Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will powder coated rims fade or change color?
Im planning to do mine white.

The powdercoated rims i've seen are usually kind of dull, is it possible to make them more shiney?

Are there other powdercoating methods?

Anyone know how much it is and which bodyshops do it in BC?

THX

·
Registered
187 Posts
Powder coating can be any color that you can think about and any shiny you want. A good powder coating offer a protection of at least 2000 Hours in a Salt Spray Test when applied over a metal part. Good powder coating will not fade agaisnt sun in the life of your car...
Thing about powder coating is like many things... u pay for the quality u get.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just as death said, you can have them powdercoated "glossy." I did this on my S2000 because I hated matte black, but wanted something different. Below are some pics (poor) if my wheels, notice the light reflecting off of them. Up close, in person, you can see a reflection off of them and they actually look like Onyx. I do also know some guys that used the same powdercoater later and had their wheels clear coated, but I did not. My wheels have stayed in good shape for about 3 years now. I had them powdercoated "95% gloss" in black. Note: Powdercoating is pre-mixed so you'll have to find a place that carries the type of PC you want (there are numerous brands and colors / finishes).

·
Registered
35 Posts
very

^^^very nice s2k!!!

yea i got my rims powdercoated as well in gloss mirror black, its WAY better then painting but you pay a lil more. and ive had mine powder coated for about 1 year, no fading or changing color... theyre not supposed to i think...

it does chip though... could be because hawaii roads suck crap though...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mansu if ur powder coating ''chips'' its because the preparation of the surface wasnt good and that ended in a poor adhesion. On a good powder coating you will be able to take a knife and make a scratch and u will never get a ''chip'' before 2000 Hours in a salt spray test by the norm B-117.

·
Registered
35 Posts
sweetdeath said:
Mansu if ur powder coating ''chips'' its because the preparation of the surface wasnt good and that ended in a poor adhesion. On a good powder coating you will be able to take a knife and make a scratch and u will never get a ''chip'' before 2000 Hours in a salt spray test by the norm B-117.
hmmm... thanks... i wasnt aware of that... but theres only 1 powder coating place here in Hawaii so im kinda sh*t outta luck... you think i should complain??? if so is there any written proof about the longevity of powder coating that i can show them to convince them to re-powder coat my rims?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I dont think there any written proof. Most of the powder coating rate their powder coating by the number of hours they can hold under the ASTM B-117 norm. A compagny that I use here rate and warrant their powder coating for 2000 Hours and its Canada. Somethime we import product from China and its hard there to find a compagny that rate their powder coating over 700 Hours.

But i think you can ask them to look at your wheels and how the powder coating ''chipped'' instead of just making a scrach to you think they mau had a adherence problem when they made them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
although powder coating DOES weaken a wheel's stuctural integrety,
IT IS PROVEN ,, do a little research and you will see..

but dont get me wrong they look nice.. so does chrome.. but like anything.. theres always a problem somewhere.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Tight-Mazda3 said:
although powder coating DOES weaken a wheel's stuctural integrety,
IT IS PROVEN ,, do a little research and you will see..

but dont get me wrong they look nice.. so does chrome.. but like anything.. theres always a problem somewhere.
This is not totally true, maybe for some wheels but definately not all. Some stock rims already powder coated, Our wheels would have to be chemicaly dipped to remove the original coat and then powder coated the new color.

--Herb--

·
Registered
13 Posts
yea there might be a few rims out there that wont weaken.. but you gotta admit..
the chance of you getting a rim that wont weaken is like sticking your hand in a bag of pennies with out looking, and hoping to pull out a penny that was made before 1950 !

yea sure it can happen, but there is always that guess and the ods are against you.

·
Registered
363 Posts
[quote author=sweetdeath link=topic=5699.msg77382#msg77382 date=1083794287]
Mansu if ur powder coating ''chips'' its because the preparation of the surface wasnt good and that ended in a poor adhesion.  On a good powder coating you will be able to take a knife and make a scratch and u will never get a ''chip'' before 2000 Hours in a salt spray test by the norm B-117.
[/quote]

are you serious?? i had my rims powdercoated and on a few chipped parts..i am able to scratch off the powdercoat..and i have so many chipped parts on my rims..are you saying its that they did a crappy job powdercoating?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.