Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, i've been wondering if there was an "official wine thread" i searched but didnt really find anything. i dont really know a lot about wine, but was wanting to find out different things to try and what kind of things to try and such. i know we have a few good beer threads, how about a wine thread?

·
Registered
12,421 Posts
Well If you have a Trader Joes nearby hit some 3 Buck Chuck..I like pretty much all of their stuff (it's actually called Charles Shaw, but its like $2.93 a bottle thus 3buck chuck)

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
stay away from this stuff

My friends & I had a chugging contest with it once. we all ended up on the floor in the bathroom puking into the toilet. not pleasant or classy.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I recently had a Mark West Pinot Noir that was pretty good. I'm fonder of the light to medium reds more than anything. I'd love to discuss some wine though I'm not nearly as versred in it as I am beer.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
[quote author=buttdart link=topic=117777.msg2468555#msg2468555 date=1216238462]
a recent purchase.

[/quote]

are you a prepubescent girl?

and i like chateau st michelle, robert mondavi reserve and my personal favorite Cline: ancient vines zinfendel. mywife and i visited the vinyard a couple years back and just loved it. Cline is offered at most wine shops and every once in a while you can find it at an upscale super market. hope this provides more help than the other posts :slap:

·
Registered
13,729 Posts
[quote author=MZ3sZoomZoom link=topic=117777.msg2468564#msg2468564 date=1216238602]
Well If you have a Trader Joes nearby hit some 3 Buck Chuck..I like pretty much all of their stuff (it's actually called Charles Shaw, but its like $2.93 a bottle thus 3buck chuck)
[/quote]

It's 2 buck chuck out here. :) It's $1.99 at all local TJ's.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
[quote author=buttdart link=topic=117777.msg2468630#msg2468630 date=1216240401]
yes i am.

want to see?
[/quote]

lol i'm curious now :)

·
Registered
13,729 Posts
I was with my father and a friend from England one day, driving through Napa Valley (the joy of living within driving distance), and we ventured upon this small family run winery tucked way in the hills of Sonoma. Their Cab Franc was the best wine they ever tasted. It was so good, we've been back several times to purchase more wine. Unfortunately they do not ship or sell to stores, so you must go to them.

Very much worth it! :)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
i can't remember the name, but there was another place we visited while in sonoma that had a wine that had a distinct butterscotch after taste. it was wild!! regular white wine flavor going down and then BAM!! butterscotch. and the same deal where they don't ship to outside vendors, you had to go through them

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Don't knock box wine. There are some decent wines coming in box form now. I have a box of Washington Hills Cabernet in the cupboard at home. It's nice because it lasts for weeks and is far less money!

I used to wait tables at high end restaurants and have consumed many "high end" wines. I hate spending money on over priced wine when it's just a beverage.

My favorite Trader Joes wines are Honey Moon Viognier and Tucan Moon Sangiovese.

·
Registered
38,019 Posts
[quote author=MZ3sZoomZoom link=topic=117777.msg2468564#msg2468564 date=1216238602]
[/quote]

+1 on 3 buck chuck! Quality can vary pretty widely just because of its nature, but for the price you can't really complain LOL.

I was at Sakonnet Vineyards in RI all weekend, and will be there again starting Friday. They have a Vidal Blanc that while I don't particularly care for it (too sweet) is their signature. Also a very good Chardonnay, and their table white (Newport) ain't bad either.

I'm also partial to the 05 Chadronnay from Westport Rivers Vineyard in Westport MA, where I'll be later in the summer. Both their Chardonnay and their Champagne are 5 or so-time award winners, and I can't wait to try the '06 this year :)

Sterling also has a nice Sauv Blanc, and there was a South African one I had once, Oracle, I rather enjoyed.

And there was a Chilean (I believe) Chard whose name I can't remember but it was excellent. Don't really want to contact my former employers to ask them to remind me what it was though :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've been drinking a lot of Syrah and related blends lately. My current favorite is from Page Springs Cellars in northern Arizona, their 2006 Paso Robles Syrah. I was turned on to their wines last year and have had quite a few since.

As far as whites go, can't go wrong with Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio, can usually be found for about $18 a bottle at places like Costco and etc. Its a little dry as far as Pinot Grigio goes and I love it.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
The name is escaping me now, but there is an Italian Vinyard that makes a really great Chianti. I have a bottle of it sitting at home waiting for Friday night. I generally prefer Chiantis and Cabernet Sauvignon. I'll also take a good Gewurztraminer or Pinot Grigio for a white. Other varities I certianly will take a Merlot or a Pinot Noir. I generally perfer middle of the road to slightly sweet white wines and drier varieties of red wines.
-Matt

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
[quote author=killerkitty link=topic=117777.msg2472505#msg2472505 date=1216354500]
reunite raspberry < best wine ever!!!!

arbor mist strawberry

arbor mist exotic fruit
[/quote]

Seriously? Arbor mist? Ick.

I checked, Gambio is the winery name. Very good stuff.
-Matt

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
It's nice to see some here drinking wines from their region. I try to only buy wine from WA, OR or CA. We have so many terrific domestic wines, I can't see a reason for creating a need to import wine from Chile, Australia etc. The ocean vessels they are shipped on place an unnecessary toll on the environment.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts