Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so as the title says...if i upgrade to a short shifter with all the bushings, will it fix the problem of popping out of gear..mostly 2nd??

·
Registered
432 Posts
It will not fix the problem. My 2nd gear was popping out with the short shifter in. Go to Mazda and get your tranny replaced under warranty like I did. For a matter of fact, they actually tried to blame my short shifter.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote author=skeeter149 link=topic=133872.msg2877309#msg2877309 date=1232476572]
ummm i think more importantly the question is why are you popping out of second gear. i have never had that problem?
[/quote]

it doesnt happen frequently. but this has been a known problem for a few folks on here. [quote author=dkohn1337 link=topic=133872.msg2877372#msg2877372 date=1232478094]
It will not fix the problem. My 2nd gear was popping out with the short shifter in. Go to Mazda and get your tranny replaced under warranty like I did. For a matter of fact, they actually tried to blame my short shifter.
[/quote]

interesting. well it doesnt happen all the time like i said. how long did it take them to fix your tranny??

·
Registered
93 Posts
I guy that I autocross with who has the same car as me (08 Mazdaspeed 3), used to have the 2nd gear popout under very heavy braking. I personally have never had the problem (I don't hit the brakes nearly as hard as he does). He installed the Cobb shifter weight and claims that it fixed the gear popout problem. Its a pretty inexpensive part, around 35 bucks I think and it is supposed to improve shift feel as well.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
605 Posts
If you are experiencing this problem with the stock shifter, then adding a sts will on make the problem worse. Due to the fact that the shifter will be able to pop out more easily w/ less distance to travel.

As chodaboy1980 said, it is the stock counter-weight on the shifter that is the problem. Maybe try removing the stock conter-weight on the shifter, and see if it helps. Or purchasing Cobb's replacement counter-weight, if you do not like the feel of no weight. The reason Cobb released their new counter-weight was the stocker was rubbing on fmic piping and was causing the gears to pop out under hard breaking and acceleration w/ thier sts.

It is worth a try before going to the "stealership" and having to fight w/ everyone! :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
[quote author=mister_chua link=topic=133872.msg2877410#msg2877410 date=1232478596]
[quote author=skeeter149 link=topic=133872.msg2877309#msg2877309 date=1232476572]
ummm i think more importantly the question is why are you popping out of second gear. i have never had that problem?
[/quote]

it doesnt happen frequently. but this has been a known problem for a few folks on here. [quote author=dkohn1337 link=topic=133872.msg2877372#msg2877372 date=1232478094]
[/quote]

interesting. well it doesnt happen all the time like i said. how long did it take them to fix your tranny??
[/quote]

My car was at the dealership for about 2 weeks. It was sitting there for a week waiting for parts to arrive.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Was it popping out of gear during hard braking?? If so, that happens because the stock shifter weight is too heavy. Inertia wants to keep the shifter weight moving forward while the car is trying to stop; causing it to pop out of gear if youre not holding the shifter. try the Cobb shifter weight; its .66lbs lighter. It also makes shifts effortless, it is the perfect weight... at oakos.com the shifter weight is only $25

·
Registered
432 Posts
[quote author=Th3yCa11meC link=topic=133872.msg2881904#msg2881904 date=1232599243]
Was it popping out of gear during hard braking?? If so, that happens because the stock shifter weight is too heavy. Inertia wants to keep the shifter weight moving forward while the car is trying to stop; causing it to pop out of gear if youre not holding the shifter. try the Cobb shifter weight; its .66lbs lighter. It also makes shifts effortless, it is the perfect weight... at oakos.com the shifter weight is only $25
[/quote]

Good information but I dont think that will resolve his problems. I had the cobb shifter weight installed when i had the problem so im pretty confident the synchros are fried.

·
Registered
122 Posts
[quote author=2008jayspeed3 link=topic=133872.msg2877894#msg2877894 date=1232487820]
If you are experiencing this problem with the stock shifter, then adding a sts will on make the problem worse. Due to the fact that the shifter will be able to pop out more easily w/ less distance to travel.

As chodaboy1980 said, it is the stock counter-weight on the shifter that is the problem. Maybe try removing the stock conter-weight on the shifter, and see if it helps. Or purchasing Cobb's replacement counter-weight, if you do not like the feel of no weight. The reason Cobb released their new counter-weight was the stocker was rubbing on fmic piping and was causing the gears to pop out under hard breaking and acceleration w/ thier sts.

It is worth a try before going to the "stealership" and having to fight w/ everyone! :)
[/quote]

The SS woulds have nothing to do with it, why would it? They just changes the pivot point on the shifter in the car and have nothing to do with what's going on under the hood.

Check the weight under the hood to see if it's actually hitting something. Otherwise this sounds like a tranny issue that has popped up before so try the dealership.

·
Registered
386 Posts
[quote author=kingpin748 link=topic=133872.msg2882637#msg2882637 date=1232642788]
[quote author=2008jayspeed3 link=topic=133872.msg2877894#msg2877894 date=1232487820]

[/quote]

The SS woulds have nothing to do with it, why would it? They just changes the pivot point on the shifter in the car and have nothing to do with what's going on under the hood.

Check the weight under the hood to see if it's actually hitting something. Otherwise this sounds like a tranny issue that has popped up before so try the dealership.
[/quote]

This has happened to me as well. I took off the shifter weight and it has still happened to me on some occasions but definitely not as often. The problem with bringing it to the dealership is you have to replicate the problem for them. There is a very high chance that is will not be replicated, thus I have not taken it in for this problem yet. I have 31k miles on my car, so if this becomes more of an issue down the road the tranny would be covered under the powertrain warranty, correct?

·
Registered
386 Posts
[quote author=dkohn1337 link=topic=133872.msg2884811#msg2884811 date=1232697329]
Depends how bad it is. On my situation, it was happening 10 out of 10 times.
[/quote]

Oh mine is not nearly as bad. That sucks. Why did the synchro's go so fast? Also...on the bill how much would it have cost if it weren't covered under warranty?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I doubt it is the weight. It happened to my car too. They had to replace the synchros. Took nearly a month because their only good tech was doing an engine swap in an RX-8 and ordering the parts took forever.

·
Registered
386 Posts
[quote author=Lincoln link=topic=133872.msg2885683#msg2885683 date=1232735118]
Mine has been popping out of gear allot lately!
It has also been really hard to put into gear when it is cold.
Plus I have been hearing the LSD groaning all the time.

[/quote]

Yeah I hear my LSD groaning as well, but it only happens when turning when the car is not warmed up. For the difficulty putting it into 2nd...try pulling up on the shifter while shifting from 1st to 2nd, seemed to help the problem a little bit.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Mine has also been popping out of gear more often lately. Mainly it happens to me when going down hills in 2nd gear and braking. However, it has also happened when on a flat surface, so I know for a fact it is getting worse.

I am approaching 36k miles, so like I asked before, what is covered under the 5yr 60k mile powertrain warranty?

·
Registered
122 Posts
[quote author=qwerty4550 link=topic=133872.msg2941611#msg2941611 date=1234841014]
Mine has also been popping out of gear more often lately. Mainly it happens to me when going down hills in 2nd gear and braking. However, it has also happened when on a flat surface, so I know for a fact it is getting worse.

I am approaching 36k miles, so like I asked before, what is covered under the 5yr 60k mile powertrain warranty?
[/quote]

Yes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.