Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just had my tires rotated and balanced and now have a crazy wobble in my steering at 50-65mph. My guess is that I didn't rotate my tires soon enough and the inner tire started to feather or something? Im lowered on pro-kit with rx-8 wheels. I am ordering camber links this weekend to fix the rear camber. If the tires are the problem, should I just rotate them back or get two new tires for the front? (I will still be installing camber links to fix the negative camber)

*Is it safe to drive this way till I figure out the issue??*

Thanks for any input!!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks to Midnight Speeder for posting. The issue was that I busted a band inside the tire itself. so you cant see it, but wow can you feel it. The wheels are balanced just fine. When I switched the tires back the wobble went to the back. Guess new tires are in my near future. Have a lovely day all :)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
[quote author=stealth link=topic=135331.msg2920427#msg2920427 date=1234057802]
Thanks to Midnight Speeder for posting. The issue was that I busted a band inside the tire itself. so you cant see it, but wow can you feel it. The wheels are balanced just fine. When I switched the tires back the wobble went to the back. Guess new tires are in my near future. Have a lovely day all :)
[/quote]

Bummer. At least you figured it out!

·
Registered
57 Posts
You mean busted a belt? You should take that tire back to the dealer you bought it from and try to get it warrantied. Occasionally, rotating your wheels the wrong way will cause a belt to break.

A busted belt is a dangerous thing to drive on and you should immediately get a new tire, and don't get on a freeway or drive at freeway speeds while getting to your repair shop.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, I just ordered a new set of tires from tirerack. I have to drive on the highway, but I only drive 55mph to play it safe. I dont know which tire is the issue and since they are summer high performance directionals there was no warranty. The tires are close to needing replacment anyway, so I guess its not bad timing :) Ill have to drive on them for about a week more till the new tires arrive, but Im driving real easy so I dont expect any problems. Thanks for your replys

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update, I got all new tires and installed SPC camber links then went to get an alignment. The car feels better but still the car has a steering wheel shake at about 60-65. I'm thinking not proper wheel balance. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
[quote author=jarry link=topic=135331.msg2920600#msg2920600 date=1234062730]
You mean busted a belt? You should take that tire back to the dealer you bought it from and try to get it warrantied. Occasionally, rotating your wheels the wrong way will cause a belt to break.
A busted belt is a dangerous thing to drive on and you should immediately get a new tire, and don't get on a freeway or drive at freeway speeds while getting to your repair shop.
[/quote]

Complete myth from the introduction of radials back in the 60's. Tires don't give a rat's ass which way they are turning (except direction tread tires of course, but even then, the belts don't care)

Belts typically break from the introduction of water into the tire (which then rusts the belts). Water gets into the belts via (listed from most probable to least):

1. A puncture that is not repaired properly (i.e. using just a patch on the inside and not filling the hole on the outside or using one of those rope plug kits, which just wick water into the tire)

2. Tires are filled with very 'moist' air. Most gas station air hoses are not the best way to go as they typically put a lot of water into a tire. This moisture eventually works its way through the inner liner into the belts.

3. Possibly introduced in the manufacturing process, but very rare.

Occasionally, there is also a bad tire made, but usually this is caught at the manufacturing plant.

I do agree that driving on a busted belt is a bad thing.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Busted belt can lead to thread seperation. You'll look just like a semi then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.