Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know there are alot of topics on winter tires about 16's 17's all I really want to know is if there are any other choices beside blizzaks for our stock 18's

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I am in wyoming right now living and it dumps some snow then you will get these weeks like this one were its -20 at night turns everything to shit

·
Registered
241 Posts
Have you looked closely at the comparative costs? I think it ends up both cheaper and easier to get a second set of smaller rims for winter use. I paid a total of about $1000 installed for 17" Motegi FF7 rims with Dunlop Wintersport 3D tires (205/50) (great tires, by the way). 18" tires alone would run over $830 shipped, plus the cost of mounting/demounting twice a year, plus the added cost and risk of working around the TPMS system (I was quoted $10 extra per tire to do that), plus the inconvenience of finding someone to mount your snows when everyone else has the same idea, plus the fact that a slightly narrower tire performs better in snow, etc, etc.

That's why I went with new 17" rims and tires....

·
Registered
241 Posts
i got a set of black steelies with snow tires (16's) for 630 mounted balanced and installed.
event though we have not had snow yet (east coast)im still glad i got them. its 10 degrees today and the stock rubber would suck when temps drop. they are called high performance summer tires for a reason

·
Registered
865 Posts
You will have to change sizes, I have 225/40/18's in a Hankook W300 Icebear on stock rims, cuz I wanted a V-rated winter tire. Good tire BTW.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how much much for the hankooks and were did you get them at. Also how do they perform

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
i wouldn't even drive my MS3 in the snow.

i'd buy a winter beater

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well I have two winter beaters but if I only drove my ms3 when weather was nice I would only drive it 3 months out of the year thats wyoming for you

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Try Michelin X-Ice. Very good tire and cheaper than Blizzak. They come in 18".
A second set of steelies will be cheaper if you can find them... but don't count on it. Also you could get snow's for the stock rims and buy a set of lightweight wheels for summer.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have the blizzak but i would have got the hankook had I had the time to wait. The X-Ice were my second choice but they also took too long.

If your planning on getting aftermarket rims just throw em on your stock rims. I did that since im planning on getting a set of Rays.

As far as not driving it in the snow, c'mon people winter beaters do make sense but stop treating it like a porsche already. Its an economy car with some major performance related upgrades, not a luxury car. Im sure its great to keep your 2nd most expensive purchase in life ( 1st being a home) in good condition, but all the comments towards snow-driven ms3s is annoying.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
[quote author=solipsism link=topic=67206.msg1157297#msg1157297 date=1169188205]
As far as not driving it in the snow, c'mon people winter beaters do make sense but stop treating it like a porsche already. Its an economy car with some major performance related upgrades, not a luxury car. Im sure its great to keep your 2nd most expensive purchase in life ( 1st being a home) in good condition, but all the comments towards snow-driven ms3s is annoying.
[/quote]

Thank You! And has anyone driven a Porsche in the snow? Admittedly not something you want to do but one you get the car out there it is one of the nicest rides in a snow storm (appropriate tires a given.)
Also the odd 993 Turbo was know to have been rallied and run up Pikes Peak.

So There! :loco:

(and this rant comes from someone for whom the MS3 was absolutely the most expensive car they could afford.)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Nice point on the 993.

If i drove a winter beater, i would only be able to drive my ms3 for 5 months a year.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Then again I we got a dusting of snow overnight here and my car is covered in salt spray from the road. UGGGGGHHHHHH, it pains me. However, a quick wash and it's no big deal, except here in NYC where we don't have driveways and hoses.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I agree with the MS3 in the snow comments getting old. I buy my cars to drive, not have sitting in a garage looking pretty.

As solipsism said "stop treating it like a porsche already. Its an economy car with some major performance related upgrades".

My old 4x4 dodge cost me more than the MS3 did, should I not have driven it in the snow? My MS3 gets around great in the snow. 'Course I've put on winter tires but I did the same with other cars, proper tires for the expected road conditions. Yes winter tires kill some of the performance but how fast are you really going to go on snow/ice covered roads? The only thing I really hate about driving it in the winter is the grime that gets all over it. My black mica looks more like primer gray till it gets warm enough to wash.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I got my first set of snow tires today and drove home in a blizzard sweet timing the difference is amazing I can actually drive on snow and not slide I got the hankook Ice bear great tire kinda spendy though $$$$$$ but it was worth it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts