Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my MS3 for about a month now and I've started noticing a rattling sound when I go over some bumps coming from the windshield area. It's not always easily reproducible because sometimes I'll hit a bump and it'll make the sound and then another bump of similar size may not make the sound. I've read some posts about a dash rattling but I'm not sure if it's the same. Does anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the links. That's very helpful. I just ran a search and couldn't find much about another noise I'm hearing. Sometimes when turning, I'll hear a slight metallic ringing / grinding sound. It's like taking a metal plate and sliding it against the ground.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
[quote author=lead farmer link=topic=136517.msg2952054#msg2952054 date=1235231023]
dealer installed the felt things under the cowl and the windshield rattle hasn't come back. i was getting used to it but didn't like explaining the noise to passengers.
[/quote]

It will come back. Always does.

·
Registered
103 Posts
[quote author=lead farmer link=topic=136517.msg2952054#msg2952054 date=1235231023]
dealer installed the felt things under the cowl and the windshield rattle hasn't come back. i was getting used to it but didn't like explaining the noise to passengers.
[/quote]

Lead, can you actually see the felt things? I took my car in for this to be corrected last week and it sounded no different after i got it back. I couldn't even tell if they did anything.

I turn my stereo up too but sometimes the best music is the sound of your engine!

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Got those clips replaced, rattle came back about a month later rofl....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Had the dealership fix mine 2 weeks after I got the car.. hasn't returned since.

TSB from Mazda:

CHATTERING NOISE AT BASE OF WINDSHIELD COWL GRILL
Applicable Models

Model Starting S/N Ending S/N Model Spec
MAZDA3 2007-2008 000000 ZZZZZZ

Related Category/Subcategory/Symptoms
BODY AND ACCESSORY / ON-BOARD TROUBLESHOOTING / UNUSUAL NOISE(EXCL. PINGING,SQUEAKING,OPERATION,RESONANCE)
BODY AND ACCESSORY / EXTERIOR TRIM / EXCESSIVE OPERATION NOISE
BODY AND ACCESSORY / WINDOW GLASSES / UNUSUAL VIBRATION/CHATTER
BODY AND ACCESSORY / TRIMS AND MATS/CARPET / RESONANCE NOISE
BODY AND ACCESSORY / INSTR.PANEL/GLOVEBOX / UNUSUAL NOISE(EXCL. PINGING,SQUEAKING,OPERATION,RESONANCE)

MTOL - 5636 Dealer Repair Information
Symptom and Conditions

Some customers may experience a chattering noise when passing over bumps
and/or driving on a rough roads,that may be confused as a dash rattle
at the base of the windshield.

Condition may be the result of a stick slips noise that occurs between
the cowl grill and the windshield.

Repair Procedure

When you encounter a customer with this concern replace the insulator
pads on the 8 hooks of the cowl grill with improved part as listed.

Part No. L206-50-794 Qty. 8 (4 per side)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.