Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just another Survey of sort...

How many of you will be using an XEDE or will be waiting for the COBB and Others to complete their products?
I sort of like the Idea of not reflashing the ECU and just telling it what to do using the XEDE. There is something about mazda ECU's that scare me...Many controls built in and reflashing is questionable. I am no expert in any way, a few of my friends who are mechanics and tuners agree, besides it just seems to make sense.

Comments

Joe in RI

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
Im doing one of them

RIght now XEDE is out but isnt plug n play

I want to have the 2 compared before purchase XEDE $999 and Cobb is supposed to be around $700

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
[quote author=Mattleegee link=topic=66934.msg1149249#msg1149249 date=1168804084]
Im doing one of them

I want to have the 2 compared before purchase XEDE $999 and Cobb is supposed to be around $700
[/quote]
+1
the car needs a tune ....i'm not one for a piggyback, but we'll see

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
first - I am going to wait for boost addict to do it...and then true boost and then Mattleegee. :)
after they've been running stable for a year. I may go the access port way.

If not, I may just do the factory upgrades. but I think the right way to do it is, Accessport first - then hardware. Given access port has upgraded ecu settings/software for the hardware upgrades.

·
Registered
151 Posts
[quote author=Mattleegee link=topic=66934.msg1149249#msg1149249 date=1168804084]
Im doing one of them

[/quote]
$999 is a hefty asking price for less than $50 worth of electronics. Someone sure is making a nice profit.

·
Registered
639 Posts
[quote author=rdracer link=topic=66934.msg1150200#msg1150200 date=1168847608]
Im doing one of them

[/quote]
$999 is a hefty asking price for less than $50 worth of electronics. Someone sure is making a nice profit.
[/quote]

You're right, but you're looking at it all wrong. The dollar/hp ratio is SICK. One grand for what you get is a GREAT aftermarket buy from that perspective. Kinda puts to shame the gains to be had in a regular Mazda 3 for the same amount of money. And that goes for various N/A cars out there.

As for Xede vs. AP, I would choose a reflash ANYDAY. Beware of alot of craptacular info that's spread on the internet or any media for that matter. An ECU retune is a MUCH safer, reliable, and trustworthy route to getting the gains you want. Piggybacks generally tend to be band-aids of the real problem. I'm not saying anything in particular against the Xede because frankly I have not looked into it enough to draw solid conclusions of my own. But in any given case, a retune will be a complete solution to the problem.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
u cant find a better hp gain for the bucks......and ken from protege garage repeated said the price is not 700....and when u reflash to stock.....mazda have EQ to find out what have flash and when to the ecu......im going for xede for sure....just waiting for plug and play....

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
[quote author=rdracer link=topic=66934.msg1150200#msg1150200 date=1168847608]
Im doing one of them

[/quote]
[/quote]

you are not just paying for the parts. if that were the case, you would pay 12k for your MS3

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
these numbers are for real just to demonstrate the point... 100 for materials, 700 for time, development, knowledge, 200 for them having the only one out right now

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I'll most likely be going with one... I just don't know which yet. i want both to be out before I decide. One thing that is very attractive about the COBB solution is the price tag at this point. I hope that The capitalism works itself out and they decide to not only compete on product, but price as well.

Most of my mods at first will probably *don't quote me on this!* not be performance oriented. I'll probably be doing my custom nav (carpc), remote start, seat heaters, autodim side mirrors, sound system, things like that before i throw an intake or exhaust on.

·
Registered
355 Posts
[quote author=Mellman link=topic=66934.msg1150309#msg1150309 date=1168871788]
I'll most likely be going with one... I just don't know which yet. i want both to be out before I decide. One thing that is very attractive about the COBB solution is the price tag at this point. I hope that The capitalism works itself out and they decide to not only compete on product, but price as well.

Most of my mods at first will probably *don't quote me on this!* not be performance oriented. I'll probably be doing my custom nav (carpc), remote start, seat heaters, autodim side mirrors, sound system, things like that before i throw an intake or exhaust on.
[/quote]

funny, mine will be the opposite!! I will be going with COBB. I have been researching COBB for a couple of months now as I was going to buy a 2007 STi and fell in love with the numbers that the stage 2 AP (AP,and TBE = stage 2) produced. I chose the speed3 instead of the STi because i save about $20,000 CAD and that leaves alot of cash for upgrades. check out their numbers for results from their accessport...They are going to get better numbers out of the speed3 because of how rich the speed3 runs. Another plus is that I wont have to weld any wires together under the hood...just plug and play!

By the way...if your planning on either of these, make sure you replace the plastic BPV...i recommend still going with a recirc. set up, but if you prefer the ppssshhhhh! noise to be stupid loud, than go for the VTA style. (if you want recirc. with pppssshhhh!! get yourself a CAI too, thats my plan).

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
[quote author=sturge-speed3 link=topic=66934.msg1150417#msg1150417 date=1168878082]

[/quote]

funny, mine will be the opposite!! I will be going with COBB. I have been researching COBB for a couple of months now as I was going to buy a 2007 STi and fell in love with the numbers that the stage 2 AP (AP,and TBE = stage 2) produced. I chose the speed3 instead of the STi because i save about $20,000 CAD and that leaves alot of cash for upgrades. check out their numbers for results from their accessport...They are going to get better numbers out of the speed3 because of how rich the speed3 runs. Another plus is that I wont have to weld any wires together under the hood...just plug and play!

By the way...if your planning on either of these, make sure you replace the plastic BPV...i recommend still going with a recirc. set up, but if you prefer the ppssshhhhh! noise to be stupid loud, than go for the VTA style. (if you want recirc. with pppssshhhh!! get yourself a CAI too, thats my plan).
[/quote]

Yeah I've been doing plenty of research on both sides...and COBB had me at hello, then they stopped talking :( Then XEDE came and flashed all this shiny stuff in front of me...and COBB stayed silent. I'll be waiting for their reply. its not a huge deal for me because i have yet to even get my car - but we'll see when all our out said and done, I'm sure there will be many posts comparing/contrasting the two on here :) i'm not worried.

·
Registered
757 Posts
You folks are all forgetting one thing. COBB is NOT cheaper. Their base system is $700~ If you want to do any tuning on your own, you have to pay them $200 to use their software. If you want to, you can buy it for the base map (If they have one) then wait months at a time for them to release more maps as they get them. The XEDE comes with everything.

The XEDE is not JUST band aid. Have you even taken a look at the web page and seen exactly what it does? Let me show you.

Technical Specifications

* 2400 possible adjustments per bank
* 0.1% full-scale accuracy on analog channel adjustments (MAF, MAP, TPS)
* 0.1degree accuracy on timing adjustments
* Direct plug-in adaptor available for Mitsubishi EVO V / VI / VII / IIIV, 01-05 Subaru WRX, 04 STi, 2001/02 GT Forester, Mazda RX8

Boost control example

We now have XEDE boost control working in both absolute
and intercept modes. In absolute mode, you simply input
your desired wastegate duty cycles as a function of load and RPM and
your factory boost control hardware does the rest.

In intercept mode, instead of inputting actual duty cycle values, you input offset to stock. For example, if you want 14.8% more boost , you simply put "14.8%" in the desired cells in your boost map.

In either mode, you have the ability to run a RPM-dependant boost profile of your choice. This is far superior to using a stand-alone boost controller,
most of which are only capable of holding one boost level all the way
up to redline. Also, the boost control logic in the XEDE greatly
improves both low RPM and partial-throttle boost response

[/quote][quote author=Mellman link=topic=66934.msg1150486#msg1150486 date=1168880993]
[quote author=sturge-speed3 link=topic=66934.msg1150417#msg1150417 date=1168878082]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah I've been doing plenty of research on both sides...and COBB had me at hello, then they stopped talking :( Then XEDE came and flashed all this shiny stuff in front of me...and COBB stayed silent. I'll be waiting for their reply. its not a huge deal for me because i have yet to even get my car - but we'll see when all our out said and done, I'm sure there will be many posts comparing/contrasting the two on here :) i'm not worried.
[/quote]

·
Registered
355 Posts
[quote author=Mellman link=topic=66934.msg1150486#msg1150486 date=1168880993]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Im still waiting for my car too, where do you live?? Im in Toronto Ontario and my dealer said the end of January...then called back and said 3 week delay, now end of february...what about you Mellman?

Nutari- I appreciate the information. I have not looked into the XEDE at all because I have all the respect in the world for what COBB produces. having said that, I am always open to learning more and more about new products. Are you running the xede in your car right now? If so, how has it effected your ride, dyno #'s, and any other insight you can give to the product. I know you have been talking about it for a while, but I cant seem to find that information right now. I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
757 Posts
[quote author=sturge-speed3 link=topic=66934.msg1150665#msg1150665 date=1168886303]
Nutari- I appreciate the information. I have not looked into the XEDE at all because I have all the respect in the world for what COBB produces. having said that, I am always open to learning more and more about new products. Are you running the xede in your car right now? If so, how has it effected your ride, dyno #'s, and any other insight you can give to the product. I know you have been talking about it for a while, but I cant seem to find that information right now. I appreciate your help.
[/quote]

Yes I am running the XEDE in my car.

Dyno #'s from BEGi put the car at 288 WHP and 310TQ. about a 50hp/70tq gain. I am scheduled to dyno later in the month and hit the drags around the same time.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Im looking forward to your dyno #'s and the drag results...good luck. do you have any other mods to the car, or only the XEDE tuning?

·
Registered
757 Posts
[quote author=sturge-speed3 link=topic=66934.msg1150707#msg1150707 date=1168887465]
Im looking forward to your dyno #'s and the drag results...good luck. do you have any other mods to the car, or only the XEDE tuning?
[/quote]

protegegarage.com TMIC upgrade, AWR motor mount.

to be installed (sitting in my room waiting for a sunny day)

HKS TT
Short ram intake
AEM wideband

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
[quote author=sturge-speed3 link=topic=66934.msg1150665#msg1150665 date=1168886303]
[quote author=Mellman link=topic=66934.msg1150486#msg1150486 date=1168880993]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Im still waiting for my car too, where do you live?? Im in Toronto Ontario and my dealer said the end of January...then called back and said 3 week delay, now end of february...what about you Mellman?

[/quote]

I have a build date of 1.20.07 and a ship date of 1.25.07 - estimated delivery mid march... :(

-matt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts