Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the deal, I will get my Mazda3 Sport GT delivered on 16 inches rims with winter tires fitted.

My 17 inches mags will be in the trunk without tires because I didn't want the stock Eagle RS-A. Choice is quite limited in size 205-50-17 so I was wondering if 215-45-17 would fit on the car. If so, it opens up to a much greater tire selection. If someone knows or actually have 215-45-17 tires on their Mazda3 please let me know.

thanks for the info.

·
Registered
427 Posts
According to the calculator, 225-45-17 is a closer fit to 205-50-17.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Usually you can play with ± 1 inch.

It is not with the height that I'm concerned... it's the width !!! Is 215 tires would rub on something ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Lex,

I believe the width of the 17" rim is 7." I haven't seen anything from Mazda to confirm this, but 7" is the standard width for a 17" rim. (I've never seen any 17" rim with a width less than 7")

The recommended tire width for a 7"w rim is 225. You could probably go to a 235, but 245 would be pushing it. As long as the tire isn't wider than the rim, you shouldn't run into any rubbing issues. You shouldn't have any problems with 215.

The is my amature (but informed) opinion. If you have the 17" rims in the trunk, break out the tape measure and confirm the width, then call a tire shop to make confirm what tire sizes will fit properly and safely.

Could you post the rim width? I'm going to upgrade the tires too.

Thanks

AK/47

·
Registered
272 Posts
I believe the width of the 17" rim is 7." I haven't seen anything from Mazda to confirm this, but 7" is the standard width for a 17" rim. (I've never seen any 17" rim with a width less than 7")
No the OME 17" rims are 17 x 6.5J

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation,

buddy of mine got 225's on the stock 16x6.5 rims for his RSX-S, so I don't thnk you'll have any prob with 215's.

What tires are you getting? I'm getting the Falken Zeix 512.

AK/47

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for all the infos.

Oh oh, I'm looking right now at specs charts from Tirerack for different tires, and if our 17" mags are indeed 6.5" wide I'm afraid they will support only tires up to 205... 215 and 225 requires a minimum of 7" wide mags... and I don't want to buy new mags for the car. I like the stock ones.

As for the winter, my car will be delivered with 16" rims with 205-55-16 Pirelli Winter Snowsport 210. Very good tire, that's what I have right now on my actual Saab (that I will get rid of as soon as I receive my Mazda3 in about two weeks)

For the summer, I had the Toyo T1-S on my Saab. Very grippy tire but one of the tire is kinda not perfect. It was wearing very quickly and extremly noisy too. Not buying that again for sure.

As for the summer tires , I don't know yet, I will look at that during the winter and I will decide in early April I guess. If we are limited to 205 tires on the stock mags, my short list is Michelin Pilot Sport 2, Potenza SO-3 and RE750, Conti Sport Contact 2, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 and Yokohama AVS ES100. Might also consider the Michelin Pilot Sport A-S for a longer tread life index (400) and giving up a bit of traction. After all, I won't race on a track :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts