Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to wire up some secondary fog lights behind the lower grill in my hatchback. I want to put in a toggle switch and run the lights independently of the stock fogs. I know how I want to mount them but I have not idea how to wire them. I know how to get the wires from the engine bay to the cabin, however I just don't know what I need to tap into for the power to the lights. Also, I have not picked out the lights yet, will that matter? I was just going to get some medium sized round lights, nothing fancy.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
You should get lights that have a relay harness. That way, you can run the power and ground off the stock fogs to trip the relay and then power the lights off the wire that will go to the battery.

Put a switch on the ground wire from the stock fogs to the new ones and you can control it that way.

I can draw a rough diagram if you need one.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So would that mean I could run the driving lights (the new fogs) independently of the stock fog lights? I would just have to hit the switch? And a diagram would be awesome!

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Matt, he wants the new lights to be completely independent of the OEM fogs, so using them as the signal wouldn't be great.

jph like Matt said you need a relay harness..... most good lights will come with one. Basically the harness has four wires coming off of it: power (from the battery), ground (self explanatory), signal/activation (goes to whatever tells the relay to work, i.e. do you want them on with ignition, do you want them on with parking lights, do you want them on whenever?), and power to the lights.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts