Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Long time reader, first time poster.
Just test drove a MS3 (silver GT w/ nav.) and was amazed! Had a really good experience at the dealer and have decided this is the car for me (they are selling at MSRP)! I love the GT but mainly because I need nav. and like the clean look of a factory setup. I'm assuming there are lots of Sport owners using aftermarket nav. - anyone have any pro/cons, pics, etc.? Does the flip up area on the Sport leave room for an aftermarket nav? Also, if anyone would like to make a case that the other amenities are worth the extra $$, feel free to share!!!
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I have aftermarket nav on my GT and its nice, but having things integrated keeps it all nice and clean. Car's without nav dont have a pocket or anything in the absense of the screen, so the only plus to not having it is if you want to add guages, that is a perfect spot for a pod. not sure what other amenities you are refering to, the GT comes with all the little things and besides that I got the cargo net, sirius and all weather mats. I feel the GT is worth the extra money over the sport, but alot of people dont mind not having the few things the GT comes with and are happy they saved the money.
The only con I have to the stock nav is that you have to stop to program it, but you can run dvd's on it I believe, I am pretty sure I saw an add on peice somewhere that will allow you to do so, and there may be a way to disable the saftey that doesnt allow you to program while moving.
welcome to the gang.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
hey - welcome.
I have a GT without the nav. Love everything else. I just didn't want to spend the extra for the nav. just me.
Everything else is worth it. The interior is just perfect for day to day driving and on weekends, this car is a monster. Open it up on the back roads and it will rock your head back....get it get it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info....think I'm going to order a Sport this week. Dealer said he could have one in within two weeks. Don't see myself spending all the extra $$ on a factory nav. and not sure the other features are really necessary for me.
Can't wait to see this thing in my garage!!!

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I went with the GT because I wanted factory navi, AND I wanted factory HID's, and Factory leather seats. Factory HID's were my main concern though. HID's are worth every penny, and yes while there are aftermarket options, its one less mod for me to have to worry about.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys aren't making this easy on me:)
Decisions...decisions!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
I test drove the MS3 a week from Saturday, bought it and picked it up a week later (last Saturday). The test drive sealed the deal. How can anyone test drive the car and not buy it? What a fun car, just as much fun to drive as my Porsche 911. I store the 911 for the winter and the MS3 is my daily driver, or will be as soon as I get all-season or snow tires!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'll throw my opinion in the mix.

I have a GT w/ navi, and pretty soon you'll have people in here telling you how much the Mazda Nav sucks, but it doesn't. You can't program it while driving, and so far this is no hack around this. However, you can store places in memory and those you can enter while driving, so unless you are entering a random address on the fly, it's not really a problem.
To me the amenities are completely worth it, I love the auto lights and wipers, as well as the factory HIDs. However, I can certainly see why some didn't go with them, as it is a pretty big savings. However, to me it was well worth the additional $ and I would make the same choice again.

Oh yeah, you can unlock the trip computer on the sport model, so don't let that have any factor in your decision.

Either way, welcome, and good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Welcome!!

I was sold on this car within the first 2 minutes of my test drive, even after test driving a GTI that same day. You folks are lucky that you have a choice of options - us in Canada get one option which is equal to the GT without NAVI (not available) and no leather.. :(

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
[quote author=kokemon23 link=topic=69905.msg1216850#msg1216850 date=1171910632]
I'll throw my opinion in the mix.

I have a GT w/ navi, and pretty soon you'll have people in here telling you how much the Mazda Nav sucks, but it doesn't. You can't program it while driving, and so far this is no hack around this. However, you can store places in memory and those you can enter while driving, so unless you are entering a random address on the fly, it's not really a problem.
To me the amenities are completely worth it, I love the auto lights and wipers, as well as the factory HIDs. However, I can certainly see why some didn't go with them, as it is a pretty big savings. However, to me it was well worth the additional $ and I would make the same choice again.

Oh yeah, you can unlock the trip computer on the sport model, so don't let that have any factor in your decision.

Either way, welcome, and good luck with your choice!
[/quote]

+1
You took the words right outta my mouth... I was going to mention the 'on the fly' thing.
It even lets you find the closest POI (point of interest) and takes you there while driving.
Thanks to the built-in accelerometers the map plots your course even when you have no GPS signal and the screen refreshes your position at least 3 times every second. The voice guidance comes right out of your BOSE speakers and it lowers the volume of the radio when she's about to give you an instruction.
If you miss an exit or whatever it will recalculate and plot a new map for you in less than 5 seconds.
You can keep it closed and STILL listen to the voice guidance.

Just a few things that I thought make the stock NAV cool; and I never owned a car-GPS before so I'm not sure if any features I listed are shared with the aftermarket.

The bad things about the stock gps are
1) very very hard to move around with the little joystick in typing mode
2) hard to reach the zoom buttons while on 6th gear (got to put my hand between the shifter and p.b. lever and "feel" the buttons
3) if you want it you got to upgrade to GT

my 2 cents
oh and welcome to the forum! please update your location when you get a minute

WELCOME!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
3) if you want it you got to upgrade to GT

no joke.....if you could get the navi on the sport I would be in heaven!!

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
I've got a fully loaded GT and its worth every dollar, the extra $ for the navi is change in the long run. I would go ahead and get it if its there. The Dealer can't guarantee he'll have another car in 2 weeks. I love the navi, it's much more advanced than most the stuff on the market. Many nice features to it. Most garmin/tomtom just get you A to B, this does much more

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
Other things to think about when buying a Sport or a GT

GT has:
HID
LED tails
BOSE sound

·
Registered
15 Posts
I went with the GT because I needed the HID's. I was pleasantly surprised by the Bose stereo (was expecting 'meh', got decent) and I love the auto lights and wipers. It's making me lazy.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Although this is quickly turning into another what's better GT or Sport thread, I will fan the flames...it all comes down to what is more useful in your everyday life...for me I got the sport because I'm 23, found the cloth seats to be just as nice as the leather, found it easier to buy 300 dollar HID's, didn't need led tails, navi wasn't necessary for my life, and refuse to get automatic windshield wipers because that's just damn lazy...no offense.... :D.... but I know nothing about you sir and if you feel like living a little more luxurious with leather stock HID's, and Navi and you believe you will use it then that is the choice for you because it is a very nice set up...but it's a case by case basis....for me I'm about saving the 2k and buying a cai, bov, downpipe, race pipe, new horn (bet you didn't try that on your test drive), cobb AP, and aftermarket hids.... :p

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
not just that...earlier today.
I has just merged onto 85 N and this car passes me.
It was black, the windows were tinted and every sense in my body screamed it was a SPEED6.
I looked at the exhaust...and it was confirmed. I pulled up right next to him and dude rolls his window down and gives me a thumbs up.
I was like - cool. 85N was busy..so had to break away..but just the fact that you belong to a "speed" community is cool.
3 or 6...doesn't matter, the Speed6 folks know it and appreciate it. :)

thought I'd share that.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I actually would have gotten the GT with Nav if it had been available, but once I made up my mind I WANTED IT NOW! A sport was available, and after a test drive in a Red GT with a Nav that had basically been repossessed at a dealer that I didn't care for, I decided to get the Sport at a dealer that I liked better. I installed a double Din touch screen Nav/DVD system that in my opinion, kicks the stock ones ass. I am sure the stock one is decent, but having built-in bluetooth integration, DVD/CD MP3 & WMV audio & video (with surround sound), built-in ipod interface, integration, XM controls (the XM module was only $39) made the installation headache worth it. It even includes a TV tuner (I doubt I will add yet another antenna for something I don't care about...), dual zone outputs and as well as Aux & camera inputs which I will use. I will try to attach a picture...
[quote author=two3kk link=topic=69905.msg1217551#msg1217551 date=1171930023]
can any1 give more info on an after-market nav system? thanks!
[/quote]

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Personally I think the price of the GT (msrp only) is worth it for someone in the market for the extra amenities. However I went with the sport because I could easily live without them . I know Miami and many other cities in FL like the back of my hand and I usually plan my trips using a computer so NAV to me is pretty much useless. The HIDs were nice to have but I knew I could easily live without them. And the other stuff wasn't nearly as interesting to me, so all in all it really didn't make financial sense to get a GT.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts