Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have been told by Ken at Mazda3online that my XEDE will arrive Sat. (I had it shipped very express)...I will be installing it in a very stealth like manner and when I have to remove it for Warr. work it will be almost undetectable. (I was a mobile electronics installer for 15 years). Nutari and Stephanie will be my support if any issues and will be of more help when mods are done....!...right?

I will let everyone know what I think when I install it.

Joe

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
impressive :D
we still meeting up sunday or will you be busy under the hood? If you want to meet up another time I understand. But you will definately have to give me a ride in the tuned up machine ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey all,

Not here DAMN IT... Ken at Mazda3online...Ordered it for Sat. del. but BEGi sent it out overnight...Mon. delivery.

Oh well...I must say Ken a Mazda3online.com is awesome...great customer service!!!!!!!!!!!!! Almost immediate responses to e-mails and phone calls.

Joe

·
Registered
355 Posts
:shock: :shock: ITS MONDAY!!! whats the word???

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
[quote author=sturge-speed3 link=topic=67391.msg1162226#msg1162226 date=1169478379]
[/quote]

snow/ice? :)

be interested in seeing how you install this thing to be "undetectable" for warranty work... I think if a mazda tech see's electrical tape/heatshrink on anything to the ECU that wasn't there before....would be a big red flag.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
[quote author=Mellman link=topic=67391.msg1162263#msg1162263 date=1169479744]
[quote author=sturge-speed3 link=topic=67391.msg1162226#msg1162226 date=1169478379]
[/quote]

snow/ice? :)

be interested in seeing how you install this thing to be "undetectable" for warranty work... I think if a mazda tech see's electrical tape/heatshrink on anything to the ECU that wasn't there before....would be a big red flag.
[/quote]

Maybe not if it's way back in the harness. The harnesses aren't always pristine from the factory.

·
Registered
75 Posts
[quote author=jnprn2003 link=topic=67391.msg1160033#msg1160033 date=1169333773]
Not here DAMN IT... Ken at Mazda3online...Ordered it for Sat. del. but BEGi sent it out overnight...Mon. delivery.
Joe[/quote]

Talked to UPS earlier. The box was sent saturday delivery, but UPS screwed up. :bash: I'm sorry.... refunds are being processed.
Stephanie

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey all,

1/22...Installed (in a temporary fashion at this point, 26 degrees in my garage...) The product is worth every freakin penny! Can you say PUUULLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....I have a close friend who is opening a service shop early Feb. and will be there doing perm. install...to cold to really get involved, everything including my hands. I did solder all ends though. I also broke one on the clips that hold the cover on...need to fix that.

Joe...Stephanie no worries...Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey all,

Mellman (I am sorry if I screwed the spelling up)...

I will attempt to make the install as stealthy as I can. For warranty visits, I will remove the XEDE. The harness that came with the XEDE was really short (under 6 inches) and I attempted to place the wiring as close to the car side of the wiring. All of my new ( I installed it on in a temporary fashion...too cold) connections will use shrink wrapped quick connects and the tap in's will use a soldered pigtail with a quick connect. All of these wires will be under factory spec loom (like a vinyl wrap) and taped like the factory does...this is for warranty visits only. Otherwise the cover will conceal the wires and the XEDE box will sit in front of battery case...and will have it's own mount when the CAI goes in.
If the dealer goes looking they will obviously see something has changed...But they must go looking and if you don't give them a reason to they won't.

When I installed Mobile electronics for a living (15 years) I became quite good at making things look like they were un-altered. BUT, you cannot install something and have it appear unaltered at the same time. Hence the wanting of P & P.... I will take my chances with the dealer.

Joe

·
Registered
355 Posts
any pictures?? any examples of the "PPUUULLLLLLLL!!!!!!"? We all want some stories!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey all,

Some one want's a story...

Now remember it's 25 degrees and the ground is really cold, but dry..tires also cold....I had to get used to this car when I first purchased it since it was my first front drive turbo car...Brake slow into corner...get boost on the way out...right?

I had just installed this lovely device (XEDE) and went for a ride with a friend who is a "tuner" of sorts. Mind you there is much traffic..so I decide to go down this windy road near a park I live near. I have been down this road 100's of times and have taken this great corner at over 60 mph many times..slow in and fast out...Third, DSC off...Step on gas tires smoke up and I do a 180 at over 60mph..about 1 foot or so from a stone wall...(no accident thank GOD) and the tire smoke is everywhere...I stomp the clutch and hit second and pull out of it like a pro (I am not, but my friend thinks I am now) going the other direction.

The pull is strong and long...it's like a different car...I will need to re-learn the throttle and when boost kicks in now..and of -course get wider tires. I AM VERY IMPRESSED!!!

I can't wait for my other mods and a tune (help) from BEGi/ProtegeGarage/Nutari?

Joe

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Maybe it would be safer to let the DSC do its job until you adjust to the power increase.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey all,

That take some of the fun out of it.. :lol:?...My stupid mistake of having cold tires and being unsure of what this product could do...Too much traffic and this was the first time I really got on it. You are probably right.

Joe

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
im curious as to how well you can light up the tires while driving...

Such as, if youre just cruising at 65-70... can you drop it in third and light the tires up? :D

Oh and does this tune get rid of the 1st and 2nd gear torque limiter? It'd be nice to get some 0-60 figures... if you can at all...

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
[quote author=Boost Addict link=topic=67391.msg1163719#msg1163719 date=1169525641]
im curious as to how well you can light up the tires while driving...

Such as, if youre just cruising at 65-70... can you drop it in third and light the tires up? :D

Oh and does this tune get rid of the 1st and 2nd gear torque limiter? It'd be nice to get some 0-60 figures... if you can at all...
[/quote]

Hey Boost Addict, decided to pop back in for a visit? Before Nutari sees this thread and goes "for the 100th time, the boost limit is gone if you want it gone" . . . for the 100th time, the boost limit is gone, if you want it gone.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
[quote author=jnprn2003 link=topic=67391.msg1163663#msg1163663 date=1169523557]
Hey all,

Now remember it's 25 degrees and the ground is really cold, but dry..tires also cold....I had to get used to this car when I first purchased it since it was my first front drive turbo car...Brake slow into corner...get boost on the way out...right?

I had just installed this lovely device (XEDE) and went for a ride with a friend who is a "tuner" of sorts. Mind you there is much traffic..so I decide to go down this windy road near a park I live near. I have been down this road 100's of times and have taken this great corner at over 60 mph many times..slow in and fast out...Third, DSC off...Step on gas tires smoke up and I do a 180 at over 60mph..about 1 foot or so from a stone wall...(no accident thank GOD) and the tire smoke is everywhere...I stomp the clutch and hit second and pull out of it like a pro (I am not, but my friend thinks I am now) going the other direction.
Joe
[/quote]

Niiice!

·
Registered
355 Posts
[quote author=jnprn2003 link=topic=67391.msg1163663#msg1163663 date=1169523557]
Hey all,

The pull is strong and long...it's like a different car...I will need to re-learn the throttle and when boost kicks in now..and of -course get wider tires. I AM VERY IMPRESSED!!!

I can't wait for my other mods and a tune (help) from BEGi/ProtegeGarage/Nutari?

Joe
[/quote]

Thanks I appreciate it!! Those of us who are still waiting for our babys to be delivered need to live our little ms3 fantasies through you guys who have your cars already!!

If you get the chance with warm tires, I am sure we would all love to see some numbers that your producing (0-60, horsepower and torque, etc)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey all,

Boost Addict,

On a corner with DSC off...the tire spin like crazy...!
It is quite wild. Boost allover the place. :shock: :shock: :shock: :D

Joe

1 - 20 of 38 Posts