Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noob here, sorry but I was wondering what is the widest TIRE that can be put on stock 17" :shock: :shock: :shock: snowflake. No drop done. All stock.. Thanks for any and all replies...

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
You don't want to go any wider than 215 on the stock wheels, they are relatively narrow.

However, with the right setup (STIFF) and rolled fenders, you can fit up to a 9" wide wheel and 245 tires. But that won't be cheap...

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I've heard about rolling fenders alot, but I never see pics of it being done. Or for that matter, where do you get it done? Is there a tool that anyone can use to do it? I've been thinking about this same thing, just on aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a noticeable difference going from 205 to 215? Thank you...

Me thinks "rollin the fender" is code for something else.. :shock: That's why you don't see any pix of it!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=Cain link=topic=136003.msg2929213#msg2929213 date=1234371474]
I've heard about rolling fenders alot, but I never see pics of it being done. Or for that matter, where do you get it done? Is there a tool that anyone can use to do it? I've been thinking about this same thing, just on aftermarket wheels.
[/quote]

You just need to get a fender roller. Basically it bolts onto the hub (wheel removed from the car of course). From there it has an arm with a wheel, and a handle to turn the whole thing. Put the wheel against the inside of the fender lip and roll it along to bend the metal up. It helps to go very slowly and heat up the metal gently to keep from cracking the paint.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
what is it your looking for? maximum stuffage without regard for price, mileage, warranty and anything else?
i doubt tire shops will warranty tires way oversized for the wheel, but who knows?

some winning mazda3 autoXers run 245s (i think Hoosiers A6's) on stock 17x6.5s
many run 225's or 235s as well.
note that only certain tire types/brands work this wide.

for daily driving? :dunno:

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
who rolled your rear? :p

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
perv!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
rolling fenders is easy.. just prep your stuff first and take your time... tigermack knows with a roller its easy.. with a bat.. thats a difference story.

but for tires.. u can slap a 225 on there.. not the greatest, but its do-able.

if u wanna go with the euro look, get some super soft tires.... t1r's and stretch some 245 on there.. =X

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
[quote author=John_in_the_LBC link=topic=136003.msg2930512#msg2930512 date=1234401571]
what is it your looking for? maximum stuffage without regard for price, mileage, warranty and anything else?
i doubt tire shops will warranty tires way oversized for the wheel, but who knows?

some winning mazda3 autoXers run 245s (i think Hoosiers A6's) on stock 17x6.5s
many run 225's or 235s as well.
note that only certain tire types/brands work this wide.

for daily driving? :dunno:

[/quote]

I am not racing or anything, just puttin' around. Although I don't like the narrow tires in the rear. Looks CHEEZE! :lol: I was looking into Falkens or Cooper Zeons at 235. The specs say a 235/50/17 would fit on the rim.. Thing is it would be about 1 inch taller and cause the speedo to be off about 2.5 mph. Would it cause rubbing??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts