Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here goes, I am freaking out and I need someone to help please!

I was driving yesterday and pulled in 2nd pretty hard and noticed my boost gauge was all over the place, even though it was set to 8psi via the manual boost controller.

I also noticed that there was a little lack of power (and much more turbo lag) and the turbo/engine(?) made a weird spooling (not grinding, just kind of like air being sucked in something, but far from normal turbo spool) noise in 1st, and 2nd gears. In 3rd/4th/5th the turbo spools up normally and doesn't go past 8psi.

I also noticed the boost gauge giving random readings like 20psi when my foot isn't even on the throttle, and sometimes just jumping between 0psi and 5psi while normally driving at 55mph.

I am running the Hiboost kit w/ IHI VF22, Haltech F10X, Boost solenoid, Tial 38mm Wastegate etc. Install was done by Manuel @ TBK in Miami.

Got any ideas as to why its doing this? I noticed that there is a blue hose/wire thing connected to the Tial waste gate that might not be on all the way. Could this be it, or is it something else?

Please try to help if you can,

Tom

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Re: Tial 38mm Wastegate PROBLEMS!!!

Sounds like a vaccum line leak somewhere, wether it be on the boost controller, the wastegate itself, or the boost gauge line. Is the car sluggish, as in slow like its not boosting at all, like stock mazda3 slow? if so, blown coupler. We need more detail, some pics of your setup would be good too.

Is TBK still around?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for the quick reply. No the car isn't sluggish. It spools up and gives me boost but it sounds different and this is only in 1st and 2nd where it spools up quickly. TBK is still around, I was talking to Manuel a few weeks ago via email about a few things and he responded pretty quickly so assume hes still down there.

I don't have my camera with me right now but if I cant figure this out today I'll take some pics and post them for you guys.

Tom

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

[quote author=aminzer link=topic=139960.msg3016479#msg3016479 date=1237999956]
def not wastegate issue atleast yet, you gotta fix the issue with your boost gauge which is most likely vaccume line realted, whether its the line going to your boostgauge, mapsensor, or wastegate, it sounds vaccume related
[/quote]

I've checked over all the vacuum lines and no signs of anything loose or leaking, however the blue hose going from the solenoid to the wastegate appears to not be on all the way, however I cant reach my hands past the turbine housing to push it on all the way and putting the car on a lift isn't an option today, but tomorrow I will have a chance to get it up on the lift and look at it.

*edit* OK I managed to get my hand down there and push the blue hose on all the way and after testing the car out its still doing the same thing. I just don't understand.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Well it wasn't the waste gate, and there are no exhaust leaks. But I'm running fairly rich (exhaust tip = pitch black, horrible fuel mileage, etc), would the engine sound different if it was running rich or something? I'm really confused...

·
Registered
3,326 Posts

well if ur gettin bad gas milage and the tip is black than ya most likely your running rich especially if its the hiboost base map cause that thing was horribly rich, u need a wideband and to tune your shit. but the car wont neccessarily sound different, but i mean you will gain a lot of power by leanning it out a bit

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Update,

Well still have not figured it out but today something different happened. It sounded different still but in 2nd gear from like 5k rpms ---> redline it sputtered quite abit (and there was very little, if any power), shifted in 3rd, spooled up fine but sputtered a little in higher rpms.

The engine itself or something on it (intake manifold???) is sounding different.

Could this be a damaged intake manifold?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts

injector size? could be running out of fuel?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

440cc... Would they make the weird noise if they were being stressed too bad?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts

doubt it. but if you were running lean or rich it could do weird things? hook your laptop up to the ecu and see if the injectors are maxing out at upper rpm (100% duty cycle). also do you have an afr gauge?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I do not have an A/F gauge, but I plan on getting one soon. Which do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
^ I really really like my AEM UEGO gauge.

Have you checked out your spark plugs yet? If you were running super rich for awhile they could be pretty fouled. The upper RPM stuttering sounds like maybe you're blowing out the spark and it's missing. Definitely inspect them.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Does the haltech require a vacuum line to go to it?
If your rich it's cause the ecu(s) think your lean.
You need a uego, those narrowband o2's dont respond quick enough to be accurate.
Do you have a boost vacuum gauge?
Whats your vacuum at idle?
Do you know if you have a boost leak?

And soot/carbon/crap around the exhaust is normal to a point.

Pull a o2 sensor out and see if it is fouled.
If it is clean it with a propane torch.
Check your plugs.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
[quote author=ekanddsm link=topic=139960.msg3035138#msg3035138 date=1238708983]
Pull a o2 sensor out and see if it is fouled.
If it is clean it with a propane torch.
Check your plugs.
[/quote]

Can you really clean an O2 sensor by torching it?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wait, so before I go any further, fouled plugs will make a distinctive and odd sound when the engine is in the higher rpm range?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
just pull the plugs and look at them... take 10 mins, take pics even. will tell alot...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts