Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone plan on trying to configure the fog lights to run without having the main headlights on?

How hard would this be? I assume it could be fixed with a simple snip of a wire here, and a sodering of a wire there... in a perfect world that is.

·
Registered
432 Posts
It shouldn't be too hard.. just buy a set of aftermarket foglight harness with relay.. hook it up to your existing foglights. Should work. But you'll have to install a separate switch somewhere.

·
Registered
44 Posts
***I'm not a pro at this, and am not responsible for any damage to anything if you attempt any of this***

Sad that I have to put that in here...
Anyhow, I would like to be able to use the fogs with the "parking lights", but no headlights. I would think that a couple of cheap relays and a couple of wire snips would do it. Tap the relay into the parking light wires for a switch. When the parking lights switch on, the fogs would, also.
Now if I could just figure out how to make the lights automatic when I turn the ignition on....
Jeff

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's cool, i understand the disclaimer.

I'm just confused why they have to wire it like that (as that is what I'd like to do esentially)

Usually cars have an independant switch/system for the fogs & headlights in my experience of driving and observing cars

whateva..

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
odie said:
Usually cars have an independant switch/system for the fogs & headlights in my experience of driving and observing cars
My experience with manufacturer headlights is exactly opposite. Usually they are wired together so that the fogs turn off when the high beams come on, just as the do on the M3.

Aftermarket fogs are different animal all together. On my old Jetta I installed a pair of Hella grille replacement fogs. They were pretty cool in that they replaced the stock lower grille inserts and looked just like they were manufacturer made.

The other cool thing was how they were wired. They came with a radio receiver relay that was tripped by a remote you kept in the car. Think really small key fob sized transmitter. This way you didn't have to violate the firewall to get the wire to the switch. Most cool.

I've seen this available at the local AutoZone for installation with normal lights. Here's an example at JC Whitney

·
Registered
432 Posts
odie said:

whateva..
Most european cars use a dial switch for lights.. and you need to turn the switch to headlight position before you can pull out to turn on the foglights.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts