Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, saturday night a couple of my middle school friends (we are currently in high school) were drinking (I was not there), and this one of them got a call that he had to be home right now, he had to drop off 3 other kids b4 he could get home

so he says get in my car (mazda 3) and he starts booking it down the road (75 in a 25 mph community street) he hits a curb the car flips and the two girls in the back get ejected from the car and fly about 15 yards. One of the girls ruptured her splean and has internal bleeding and a couple of other things and is still unconscious, the other girl's leg hit a tree and had a branch rip up her leg (she has over a hundred stiches),the kid in the passengers seat ended up in the back seat with a piece of metal that went through his leg (72 stiches), and the driver walks away without a scratch.

wtf how stupid can you be, and now my former friend (driver) is going to jail pending how the girl who is unconscious turns out

I thought Ide tell you if your thinking of drinking and driving, don't.

·
Registered
311 Posts
[quote author=leffler9 link=topic=110345.msg2274187#msg2274187 date=1209512588]
So, saturday night a couple of my middle school friends (we are currently in high school) were drinking (I was not there), and this one of them got a call that he had to be home right now, he had to drop off 3 other kids b4 he could get home

so he says get in my car (mazda 3) and he starts booking it down the road (75 in a 25 mph community street) he hits a curb the car flips and the two girls in the back get ejected from the car and fly about 15 yards. One of the girls ruptured her splean and has internal bleeding and a couple of other things and is still unconscious, the other girl's leg hit a tree and had a branch rip up her leg (she has over a hundred stiches),the kid in the passengers seat ended up in the back seat with a piece of metal that went through his leg (72 stiches), and the driver walks away without a scratch.

wtf how stupid can you be, and now my former friend (driver) is going to jail pending how the girl who is unconscious turns out

[/quote]

that's pretty fucked up. why couldn't that kid just be like "hey mom, i gave some other people a ride it's gonna take me like an extra 20 to get home?" i mean shit.... any chance you can snap some shots of the damage? :whistle2:

·
Registered
7,191 Posts

[/quote]

wow, what a fucking idiot. Kick his ass for me please, thanks.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote author=andrew1501 link=topic=110345.msg2274235#msg2274235 date=1209513464]
wow. that sucks, i hope the passengers are okay. Probably not the best time to ask but you thinkin of gettin another 3?
[/quote]

did you not read, its not me but an old friend in his three, and no the driver was the only one ok, everyone else got fucked up [quote author=utopia link=topic=110345.msg2274223#msg2274223 date=1209513221]

[/quote]

that's pretty fucked up. why couldn't that kid just be like "hey mom, i gave some other people a ride it's gonna take me like an extra 20 to get home?" i mean shit.... any chance you can snap some shots of the damage? :whistle2:
[/quote]

no it was night when I got there, and now the car is at the junk yard about to be destroyed

[quote author=alpha732 link=topic=110345.msg2274244#msg2274244 date=1209513642]

wow, what a fucking idiot. Kick his ass for me please, thanks.
[/quote]
he has to live with this for the rest of his life, and all three of the passengers were very very good atheletes (going to college good) so there lives are pretty fucked up

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Wow...that is so messed up. When I was senior in high school, one of the guys I knew hit a pole while drunk driving. His brain flew forward inside his skull, killing him. He was pretty popular. It's hard to see things like this happen.

But it's just the fact that the person who causes everything always walks away, really angers me.

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
Sad :(

A good friend of mine drove drunk and hit a tree head on... he and another passenger were fine but one passenger had massive head trauma and was in a coma for like 6 months. My friend was scared he was going to jail but he ended up only losing his license for 5 years.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
I wonder if his parents feel somewhat guilty, because they were the ones that wanted him home immediately, I'm not saying that, that was the reason he was speeding home and not the intoxication but it could've been both. His actions were stupid nonetheless.

·
Registered
31,080 Posts
drinking + kids = bad decisions

drinking and stupid go hand in hand, particularly when the drinkers are n00bs.

whoever supplied the alcohol should be liable as well.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
[quote author=John_in_the_LBC link=topic=110345.msg2274489#msg2274489 date=1209518360]

[/quote]

+1, whoever supplied the alcohol is fucked.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I always wonder this why do they drink and drive you know.. you heard stories about this type of shit but they still do it.. Why can't they just tell their folks "I can't drive I'm Drunk pick me up" So you get bitched at when you get home and what not, But you do not put anyone else in harm.[quote author=Manny link=topic=110345.msg2274468#msg2274468 date=1209517813]
I wonder if his parents feel somewhat guilty, because they were the ones that wanted him home immediately, I'm not saying that, that was the reason he was speeding home and not the intoxication but it couldve been both. His actions were stupid nonetheless.
[/quote] two years ago this kid was driving his sister to school and they were running late for school and their dad said "If Your late to school Do not bother coming home" SO sadly on the way to school they were speeding and spud off the road and hit a tree and both die. i do not evening want to know how that must feels.

·
Registered
31,080 Posts
[quote author=Maz06 link=topic=110345.msg2274527#msg2274527 date=1209519038]
I always wonder this why do they drink and drive you know.. you heard stories about this type of shit but they still do it.. Why can't they just tell their folks "I can't drive I'm Drunk pick me up" So you get bitched at when you get home and what not, But you do not put anyone else in harm.[quote author=Manny link=topic=110345.msg2274468#msg2274468 date=1209517813]
I wonder if his parents feel somewhat guilty, because they were the ones that wanted him home immediately, I'm not saying that, that was the reason he was speeding home and not the intoxication but it couldve been both. His actions were stupid nonetheless.
[/quote] two years ago this kid was driving his sister to school and they were running late for school and their dad said "If Your late to school Do not bother coming home" SO sadly on the way to school they were speeding and spud off the road and hit a tree and both die. i do not evening want to know how that must feels.
[/quote]

it's a biological fact that the decision making part of your brain is not developed until sometime after 18 yrs. This is one of the basic reasons why there are age differences in criminal penalties (and minimum age of consent laws). Before you reach adulthood, the young brain has not developed that acute decision making process fully (although some may argue that they just haven't "learned their lessons").
add to that alcohol, which strips away the superego responsible for governing our conduct, and also clouds the judgment of everyone, including adults, and you have a recipe for disaster.
even without booze, young people sometimes make bad decisions. i am no exception, but thank goodness it was silly stuff not tragic.

·
Registered
649 Posts
drunk driving = dont do it. Ironically my grandfather was killed by a drunk driver on his way back from a aa meeting.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
+1 to John's comment.

Sucks.

Kids make stupid decisions. This is why I don't agree with kids under 18 drinking for any reason, not even considering legalizing it. 18+ I could see legalizing it, but kids make stupid decisions and I don't think we need to make it permisable to throw in alcohol to the decision making process for them.

I really think that as a minor the penalty for drinking under age needs to be higher and there needs to be a difference between drinking under age and being intoxicated (if you blow a breathalizer test, even if you aren't driving the penalties should be much higher).

That and I think the penalty for drinking and driving for someone under 21 should be higher then 21+. I realize most states set the BAC at .02 for those under 21 (as in 1 drink or less), but I think the penalties need to be higher. Plenty of people walk away without more then maybe a license suspension for drinking and driving (my rant extends to people who are 21+ as well). Mandatory jail time and license revocation I think needs to be instituted. 30 days minimum for a first offense.

The penalty is worse if you are just randomly firing off a gun (at least in an urban area and probably most suburban areas)...that isn't all that much different from drinking and driving, especially if you are extremely intoxicated. Odds in both cases are good that you are going to seriously hurt or kill someone.
-Matt

·
Banned
13,838 Posts
[quote author=Hexedit link=topic=110345.msg2274507#msg2274507 date=1209518543]
[quote author=John_in_the_LBC link=topic=110345.msg2274489#msg2274489 date=1209518360]

[/quote]

[/quote]

agreed, since they are under age. I know if you are at a party drinking, and your of age. If you go driving and hit somebody the host is not responsible as you made your own decision to drink. This is different as the driver was not of age.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Why was your car there and why did he have the keys? IS he even an insured driver on your car?

Couple bad decisions here....

1. Obvious one is the drunk driver...driving drunk!
2. Parents not knowing where their kid is and what he/she is doing. If they knew where he was, and knew he was drinking, they wouldn't have called him home in the fashion that they did. If they knew he was drunk, they should have done the responsible thing and picked him and the friends up.
3. Friends got in the car with him...stupid
4. Friends didn't have a Designated Driver(DD)....stupid.
5. I don't know the situation, but if you knew he was going to drive drunk, giving him the keys was stupid too.

ALWAYS have a DD. I will gladly not drink (I don't drink much anyways), and be the DD WHENEVER my friends go out. Even if I am not attending the party, or whatever. I rather my friends that I care about get home safely. NO one ever drives home drunk, and NO ONE ever gets in a car with a drunk driver. I make all my friends know this. CALL ME at 4am in the morning, and I will still drive you home!

If you care about your very close friends, you will do the same. end of story.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
[quote author=agm_ultimatex link=topic=110345.msg2275359#msg2275359 date=1209558916]
[quote author=Hexedit link=topic=110345.msg2274507#msg2274507 date=1209518543]

[/quote]

[/quote]

agreed, since they are under age. I know if you are at a party drinking, and your of age. If you go driving and hit somebody the host is not responsible as you made your own decision to drink. This is different as the driver was not of age.
[/quote]

The problem is most states don't really go after the host and it is often hard to nail them to the wall over it. It is stupid as hell and I think the hosts of such parties NEED to be nailed. If Mommy realizes she is going to be looking at 1-3yrs because she gave minors alcohol and one of them went out driving while intoxicated maybe mommy won't try to 'be cool' and give all her son's friends alcohol.
-Matt

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
^ it wasn't his 3, it was his friend's... who happens to drive a 3.

& my parents always told me that if I went to a party and had even a little bit to drink to call them and have them pick me up... that I would never get into trouble... I never had to go that route but I always wondered if it was just BS that parents say or if they really would be happy that I even called them instead of putting myself and everyone else on the road in danger

1 - 20 of 33 Posts