Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am considering the purchase of a 2009 MS3, I have test driven one, along with a GTI, 128i, Si, and some others, and though the MS3 is a little more power than I need, it is at the top of the pack right now.

However, reading this forum as well as a couple other Mazdaspeed forums, I have some concerns. Keep in mind that I will NOT be doing any mods, the car will remain bone stock. In addition, though I made push it and do some spirited driving occasionally, I will not be abusing it, and will be maintaining it religiously. That being said....

1. Motor mounts. I know the recall supposedly fixed this back in 2008, but it seems like people are still having issues with these?

2. Oil leaks

3. Blown rods

4. Rear suspension issues

Little things like rattles I can deal with but it seems like some of these issues are more serious / safety related / potentially expensive.

Do I have cause for alarm? It seems MOST of these issues were with 2007 / early 2008 models but it seems even new stock MS3's have some very troublesome issues.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
688 Posts
My 2008 MS3 has yet to be in the shop for anything other than the winshield rattle fix.....which didn't work.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have a 2008 with 17K+ miles on it that has never been to the dealer for an issue. I have had two different aftermakret intakes on it since the ~7K mile mark and I've had the Corksport transaxle mount inserts since about 2K miles, but those are my only mods so far...

·
Registered
123 Posts
if you're planning on being completely stock i don't think you have much to worry about. people on forums only post when they have issues so it may seem there is a bigger problem when in fact it's only a select few. my 09 ms3 has been great, no problems or rattles and i've had it for close to 6 months now. good luck in whatever you choose!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
My car has quite a few mods and no problems at all. 13k miles.

What rear suspension issues have you heard? I'm curious. A swaybar endlink nut has been known to loosen up, but that's no biggie.

Sounds like you've got a good list of choices to me. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I would say the ms3 is pretty reliable considering what people do to it. I don't think any of your concerns should be a factor in your decision, considering you are not going to mod the car. Motor mounts have been fixed and I have only heard of one stock car with blown rods. Oil leaks are not really an issue for the ms3 unless you count the turbo seals, which generally only occurs with an upgraded downpipe.

·
Registered
568 Posts
09 MS3 here, with almost 4K. No issues except a small rattle just above the radio and a subtle "pop" from the rear suspension. Suspect that's a sqeaky swaybar bushing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
buy ms3 as you wont regret it
i bought my car new in 2007 and never has major issue, just little this little that, nothing the warranty wont fix
also i got it from a cool dealership where the mechanic and the guy at the parts department drove the same car.
best bang for the buck and handling is superb

only problem so far is gf keep sying the car is too loud, too bumpy, too sporty
but ive been using it as dd and at 36k miles now its still running strong

got the extended warranty till 100k for $1500 , and the dealer said as long i dont change any aftermarket parts to make the car running faster ,it will not void any warranty ( meaning no big turbo/piston/boost increase,etc)
but any aftermarket parts to make the car more efficient is a OK..

current mod- motor mount all around by medieval.
- a pillar gauge (boost,air fuel, oil pressure)
- all around rotor by rotorpros, and hawk hps pads
- hks cbe with straight test pipe
- k&n filter
future mod - turbo inlet , bov, dp, and thats it... got to get the car to survive till 100k

oh and btw i got smoking prob, meaning blue/white smoke puff coming out from exhaust, dealer said its turbo seal leakage, and they will replace it under warranty for free :p

·
Registered
27 Posts
windshield rattle fix recall seemed to work for me... did you plan on keeping the car for an extended period of time?

·
Registered
505 Posts
If you drive the car like John Force in the quarter mile you are going to have to mod it.

If you drive the car like a daily driver with an occcasional spirited run your fine.

Just buy it...life is short.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I bought my 07 ms3 about two years ago. When I bought it, the engine mount recall already has been done and I've never had a single issue except some interior noises.
I agree with most of people here, just buy it, you wont regret it.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I have right at 17k on my '08 MS3 and she has never been back to the dealership since I bought her a year ago. The problems you mention are people doing mods, half of which have no clue what the hell they are doing in the first place and the other part being those that are pushing the car to see what is possible (which is a good thing for the community).

·
Registered
32 Posts
07 Cosmic blue here, fast approaching 45k miles. Not a day goes by that the tires don't get spun a few times during my 100 mile/day roundtrip commute, impossible to resist this little beast :lol:

Had mm and high pressure pump recall done, turned rotors (warranty) at 35k miles. Tire rotations and oil changes every 4k, new tires at 28k. Car remains rock solid, no rattles, squeeks...and 25-26 mpg.

It's an incredible machine, jump on in...you won't regret it!

Almost forgot, bone stock...Mazda did a damn fine job building a dd that's a blast to drive daily :lol:

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I bought my '07 MS3 used in the fall of 2007 and it now has 17.5k miles on it. Not one problem. It's been to the dealer for the recalls eventhough it was fine before it went in. Very very fun car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an 07 fully bolted and flashed. you should do a motormount no matter. Otherwise if your gonna stay somewhat stock you should have no problems that mazda wont cover. They seem to have the turbo seal issue worked out. If i were you id wait for the 2010 model it may have a better engine design and more hp. But im not positive on that. yeah just get all the recalls done and bone stok the car is real fun to drive but with just an intake and a BOV the car really becomes fun. once you get close to 300whp like mine, it puts a smile on your face every time you get in it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a 2008.5 MS3 with 3200 miles on it....no big problems so far.

I have a slight rattling in the glove box, but there's a TSB for it, so it should be fixed under warranty when I get time to take it in...I think they replace a latch or something. It didn't appear until my workplace installed HUGE speedbumps, and then construction started on the main highway which makes my commute to work feel like riding a wooden roller coaster. I don't hear it on smooth roads, only bumpy ones.

I'd recommend the MS3 to anyone. If you don't plan on modding (I don't either), it's a great car that has a lot of power, looks great inside and out, and rides really well.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
[quote author=jjanders link=topic=139077.msg2997152#msg2997152 date=1237218340]2. Oil leaks

3. Blown rods

4. Rear suspension issues[/quote]

Not sure where you came up with 2. Rods have only been with mods. Those saying otherwise are trolls. Number 4 has only been one nut on the stabilizer.

·
Registered
518 Posts
[quote author=jjanders link=topic=139077.msg2997152#msg2997152 date=1237218340]
Hello, I am considering the purchase of a 2009 MS3, I have test driven one, along with a GTI, 128i, Si, and some others, and though the MS3 is a little more power than I need, it is at the top of the pack right now.

However, reading this forum as well as a couple other Mazdaspeed forums, I have some concerns. Keep in mind that I will NOT be doing any mods, the car will remain bone stock. In addition, though I made push it and do some spirited driving occasionally, I will not be abusing it, and will be maintaining it religiously. That being said....
[/quote]
1. Motor mounts. I know the recall supposedly fixed this back in 2008, but it seems like people are still having issues with these?
The pre 2008 ones had the tranny mount bolt fall I thought. that has been fixed on 08+ but there are upgraded MM's and other mounts if you wish.
[/quote]
2. Oil leaks
leaks? didnt know that to be a issue, never have had one

3. Blown rods
This is the most blown out of proportion thing about this car. Not all info is fully known about this, but I have 30k miles on mine and drive it hard, really hard, daily and have not had a issue. IMO if proper maintenance is done your good, if you start doing power mods make sure to do them right and have data logging to catch things that may occur in the future. Not at all a issue if you stay stock to lightly bolted.

4. Rear suspension issues
Only issue I have is cold squeaking. but I just tell myself its doing that because its a WRC car ;)

Little things like rattles I can deal with but it seems like some of these issues are more serious / safety related / potentially expensive.

Do I have cause for alarm? It seems MOST of these issues were with 2007 / early 2008 models but it seems even new stock MS3's have some very troublesome issues.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
fully bolted except for downpipe.

2007, 28k.

No problems at all.

If you look at any car forum...you will always see complaints...because no one is going to make a big deal about a car operating perfectly. But the second one person has one thing go wrong...they freak out and make a big deal.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts