Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering about ways to improve the life and performance of windshield wipers. I live near the ocean, so the salt air makes them break down more quickly.

I read one opinion, that said put Petroleum Jelly on them (a very, very thin layer). But since Petroleum Jelly contains (drum roll) mineral oils - is that really a good idea? I thought anything that contains mineral oil, would generally be bad to put on rubber.

Any advice on how to make Windshield Wipers last longer?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wondering about ways to improve the life and performance of windshield wipers. I live near the ocean, so the salt air makes them break down more quickly.

I read one opinion, that said put Petroleum Jelly on them (a very, very thin layer). But since Petroleum Jelly contains (drum roll) mineral oils - is that really a good idea? I thought anything that contains mineral oil, would generally be bad to put on rubber.

Any advice on how to make Windshield Wipers last longer?
I would try a silicon product which Honda’s use. It’s called Shin Etsu.
I put it on my wipers & other rubber trim parts and it extends their life. It’s available at Amazon. It’s Honda part 08798-9013.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would try a silicon product which Honda’s use. It’s called Shin Etsu.
I put it on my wipers & other rubber trim parts and it extends their life. It’s available at Amazon. It’s Honda part 08798-9013.

Hope this helps.
Agree. I've always heard that silicone was the treatment for rubber. Of course I rarely think to use it until door seals and such start showing signs of drying out and it's too late. Will look that one up. Sounds like it might be a good thing to add to the maintenance schedule. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Agree. I've always heard that silicone was the treatment for rubber. Of course I rarely think to use it until door seals and such start showing signs of drying out and it's too late. Will look that one up. Sounds like it might be a good thing to add to the maintenance schedule. Thanks.
Just did some reading. Cleaning the blades when you wash the car is important. There are several protective products available for both wiper blades and rubber parts in general. Like 303. Most of them are less expensive than the Honda Shin Etsu. Haven't used any of them so I can't offer any comparison. I found some pretty good general info here.
Silicone Lubricant Grease For O-Rings – Your Ultimate Guide
If you don't like reading, scroll down to the parts about silicone. My cars spend more than their fair share of time cooking in the La-Tex. sun. It kills rubber and vinyl and is pretty hard on paint. I've aready found using a well fitting windshield blocking screen helpful to the interior and will probably start using one of these silicone products on the wiper blades and door seals.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can also sand them when they start to get brittle and hard. I do this a couple of times per blade and get about 2-3x the life out of them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts