Mazda3 Forums banner

Would you trade 2005 Mitsubishi EVO VIII ($356 / Month) for a Cosmic Blue MS3 Sport ($270 / Month)?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the situation I am in right now, and I guess I'm just curious what other people would do. There are a lot of factors to consider. Insurance is a big factor because it would obviously drop quite a bit for the Speed3. The EVO is in excellent condition with about 16K miles on it. The Speed3 Sport quote is for $22,800 (including dest). Misc thoughts going through my head:

-Evo would be more expensive to maintain in the long run
-I would miss the AWD
-Evo is so freaking fun to drive
-Wife hates the Evo's ride (hardly get to use it except to commute to work)
-Speed3 has more room to fit my mountain bike (and just in general)
-Speed3 ride is a bit softer - would get more use of the car (because the wife and baby can come along)
-Not many people get to drive an Evo for $350 / Month...
-Blue Speed3 would not get quite as much attention (a good thing in my book)
-Speed3 is still a lot of fun to drive
-Speed3 - cheaper to maintain - probably more reliable
-many more creature comforts in the Speed3
-EVO is only a year old... but I probably had the best year of its life
-Resale value in 4+ years on the EVO might not be so great... but right now can still get a good amount for it
-would have to buy snow tires for the Speed3 (already have them for EVO)
-less money per month... brand new car...
-but another year of car payments...
-etc....etc...

I know which way I'm leaning right now... but I'm curious what other people think...

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
sounds like getting an MS3 would be in the best interest of your family. It seems to be the responsible choice and although you loose awd, there is still major fun factor driving the ms3. As you can see the support for this car is growing daily and its one of the best commuter cars/family cars/weekend trip cars you can buy that can still race on sunday.
you save money, you provide a car that the whole family can use, you avoid potential tickets from just standing out of the crowd and you get a car that imo is a joy to drive in any condition.
I am definately biased, but considering you have a wife and kids and you didnt mention you race, I think the decision is a bit easier that the casual teenager/young 20 something may believe.

·
Registered
144 Posts
you cant go wrong with what you choose. I got an 05 evo and I love it, i drove and rode in tru-boost's 07 speed 3 and I can tell you that its fun as hell to drive too. The ride in the speed3 is not as soft as you think it is either but compared to the evo it is a bit softer but not by much. One thing for sure is that the hatchback makes it 100% more easier to load it up with stuff and a lot of stuff at that. If you get the speed 3 just watch out cause it breaks traction easily when punched.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote author=Lots-O-boost link=topic=66534.msg1141322#msg1141322 date=1168382253]
you cant go wrong with what you choose. I got an 05 evo and I love it, i drove and rode in tru-boost's 07 speed 3 and I can tell you that its fun as hell to drive too. The ride in the speed3 is not as soft as you think it is either but compared to the evo it is a bit softer but not by much. One thing for sure is that the hatchback makes it 100% more easier to load it up with stuff and a lot of stuff at that. If you get the speed 3 just watch out cause it breaks traction easily when punched.
[/quote]

I testdrove the speed3 twice already, so I know how it rides. The first time I drove with the salesperson, the second time they let me take it out by myself with my wife and the baby seat in back. The ride is still stiff... I agree... but it's a lot more family friendly than the EVO. It makes a bigger difference in the back than in the front. (From what I'm told the EVO is extremely ruff in the back).

·
Registered
639 Posts
[quote author=bani link=topic=66534.msg1141330#msg1141330 date=1168382496]
speed3 is more practical, evo is more fun to drive.

or just get a wrx wagon... best of all worlds 8)

imo just wait for the 08 subaru impreza redesign!
[/quote]

Best of both worlds? I don't know about that... :p

Practical, sure. But fun? That's definitely a subjective issue!

Speed3Me, I say go with your gut. You've pointed out the important pros and cons for both already, and have obviously been putting thought into the whole thing (it's been a few months you've posted, btw, eh?!). The fact that you have a family is, IMO, the biggest consideration you've gotta take into account. While I truly love the Evo and would suggest not getting rid of it, I can see what kinda drawbacks it may have with the family, seeing firsthand how my brother is dealing with a similar situation to yours (wife & baby, Evo not always providing best means of trans., etc.).

Now, they have another car, so it lightens up the situation, but I'm assuming that you and your wife aren't looking to have a second auto. If that's the case, I say get the MS3. I have no doubt you'll still have a really enjoyable experience with it...especially with all the love the car's getting from big name tuners out there.

FWIW, my Evo-owning bro loves my car. Not only because it's a bargain, or because it's staying very close to his IX, stock for stock :p, but because of its practicality and family-friendliness. We've talked about it before, and I know he'd have considered the MS3 between the Evo if he were in the market now.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
[quote author=untouchable link=topic=66534.msg1141522#msg1141522 date=1168389268]
Get the Evo. Trust Me!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]
Ummm...
He already has it.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[quote author=Focused link=topic=66534.msg1141515#msg1141515 date=1168389132]

Speed3Me, I say go with your gut. You've pointed out the important pros and cons for both already, and have obviously been putting thought into the whole thing (it's been a few months you've posted, btw, eh?!). The fact that you have a family is, IMO, the biggest consideration you've gotta take into account. While I truly love the Evo and would suggest not getting rid of it, I can see what kinda drawbacks it may have with the family, seeing firsthand how my brother is dealing with a similar situation to yours (wife & baby, Evo not always providing best means of trans., etc.).

Now, they have another car, so it lightens up the situation, but I'm assuming that you and your wife aren't looking to have a second auto. If that's the case, I say get the MS3. I have no doubt you'll still have a really enjoyable experience with it...especially with all the love the car's getting from big name tuners out there.

FWIW, my Evo-owning bro loves my car. Not only because it's a bargain, or because it's staying very close to his IX, stock for stock :p, but because of its practicality and family-friendliness. We've talked about it before, and I know he'd have considered the MS3 between the Evo if he were in the market now.
[/quote]
Yeah, it's been a while since I posted because I had pretty much decided to keep the EVO. The offers I was receiving for my car were lower than I felt it was worth. Since I love the car, I wasn't going to settle for anything less than I felt it was worth. Just recently I found somebody that is very interested in my car - and is willing to pay my asking price. Unforetunately, my Cosmic Blue MS3 is no longer available... but the dealership has a MS3 Sport in Silver (which was my second choice). If things go smoothly, I might be a MS3 owner by the end of the week.

We actually do have a second car, it's a beat-up Jetta wagon. The problem is that whenever we go somewhere (with the wife and baby) we take the Jetta. In the end... I hardly get to drive the EVO. And now that we have a baby, it's not like I'd ever get time to take the EVO to a track or something. In real-world driving, the EVO is actually more car than most people can ever use. The car screams to be driven hard... and I hardly get the chance.

If I was a single guy... I'd keep the EVO... no question. The speed3 can keep me happy for a few years... until I save up to buy that BMW M3 :) (yeah... right..)

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
i know its a hard choice, but being a family guy, in your heart you probably know its the wise choice.
good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well since you dont drive the evo that much just get the speed 3 and get that lower monthly payment and you'll still have a performance car, just not an evo, plus you'll have more money in your pocket every month. For the money you cant go wrong with the speed 3 either. If I didnt buy my evo the speed 3 would have definately been my next choice.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
yeah, since you got a family, i would change my vote from no to yes
i like evos way more than speed3, like 100 times more. (im 19)
but then again i dont got a wife and kid to look after.
I want something comfortable for them, and extra cash to spend on them would be nice too.
Buy your wife something nice with some of the money you save. :) A present for you (speed3) and a present for you wife (jewelry? idk)

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
Definatly speed3 is the better choice for family, insurance, car payment, almost everything!
You might lose a little "wow" factor

You will be saving money, and have a little more comfort.... and options..

Just get the XEDE or COBB (when availiable) chip for the Speed3, and put her over 290/300whp :)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[quote author=Focused link=topic=66534.msg1143725#msg1143725 date=1168488867]
Speed3Me, what dealerships are you dealing with?
[/quote]

So far I'm working with:

Ramsey Mazda, Mazda of Lodi and Wayne Mazda

Right now I have my money down on a Silver Speed3 sport... but I'm calling around for a Cosmic Blue. I REALLY want the Cosmic Blue... and if I find one, I might have to switch dealers. Ramsey says they have a Cosmic Blue sport "on the water" but it's already spoken for. The Mazda Inventory search shows that Lodi has a CB Sport as well... I'm waiting for them to get back to me. I was originally going to settle for the Silver... but I'm willing to wait a couple weeks for the CB (but not a couple months).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Speed3me,

I don't know how far you are willing to travel for that CB, but the Mazda Inventory has been showing a CB Sport at Mazda Gallery for 3 weeks now...maybe your guys could make a trade.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ramsey Mazda just got a Blue one in but i believe it says sold.

BTW were any of those dealers willing to give you under MSRP?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts