Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a silver 2008 Mazda 3 with black interior and I was hoping to get some information about window tinting because this is the first car I've owned. I was planning to go to my local Star Auto Glass because I heard good reviews from them. I was just wondering what you think is the best film (if I have the option) and what percentage option I should go with. I want something that is noticeably dark compared to factory tint but at the same time I don't want to compromise my safety when I'm driving at night and something that is still legal (I live in Ontario btw). I was thinking 35% all around but some say that's too light. If any of you guys have pictures of something similar to my car with window tint that would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

P.S. I'm planning to call them anyways and see what they think is best but I just wanted to get a second opinion.

·
Registered
153 Posts
50% is not enough if you ask me, however that is all thats legal in Minnesota. I had them do a blend down to 40% and I really liked that so I think you going with 35% is a good choice. Gives a nice black finish to the windows without looking like limo tint.

·
Registered
261 Posts
50% is not enough if you ask me, however that is all thats legal in Minnesota. I had them do a blend down to 40% and I really liked that so I think you going with 35% is a good choice. Gives a nice black finish to the windows without looking like limo tint.
Where did you have it done, and can I ask how much it cost you? I'm in Eden Prairie.

My car actually came tinted, was done in CA and was darker than MN allows (not sure what % it was). I was ok for a few years but finally got a fix-it ticket last year and had to remove it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sun Control. I used to be right up off 169 by the fleet farm, just before 610 but I think they moved/expanded. Their website says they have one right there in EP

Eden Prairie, MN
7222 Washington Ave S
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

I had it done on a Lancer back when I was in high school, about 10 years ago and I think it ran about $100-120. I was only pulled over once for it in the 4 years I drove it on 94 about 100 feet from the "Welcome to Wisconsin" sign. State trooper did the measurement thing and said that it was about 40-45%. Gave me a warning, was more concerned about the drugs he thought I had in my car which was total BS.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a silver 2008 Mazda 3 with black interior and I was hoping to get some information about window tinting because this is the first car I've owned. I was planning to go to my local Star Auto Glass because I heard good reviews from them. I was just wondering what you think is the best film (if I have the option) and what percentage option I should go with. I want something that is noticeably dark compared to factory tint but at the same time I don't want to compromise my safety when I'm driving at night and something that is still legal (I live in Ontario btw). I was thinking 35% all around but some say that's too light. If any of you guys have pictures of something similar to my car with window tint that would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

P.S. I'm planning to call them anyways and see what they think is best but I just wanted to get a second opinion.
Hey other... I'd go with the 35% all around... I get pulled over regularly... Three times in the last year ...all by the state troopers... You are only allowed 50% up front and 35 % in the rear side ....I have 20% in the rear window and they can't read it because they can't get the gauge on both sides of the glass.... None the less I had to get an eye doctors note stating my eyes are too sensitive to light ...they don't like it when I break that letter out but still no tickets for them .....
Save yourself the hassle an just go 35% all around you'll be happy uploadfromtaptalk1459039746847.jpg

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
35% is really light. But anything lower than that will be extremely dark lol. I have 20% in the front 5% in back and sometimes I can't see shit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
35% is pretty light. Anyone will be able to see into the car, and right through it at 35%. Something to keep in mind.

And id stay away from anything 10% or darker if your worried about night vision, as 10% and darker at night can be a bitch. DO NOT do 5%. As that makes your mirrors pretty much useless at night. And might as well just throw the rear view mirror away. lol

I have 5 cars right now all with full tints of different ranges. My CX9 is 20% front, then 35% on top of the factory rear tint giving me about a 20% / 18% combo. Then my Mazda6 has 30% front with 10% rear. My Escalade is 25% front, with 20% rear. My 626 is 30% all around, and my Kia Sportage is like 35% fronts, with 20% rears.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts