Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I started looking for a car yesterday, more of a DD than anything for <$25K with decent to good performance and decent enough gas mileage, so I test drove both the WRX TR and MS3 Sport, both with as few options as possible.
Doing some quick research online, tt seems that OTD price for both will be pretty close since it seems for the MS3 the lowest I can hope for is a little under MSRP (<$22.8K?), while it seems like the WRX can be discounted pretty heavily from the MSRP of ~$24K.
The EPA rated mileage is pretty close for both also. WRX 20/27, MS3 20/28 I think?

After test driving both...
I'm not biased toward either one, I was originally leaning MORE toward MS3, but was discouraged by the price and massive torque steer/turbo lag when accelerating after I drove it (it felt like I was driving a turbo civic all over again)

MS3 Sport
+interior and IMO exterior > WRX sedan
+feels like it pulls like crazy
+6spd
-torque steer is pretty crazyzzyyzy

WRX TR sedan
+very smooth power curve, felt very consistent when accelerating
+felt tighter when turning
+AWD
+aftermarket support
+supposedly faster in the acceleration according the mags
-screw that front grill
-overall exterior is "acceptable"

With them being at the same price it's hard to go with the MS3, if it was cheaper I think I would be very interested.
The dealers I talked to had 4, 5, 7 MS3's EACH in the lot and apparently the demand is so high they're still on the lot. I also went to a Saturn dealer just to check out the Sky and they have none, now that's "high demand", AND it's a Saturn.
Just wondering if there are any other features I'm missing here or maybe the price of the MS3 can be lower?? Or am I just expecting too good of a deal?

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
[quote author=FormerAudiOwner link=topic=72150.msg1271339#msg1271339 date=1174060799]
IMHO, the WRX = Fugly. Never considered one for that fact alone.
[/quote]

They're about to be redesigned to look more like the legacy. I'll have to see the final version before I decide if I like it or not. The current model... easily one of the ugliest cars on the road.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote author=FormerAudiOwner link=topic=72150.msg1271339#msg1271339 date=1174060799]
IMHO, the WRX = Fugly. Never considered one for that fact alone.
[/quote]

Well the new design I'm not too fond of. The previous gen (after the bug-eye) is best looking one so far.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
Alot of Mazda Dealerships are crappy. Yours could be one of the crappy ones where they pull out alot of crap tricks.

Just warning you....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what kind of crap tricks are you referring to?
warranty issues?

·
Registered
708 Posts
if a Subaru is on your short list....then you should definately checkout a Legacy GT.

I know the list price might be a few $k higher than your target point...but dealers are wheelin & dealin on non-Spec.B model for around $25k.

I had a 2005 Legacy GT sedan 5MT and loved it very much. they are just as mod-friendly (and parts supported now) as the WRX or STI.

here's what my baby looked like after a ton of mod money was sunk into her......

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
next week im going with my brother to test drive a wrx so ill be able to give a good opinion then.

when you drove the MS3 did you turn off the DSC? i personally think it makes a big difference in turbo response.

about the sky-- go to a sky forum and look up tranny problems. you will never consider that car again. i only know because my co-worker is having a ton of problems with hers.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
[quote author=xomp link=topic=72150.msg1272498#msg1272498 date=1174098230]
what kind of crap tricks are you referring to?
warranty issues?
[/quote]

they just pull tricks on their customers.
Say they did service work, but then dont.
Claim they dont know about defects/flaws about mazdas.
Try to make you feel dumb and they think they are the experts.

It could be any dealership, but I will never buy a mazda3 personally again.
But some people have had Excellant service and love their mazdas.

I really want to sell my mazda and buy an 05 WRX. But my parents think im nuts for wanting to sell a 2006 to buy a 2005.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow.. now that's a list. haha.

Yea, my friend was looking for a CX-7 less than a month ago, but Puente Hills Mazda tried a bait and switch. He was looking for the CX-7, they said they had the one he was looking for. When he showed up, OOPS! didnt have the one he was told they had.
He was really set on the CX-7 too, ended up looking at the other options and got a new RDX.

Of course, alot of dealership are like that, but that's an easy way to lose a sale. I'm sure it helps Ford's "strong" sales too.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
just gimme your civic turbod, and ill give you my mazda3 lol....

your car must be fun to drive. Does it crap out on you now or something?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
About the DSC, I didn't turn it off. Actually, I didn't even know it had it.
I did a pull in 2nd gear though, and it was torque steering pretty badly, although the boost after the 2-3 shift was amazing

The Legacy... kind of out of my price range. I definitely heard of them and know they made good power, but it's just a little too expensive.

Haha, I got a smog referee ticket and had to pull it off, fun DD while it lasted though...

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
[quote author=ZooZoom link=topic=72150.msg1272521#msg1272521 date=1174099312]
if a Subaru is on your short list....then you should definately checkout a Legacy GT.

I know the list price might be a few $k higher than your target point...but dealers are wheelin & dealin on non-Spec.B model for around $25k.

I had a 2005 Legacy GT sedan 5MT and loved it very much. they are just as mod-friendly (and parts supported now) as the WRX or STI.

here's what my baby looked like after a ton of mod money was sunk into her......

[/quote]

Looks kinda like a baby Audi.

·
Registered
708 Posts
[quote author=*Angel-Of-Darknes* link=topic=72150.msg1272633#msg1272633 date=1174103799]

Looks kinda like a baby Audi.

[/quote]

well, if you say so. except she's an Audi with 400 all-wheel horsepower! :twisted:

·
Registered
708 Posts
no offense taken. Audis are beautiful cars. lovely lines. cheers!

and you shouldn't give up on considering the LGT without a test drive first.

I knew it was the car for me after driving it about 500 yards. didn't even get into 3rd gear before I was in love with it!

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
[quote author=ZooZoom link=topic=72150.msg1272671#msg1272671 date=1174105503]
no offense taken. Audis are beautiful cars. lovely lines. cheers!

and you shouldn't give up on considering the LGT without a test drive first.

I knew it was the car for me after driving it about 500 yards. didn't even get into 3rd gear before I was in love with it!
[/quote]

why the switch to MS3?

Remember the MS3 is responding well to parts so far, so i wouldnt leave that out and when/if Cobb releases there ECU tuning solutions its only going to open up crazy stuff

As in turbo manifold.... upgraded ATP turbo and a TUNE for it!

·
Registered
708 Posts
sold the LGT simply because I reached a sense of "completion" with it.

went through 3 different turbos, 2 FMICs, about a half dozen AP Protunes.

heck, I put 75k miles on it in just over two years. at least 8 track events.

I would say I got more than my money's worth and a lifetime of memories.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1214670

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Yeah it's true the subies have the better aftermarket, but that's to be expected considering how much of a headstart they got. Anyway I looked seriously at a WRX before getting the ms3(specifically the 06 wagon) and after doing some research and seeing the various issues that seem to crop up with these cars, I changed my mind (not that the ms3 is perfect). AWD is nice, it's good for launches, snow, handling etc but that comes at a price: complexity. It's the reason I ran fast and hard away from the speed6 even with all the discounts.

IMO those cars (WRX) are for enthusiasts who are willing to go all the way (change gearsets/axles etc) and who has the cash to back them up. Of course, like any other car, if you baby them they'll last but drive aggressively often or worse, start adding performance mods, and trouble soon follows. If you check the links above, you'll see that even the 06 WRX are having major transmission issues. These were supposed to be the ones with the upgraded internals (not sure if it were the syncros or gears themselves). However it seems they're not much better than the previous models. Hopefully in 08 and beyond Subaru will bless the impreza with a tranny as stout as the STI's.

Not trying to scare you away here, just giving you something to think about. Personally I feel the ms3, stock for stock, would be able to handle more day to day abuse. And I don't mean the engine only as it's still unproven, but more so the drivetrain. I could be wrong though. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts