Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was hit from behind last week. Link is here:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=135537.0

Everyone keeps saying oh it wont drive the same it will never be the same again, etc, etc. I do like to corner hard in it sometimes and drive it like it was meant to be driven, but is it probable that I will notice any kind of change in the handling? They have to replace the control arm and I am not sure if they will have to replace any other suspension components yet.

Anyway, the guy there said they do not report the damage to CarFax, but the insurance company might. I have not checked my report to see if the last little fender bender when the last guy hit me has shown up or not.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
It's doubtful that anyone here can speculate on whether or not the car will drive the same or different once the repair is complete.

In some claims, drivers have sought compensation for diminished value knowing that having a car in a reported accident may be worth less then one that has not. If that is a concern, then you should speak with your agent.

·
Registered
31 Posts
[quote author=danielj link=topic=135806.msg2924604#msg2924604 date=1234221319]
It's doubtful that anyone here can speculate on whether or not the car will drive the same or different once the repair is complete.

In some claims, drivers have sought compensation for diminished value knowing that having a car in a reported accident may be worth less then one that has not. If that is a concern, then you should speak with your agent.
[/quote]

I agree with this. There is no way to know just how much damage there is to the suspension mounting points back there. The only way you will know is to take a good look at the underside of the car and have the frame accurately measured for out of true. I would also take the car to a trusted alignment shop to have it inspected after you get it back from the body shop.

I had something similar to this happen to my VW (took a hit to the wheel) and it was never the same or drove the same again. The body looked fine after the repairs, but the car would not hold an alignment and the alignment shop owner showed me how the frame was bent beyond repair and was no longer structurally sound. I sold that car for a huge loss just to be rid of it, so if your car doesn't check out right after the repairs, try to go for a diminished value claim with the insurance company.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts