Mazda3 Forums banner

Xenon Question

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  rpc180 
#1 ·
Seeing as how the dealers can change the bulbs for the turn signals does anyone know if it's possible for a dealer to do the following: I just bought a 2004 mazda3 hatchback, thinking it came with the xenon package which it didn't. I tried calling the dealer and asking them if it was possible to have the Xenon package, with or without the TPMS option, installed afterwards, like an accessory.... and it was like they had no idea what i was talking about... telling me that I wasn't gauranteed they'd fit and that they don't even know if it was possible that they sell them. Does anyone know if this switch is possible? The ones that come with it without xenons are bright but i want xenon's because my eyes are terrible especially in the rain... thanks for your help!

#2 ·
It is not possible at this time.

Mazda has made none of the "Package Part" available after the sale of the vehicle. I tried adding the GPS and Xenon, and my dealer told me that both items had to be factory installed.

I raised brow to this, only because I wondered what happens in an accident or vandalism.

However, the cost to do it after the sale would also run you about $2500-3000 after parts and labor.

EDIT: And before an evil MOD finds you, you should add your profile information. Welcome to the board! 8)

#9 ·
Not an excuse for not checking the window sticker, but...

Mazda3 lighting options are a bit confusing at first, because it takes a while to realize that BOTH xenon and halogen systems use projector beam optics. If you are shopping for other cars in the class, they usually only have projector beam lenses in the HID system, and use reflector optics for the regular system.

I did a summer internship at Guide Corp, which designs and builds automotive exterior lighting, mostly for GM. I worked on trying to use neon in rear turn signal lights, but you need a very long tube to get enough light out to meet legal requirements. I was geeking out about the headlights at every dealership I went to. The salesguys thought I was nuts.

#10 ·
prismglass said:
Not an excuse for not checking the window sticker, but...

Mazda3 lighting options are a bit confusing at first, because it takes a while to realize that BOTH xenon and halogen systems use projector beam optics. If you are shopping for other cars in the class, they usually only have projector beam lenses in the HID system, and use reflector optics for the regular system.

I did a summer internship at Guide Corp, which designs and builds automotive exterior lighting, mostly for GM. I worked on trying to use neon in rear turn signal lights, but you need a very long tube to get enough light out to meet legal requirements. I was geeking out about the headlights at every dealership I went to. The salesguys thought I was nuts.
cool! sounds like a fun job! i love automotive lighting... BMW uses neon tubes on the 3-series cabrio CHMSL... and the Z8 had neon lights for everything but the headlights!

#11 ·
During that summer the Z8 had come out with the neon front turn signal, and Guide Corp acquired one to test out. (Those lights did have regular incandescent bulbs in addition to the neon to help meet the legal beam requirements.)

We MELTED the front turn signal light! Apparently 1) they were not designed with enough heat management to be left on for three hours at a time (high-brightness neon gets VERY warm) and 2) one end of the bulb was held in place with hot glue. Yes, the glue got hot enough that it melted and then caused the aluminization behind the neon tube to bubble.

Right now, CHMSLs are the only place that is really practical for neon. You just need 4 square inches of lit area, and it doesn't have to be very bright. Neon must be shielded, or it gives off tons of EMI. If your ears are sensitive enough, the EMI is a very loud, high pitched squeal!

#12 ·
How about the Cold Cathode lights that we modders use in our computer cases? :wink: They can come as large as 16", and in 80mm diameter circles too. We moved away from automotive neon to CCFL cause of the temperature increases that auto neon introduced into computer cases.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.