Mazda3 Forums banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
it's made it this long b/c no naked women sit on my car. :( but i will admit there are VERY small scratches here and there, but only a few and you really have to look for them in the right light.

and the only thing i didn't like about the film on the outside was that it limited the kinds of glass cleaner i could use to ammonia-free, which means i couldn't clean my windows at service stations (since most of them have ammonia in their mixes). and being on the outside, i would argue, gave better heat rejection properties which is why i got the stuff anyway.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I'm still baffled by it. Tint just isn't an exterior application......

Water and soap is how they remove the tint, if ever need be, so I don't see why you would expose it to that element (i.e. Rain).

Wutever....

·
Registered
157 Posts
oskicat said:
yeah i agree putting it on the outside makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. what purpose would there be to putting it on the outside instead of the inside?.. unless the guy was just the laziest bastard on earth.
better heat rejection. now i'm not saying that it's fact, or that the guy that installed it told me this, but i've thought about it and it makes sense to me: if the film is on the outside of the glass, it will reject heat before the heat gets to the glass. if the film is on the inside, then the heat gets to the glass first, heating it up and thus transferring heat to the inside of the car more easily. though i don't think inside versus outside affects the transmission of UV rays.

so i'm not trying to argue FOR putting it on the outside, just trying to explain a possible advantage. i'd rather have it on the inside, so there's no chance of it getting scratched.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well this is interesting. I never knew there was a line that you couldn't tint below. My eyebrow on my windshield goes a good 1-1.5" below that line, but it doesnt bother me at all, I really like that strip. It blocks the sun pretty well when it is in your eyes.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Actually, inside or out, the heat should be the same. The glass is a conductor, and would easily transfer the heat from the film to the car.The heat reduction is based on the reduced amount of light coming into the car, meaning it heats up fewer surfaces of the car's interior.

FormulaOne.com:
Formula One is a microthin film that is installed on the inside of your car windows. It has a patented adhesive system that bonds the film to the glass... and can be placed on the back and side windows of your car.
FYI - I took it mine back to my installer today - they completely replaced the rear window, and the entire driver side. Thank GOD it's not summer, or else I'd die without being able to roll down the windows! Still not 100% happy with this job, but it's much better than last week.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
has anyone used solarguard as their tint? if so how good is it? i hear everyone else using different brands...but the tint shop thta imma go to uses this one in particular ...just wanted some insight on it! thanks!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
The place I'm getting my tint done on Thursday uses 3M, Huper Optik and a few other kinds, but since I don't want to spend 500 on my tint, they said 3M is the top of the line there. SolarGuard can't be bad, just makes sure the place gives you a copy of the warranty and does a good job so the warranty applies. Of course, if they don't do a good job, the warranty covers a replacement, so...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
:shock: dayam, that is a hot chick.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
umm... RPC?? You in the right thread still, or is this delayed from the Pics of Girls thread?? ;)

·
Registered
330 Posts
funkyfreshmonke said:
has anyone used solarguard as their tint? if so how good is it? i hear everyone else using different brands...but the tint shop thta imma go to uses this one in particular ...just wanted some insight on it! thanks!
I got Solar Guard on mine. Seems like the shop did a good job. They switched from 3M because they were having problems with 3M covering warranties. They haven't had any problems with Solar Guard

·
Registered
774 Posts
SunGuard seems like ok stuff. I would prefer Formula One, personally, but the local shop uses 3M, and they've been doing it for 17 years, so I'm going to trust their judgement. One of my coworkers got his 4Runner tinted there, and they did such a nice job it's amazing. So clean and it was dry within 3 hours.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
DJ Spencer said:
umm... RPC?? You in the right thread still, or is this delayed from the Pics of Girls thread?? ;)
Spence, man, you posted the link with the ad, I clicked it and then responded, but you might be right and it belongs in the other thread :oops:

·
Registered
157 Posts
DJ Spencer said:
Go to Custom Sun Control, just north of Dobbins AFB. Don't remember if it's actually on 41 or not. Ask for Danny, just tell him that Jason Spencer from California sent you his way.

Don't know if he can cut a deal or not, but it would be the best damn tint job you ever got. He's been involved in car customizations/accents for a long time - probably close to 15 years or more.
well i'm finally getting around to tinting. i called your friend danny, but they were real busy and we couldn't get our schedules to line up. so i'm taking it to the guy that does tinting for my dealer. he uses llumar, and i'm going to get 35% 'Titanium' (the smokey kind) on all 5 windows, no brow. cost is $299 (same as danny's quote).

thanks for the reference, though. and i'll post pix when the car's all purty-fied.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey darkside3 I see the front strip but is the rest of the car tinted?? It looks stock in the pics

61 - 79 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.