Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read somewhere that driving in winter on the 17s is difficult. Does anyone have any experience yet?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Absolutely!

Absolutely. If you're driving the Goodyear 17 low profiles, forget it. I couldn't stop them skidding no matter what. They're crap. Look into Bridgestone Turenzas, they will kick arse. Unfortunately, you'll have to pay the full $205/CDN per tire, but they might save your life.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Better yet, save your rims and get 4 steelies w/snow tires on 16" wheels.

A bent rim is expensive to fix/replace and your summer 17" tires will be worthless in Calgary.

Yes, it's another $1000 or so more to account for, but if you want the GT you gotta play with the big boys when it comes time to maintain it too...

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Well we got 2 feet of snow here yesterday, dug out today... the Michelin Energy's that Mazda used on the 17" MZ6 rims seemed to do just fine. Nothin special, but not terrible.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
dinu01 said:
2 feet?

Wow!

Can you get some pics?
Not quite 2 feet, but yeah about 20-22" I took some pics today as I cleaned off my car... prolly doesn't look quite like two feet cause the wind blew everything everywhere, but it'll give ya an idea. I'll get them developed tomorrow.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The 17s that come with the 3 are all seasons, not a summer only tire; I didn't have any problem with them on snowy side streets when I took one for a test drive.

Of course some 16 inchers with snow tires would be better, but I'd think the stock tires should work fine if you can't afford another set of tires.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you are planning to drive with the Eagle RS-A in the snow be VERY careful. They have a bad reputation for winter conditions.

I guess they would be ok for a heavy car with a traction control, but with a light car, 160HP and no traction control it's a big no-go.

I will have mine delivered with rims and 205-55-16 Pirelli WinterSnowsport210. That's what I have right now on my current car and boy it makes a world of difference especially on starts and braking.

Drive safely :!:

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
The RSA are crap on snow unless you want to commit suicide lol.....They are super slippery under snow conditions. I have Yokohama's 205/50/R17 AVS Winter 901 and they are super nice...and expensive.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I test drove the car with the stock 17" and stock tires and yeah... they slipped quite badly on slushy pavement. I can't even imagine driving that in the snow. I think it would be hell. Mazda 2-20 has specials on 16" tires (President Panther) for 180$ plus tax for tire, rims and hubcap to fit the Mazda3 (obviously per wheel). Just in case anybody's interested. I bought them with the car today when I signed the contract. More info about those tires at www.presidentire.com. They are made in Montreal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Low profile tires aren't good for snow / slush regardless.

A set of steelies with snows or good allseasons would be a MUCH better choice.

They could make the difference between having your coffee in your lap and having rearended the guy infront of you when they slam on their brakes.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
landrumdh said:

They could make the difference between having your coffee in your lap and having rearended the guy infront of you when they slam on their brakes.
Almost true. Of course normally you are better off with rims and a higher and narrower tire. But if you got the money there's some great low profiles winter tires. I ain't keeping my 3 more than 4 years so I hate driving with ugly steel rims. But that's just me though.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
M3-GT said:
landrumdh said:

Almost true. Of course normally you are better off with rims and a higher and narrower tire. But if you got the money there's some great low profiles winter tires. I ain't keeping my 3 more than 4 years so I hate driving with ugly steel rims. But that's just me though.
I'm not sure about the narrower part? Why would you want narrower? In snow (or in any situation,r eally) hte more you can get on the pavement, the better, I'd think?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
In snow, you want less friction from the snow ahead of the tires and more PSI concentrated from the tire to the ground to get better traction. That's why you want narrower and higher tires (to a certain point). If you have the chance to look on tv at some rally cars performing in the snow you'll see what I mean. They use really narrow tires. It's ugly but more efficient.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
dinu01 said:
Wow! That was a lot of snow Dan!!!
Yeah it's all melting now though... New England is weird like that, our snowstorms come when there's a cold front sitting on us and a warm front comes up from the south bringing moisture, so it snows a lot but then starts melting immediately. Down in CT I hear it's almost entirely gone - of course, they got half of what we did here.

·
Registered
232 Posts
M3-GT said:
In snow, you want less friction from the snow ahead of the tires and more PSI concentrated from the tire to the ground to get better traction. That's why you want narrower and higher tires (to a certain point). If you have the chance to look on tv at some rally cars performing in the snow you'll see what I mean. They use really narrow tires. It's ugly but more efficient.
Thanx for the info, M3-GT...you learn something new everyday...

I saw those stock 17"s on the 3 and they're gi-normous, to say the least....what does a one inch difference do for you...and for those of you that say 16" is better, what is the difference between that and a 15" per say? Is it just about the looks?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Heh, I used to drive all the time with 225/50/15 or /16 on my Mustangs over the years. Yeah it could snowplow well but on that RWD car the extra contact patch on the rear helped.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts