up paint, the paint is impossible to match in color so there would be areas of splotchiness where it was evident that touch up paint was applied.
I am really turned on by the tit grey but I hate that its a metallic color b/c those rust dots will form 2-3 yrs down the road and I don't want that.
My brother on the other hand drives a black EL and when he applies touch up paint, you can barely notice it.

Thoughts guys?
Keep the pics flowing as well...can't get enough of this car..

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
The PRO is Sunlight Silver Metallic. It still looks good 27mths later but you're right in that it's difficult, actually no it's impossible to touch-up. I got this touch-up paint from Mazda and it's like I'm applying a coat of clear nail polish :) You can still see the scratch, but now it's covered instead of bare.

That being said I would have no prob going w/a metallic paint again.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the colors are not officially posted on mazda.ca. On the Bruno site, it lists the colors as most of them except for black is metallic based paint. I'm going to wait for some sort of confirmation.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dinu01 said:
The PRO is Sunlight Silver Metallic. It still looks good 27mths later but you're right in that it's difficult, actually no it's impossible to touch-up. I got this touch-up paint from Mazda and it's like I'm applying a coat of clear nail polish :) You can still see the scratch, but now it's covered instead of bare.

That being said I would have no prob going w/a metallic paint again.
Have u seen any small rust spots/dots? My dad had the van for about 4 years and that when they started showing up.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I've seen one the size of a needle's point this summer when cleaning it. The car should hold up well though. It doesn't have paint chips on it, etc... It certainly can't be worse than my 93 Civic was in 2001.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I'd rather have metallic paint.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ATL said:
Better than single stage paint.
Why is it better than single stage paint?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Because non metallic paint just looks bland typically...gotta make those cars pop if you want to sell them
Those rust spots on the MPV were probably from stuff accumulating ON the paint, not acutal rust coming through the paint and could most likely be taken off.
Silver paint doesnt have the best track record of holding up, but I havent had any problem with either of the silver cars I've owned...plus they hide dirt real well. I think advancements in either formula or application have pretty much taken the worry out of that in recent years

·
Banned
868 Posts
neomonkey said:
Well the colors are not officially posted on mazda.ca. On the Bruno site, it lists the colors as most of them except for black is metallic based paint. I'm going to wait for some sort of confirmation.
Yes they're posted up on the Mazda.ca site.

Look harder :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Levitron said:
neomonkey said:
Yes they're posted up on the Mazda.ca site.

Look harder :)
well he made that post two months ago, so you can't blame him :lol:

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yuki said:
all colors ar metallic base except the artic white color
Nordic Green is non-metallic. One of the blues is non-metallic also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Metallic is better. Don't expect applying touchup paint out of one of those little tubes to ever substitute for repainting the entire panel properly.
Non metallic paint fades easier too.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Butters said:
schulkw said:
Yuki said:
all colors ar metallic base except the artic white color
Nordic Green is non-metallic. One of the blues is non-metallic also.
Black Mica is non-metallic (I think)
the black mica is metallic....i saw the real thing....

sorry...we, Canada don't have that nice green....*sniff sniff* :cry:

·
Registered
396 Posts
well, it probably looks metallic because ot the clear coat on new cars
but on the website mazda.ca, it just says black mica
while the other colors say metallic (ie: titanium grey METALLIC)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts