Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i decide to change my oil today instead of having someone else do it. in the process of searching for an oil filter i end up at kragen because the mazda parts is closed on sundays. anyway, the first store doesn't have any so they point me to another store that has one left. they tell me it is 13.99. i think, "wow, that's quite a bit but i need to get this done today." so i go over to the other store and when i get there they find the part for be in their back shelves, scan it and it is actually 20.99. WTF!? that's almost as much as the dealer charges for an oil change. i don't understand how it can be that expensive. needless to say i didn't get it. i ended up going to pep boys to get a purolator one for 6.99.
the next fun thing was i didn't think i needed an oil filter wrench but now i'm sitting and waiting for my wife to come back home with our other car to get one since now i've drained my oil but couldn't get the filter off. also the stupid drain plug was really stuck. didn't have a breaker bar so ended up using a torque wrench to get that damn thing off even though i know you're not suppose to. anyway, guess i'm done with my rant. now i remember why i stopped working on my cars. but i guess this is going to get a lot easier the second time around.

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
why would you think you could get a canister filter off without the proper tool?

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
[quote author=alecshawn link=topic=70473.msg1232098#msg1232098 date=1172457806]
Reason #5002 to just goto the Dealer...In the end its just easier.
[/quote]

reason number ONE to NOT go to the dealer, they will probably screw it up (which negates reason #5002 you cited, my local dealer pinched the o-ring once, needless to say, I was pretty pissed to pay someone to do it and have them screw it up and drop oil all over my driveway).

reason number TWO, they charge $47 for an oil change. I got 6 filter/o-ring kits off of ebay (OEM parts even) for $30, so $5/filter, add 5 quarts of mobil one and I'm getting it done for ~$25, and with full synthetic. Its not hard either, takes about 15 minutes of actually touching the car, and I get a much more complete drain cuz I let it sit for a while. Different strokes for different folks, if you like taking yours to the dealer, go for it, but its a SIMPLE job, it IS a good way to save money, and once you've done it once, the next time goes even quicker.

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
i've changed the oil on about 20 mazda 3's.

the biggest pain is dropping the skid platting...taking off the canister filter just involves a 3/8's wrench and a cup extension...twist twist...new filter and new rubber band gasket and its done....the 2.0's are easier tho with the normal filter.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
cut an access hole in the splash guard (its plastic, so it wouldn't do much good as a skid plate) and its a lot quicker still. . .

·
Registered
30,738 Posts
cleaning the canister isn't very fun either.....lol. I think from now on I'll just order the whole canister part (comes with filter)...tonkin charged me about $11 for it....then you don't gotta worry about cleaning

·
Registered
190 Posts
[quote author=rubyred3 link=topic=70473.msg1232121#msg1232121 date=1172458411]
[quote author=alecshawn link=topic=70473.msg1232098#msg1232098 date=1172457806]
Reason #5002 to just goto the Dealer...In the end its just easier.
[/quote]

reason number ONE to NOT go to the dealer, they will probably screw it up (which negates reason #5002 you cited, my local dealer pinched the o-ring once, needless to say, I was pretty pissed to pay someone to do it and have them screw it up and drop oil all over my driveway).

reason number TWO, they charge $47 for an oil change. I got 6 filter/o-ring kits off of ebay (OEM parts even) for $30, so $5/filter, add 5 quarts of mobil one and I'm getting it done for ~$25, and with full synthetic. Its not hard either, takes about 15 minutes of actually touching the car, and I get a much more complete drain cuz I let it sit for a while. Different strokes for different folks, if you like taking yours to the dealer, go for it, but its a SIMPLE job, it IS a good way to save money, and once you've done it once, the next time goes even quicker.
[/quote]
47.00 for an oil change....Jeez mine is the low 20's. How in the world are they charging 47? The MOST ive seen around here is 29.00

·
Registered
190 Posts
[quote author=boardumb link=topic=70473.msg1232184#msg1232184 date=1172459671]
Don't mind alecshawn rubyred3. He's just a guy who doesn't enjoy taking care of his car personally like the rest of us and relies on products such as Nufinish.

[/quote]
?? Enjoy what? I take it to the dealer to get it serviced..Thats pretty normal. As for Nufinish..Yep thats what ive used for years and my vehicles always look great. Just because i dont change my own oil anymore since around 1991...That doesnt mean i dont like to take care of it. Just because i dont use 50.00 wax doesnt mean my car doesnt shine.

·
Registered
190 Posts
[quote author=boardumb link=topic=70473.msg1232310#msg1232310 date=1172462731]
It's just my opinion you don't enjoy taking care of your car, and my opinion any car with nufinish doesn't shine.
[/quote]
So...Lets see..I washed my car at work on Friday...Yes, it shines. Yes, i use nufinish. No one really cares that your car"shines" like you think they do. Most of us have lives. Our vehicles just arent "our lives". If i put my car next to yours and ask the first person who walks by..they couldnt tell what the difference was. Mine is Titanium Grey. Now, In the future dont hijack a thread. I gave a response and stated to take it to the dealer. No one ask for your "childish" response. You also need to grow up. Get some responsibility in life.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I can't have my own opinion? Oh no... :lmp180psu:

Anyway, if you find good deals, yo can usually get penzoil synthetic as cheap as (If not cheaper) 10 bucks for 5 quarts, throw in a 5-7 dollar filter (9 for the pureone?) and you get a pretty damn good price on a top of the line oil change. If you have a location to do your own oil change, do it. It's pretty easy when your used to it. (I'm kinda rusty, lived in apartment complexes way too long)

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
[quote author=rubyred3 link=topic=70473.msg1232175#msg1232175 date=1172459538]
cut an access hole in the splash guard (its plastic, so it wouldn't do much good as a skid plate) and its a lot quicker still. . .
[/quote]

can't really do that working at pennzoil..

[quote author=boardumb link=topic=70473.msg1232342#msg1232342 date=1172463608]
I can't have my own opinion? Oh no... :lmp180psu:

Anyway, if you find good deals, yo can usually get penzoil synthetic as cheap as (If not cheaper) 10 bucks for 5 quarts, throw in a 5-7 dollar filter (9 for the pureone?) and you get a pretty damn good price on a top of the line oil change. If you have a location to do your own oil change, do it. It's pretty easy when your used to it. (I'm kinda rusty, lived in apartment complexes way too long)
[/quote]

its 6 dollars more to get synthetic where i work.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Go to http://www.filter1.com/ and for $3.14 you can buy all of the Wix filters you want to. It sounds like you had a rough time with your first oil & filter change. You NEED a cartridge filter cap removal tool (Rite-Fit A251, @ Pep Boys) to do the job correctly. Take your time and it's a very simple job that should take you well under an hour to finish.

Darryl

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
[quote author=small town king link=topic=70473.msg1232021#msg1232021 date=1172456385]
why would you think you could get a canister filter off without the proper tool?
[/quote]
i actually have a cartridge filter on my mazda. but i figured it was like my bmw, which once you take off the bolt, the top comes off. unfortunately with the mazda you have to take off the bolt and then unscrew the top. i couldn't get back to the auto store before they closed so i ended up going to walmart. didn't have the oil filter wrench i was hoping for so i ended up getting one that is normally used for canisters and after some effort it eventually worked.

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
all you have to do is unscrew the canister from the oilpan. it'll drop down the little top and the filter will be on the inside.

i know exactly how it is. i work at pennzoil. and have done prolly around 20 mazda 3's. and mine.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
[quote author=half_guard link=topic=70473.msg1232528#msg1232528 date=1172468143]
[quote author=small town king link=topic=70473.msg1232021#msg1232021 date=1172456385]
[/quote]
i actually have a cartridge filter on my mazda. but i figured it was like my bmw, which once you take off the bolt, the top comes off. unfortunately with the mazda you have to take off the bolt and then unscrew the top. i couldn't get back to the auto store before they closed so i ended up going to walmart. didn't have the oil filter wrench i was hoping for so i ended up getting one that is normally used for canisters and after some effort it eventually worked.
[/quote]

well, if you take your car to jiffy lube, they will gladly overtighten that middle canister drain plug for you, so you can use that to get the whole filter canister off, at least thats what happened to me, dipshits apparently have no idea what 18 ft-lbs is (its barely finger tight). They also left out SIX of the bolts that hold on the splash guard underneath (only 4 were left holding it in place, it was almost dragging on the road!), so that they could just bend it out of the way for subsequent oil changes. I saw them doing this, and called their manager in, and made it very clear that this is NOT how they would treat their own cars, so why was it acceptable for them to treat customer cars like this. That was all the motivation I needed to do my own changes on this car (that and the fact that I am now a homeowner, and have a driveway to do it in).

I can understand those that don't do their own oil changes, I've just had them screwed up enough times (by quick change places, AND by the dealer) that I don't trust anyone to work on my car unless its something I genuinely cannot do myself. I didn't change my own oil when I lived in an appt, so I can understand why some wouldn't do them on their own, I just will never let someone else change my oil again unless I know them and know I can trust them not to screw it up.

And as far as nufinish goes, its crap as far as how it shines, but if you don't wanna have to wax your car more than once a year, it will at least do some good. Its a good low maintenance product, although if you want a "once a year" polish, Zaino is far superior.

·
Registered
466 Posts
[quote author=D Bone link=topic=70473.msg1232389#msg1232389 date=1172465544]
Go to http://www.filter1.com/ and for $3.14 you can buy all of the Wix filters you want to. It sounds like you had a rough time with your first oil & filter change. You NEED a cartridge filter cap removal tool (Rite-Fit A251, @ Pep Boys) to do the job correctly. Take your time and it's a very simple job that should take you well under an hour to finish.

Darryl

[/quote]

thanks for the filter wrench #, i went to pep boys today on my luch break and picked one up.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts