What should i do?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a new set of RE-01R's on some SSR comps, which I've only run with twice, but so far they are proving to be pretty amazing. However, I am lazy, and since my events are pretty close to me I have been swapping them on in the comfort of my own driveway the night before, and I left them on yesterday since I didn't use the car.

Went to put my stockers back on tonight, and lo and behold, there is a FAR nail piercing all the way straight through the right-rear tire. I'm pretty mad... I've heard that it's not good to run patched tires, I think it's even illegal in track racing but not sure about autocross. Any thoughts/experience?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I've run on patched Azenis without issues, but the hole wasn't near the shoulder. I did run that tire in the rear though, as fronts take the most beating.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I wouldn't be as scared about running a patched tire in the rear either, but I like to rotate them F/R (they're directional) extremely often to keep wear as even as possible. Is there such a thing as like a heavy-duty patch maybe? And I'm definitely interested in what the rulebook has to say about the situation, I'm having trouble finding anything relevant.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I don't know about heavy-duty patch. I suggest rotating tires to get even wear, but whenever you are at the event, run the patched one in the rear.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I would go ahead and run the patch in the tire. I have also heard its not allowed. But you shouldn't get any crap with autox. unless your are a member and have a very competitive class, I doubt anybody will call you out on it either. But for sure at a track event I am pretty sure if its visible to tech....then will pull you. Kinda all depends on the seriousness of the tech inspector. Certain a track official has more to loose with their insurance.

But I would get in the habit of switching them out on the track. Not sure how your events are held, but most people are pretty stand up and shouldn't mess with your rims.

If you are that worried I have seen people even chain them to trees or just together. That certinly will make it hard for someone to steal, and very noticeable.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
sorry to hear that bro....at least u can patch yours....i had to replace my truck's tire cuz some metal cut open a big hole...have to replace it with a new one....$180 :(

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
If it is not near the sidewall, go ahead and have it patched. To my knowledge, there is nothing in the SCCA Solo rulebook about running on a patched tire. Especially if its a smaller, local event...very rarely will anyone give you much flak about it. If it IS close to the sidewall, chances are you shouldn't bother...it will end up leaking anyway.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions guys... it's not too near the sidewall, it's about 2/3 of the way towards the sidewall but still barely in the middle 1/3 of the tread I'd say. I'm gonna take it to get patched tomorrow and we'll seee how it lasts!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=105293.msg2143171#msg2143171 date=1205305632]
Thanks for all the suggestions guys... it's not too near the sidewall, it's about 2/3 of the way towards the sidewall but still barely in the middle 1/3 of the tread I'd say. I'm gonna take it to get patched tomorrow and we'll seee how it lasts!
[/quote]

Ex-tire store manager here -

A repair should be fine as long as it is done correctly (and the hole the nail made is not too big). It should be a combination repair done from the inside with a combination unit that has a patch with an attached plug to fill the hole. Filling the hole is important as you do not want water entering the hole and rusting the belts.

From an autocross standpoint you may want to keep that tire in the back to reduce the stresses, but really, a good repair should hold. The center of the tread area does not go through as much flexing as the outer shoulders.

Good luck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
ive actually plugged a couple of R-tires. The rear R6's we used at nationals in Gstock were plugged. It was on the outside tread block section about one inch from the sidewall. Before nationals, we ran it on the front for one event on the fresh plug.

·
Registered
331 Posts
[quote author=PZ link=topic=105293.msg2143252#msg2143252 date=1205320958]
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=105293.msg2143171#msg2143171 date=1205305632]
[/quote]

Ex-tire store manager here -

A repair should be fine as long as it is done correctly (and the whole the nail made is not too big). It should be a combination repair done from the inside with a combination unit that has a patch with an attached plug to fill the hole. Filling the hole is important as you do not want water entering the hole and rusting the belts.

From an autocross standpoint you may want to keep that tire in the back to reduce the stresses, but really, a good repair should hold. The center of the tread area does not go through as much flexing as the outer shoulders.

Good luck.
[/quote]

I agree about keeping them in the rear. Although I have run patched tires on all 4 corners with no problems.
Its all about how you value your piece of mind. :p For me nails come once in a blue moon. But if you're just a casual racer than don't sweat it about swapping out every race. If you decide to become SERIOUS hardcore autoxr than invest in a second set of rims, race jacks, and cross bar and change tires pre/post race.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[quote author=Hawaii3XTACY link=topic=105293.msg2179044#msg2179044 date=1206443350]
I agree about keeping them in the rear. Although I have run patched tires on all 4 corners with no problems.
Its all about how you value your piece of mind. :p For me nails come once in a blue moon. But if you're just a casual racer than don't sweat it about swapping out every race. If you decide to become SERIOUS hardcore autoxr than invest in a second set of rims, race jacks, and cross bar and change tires pre/post race.
[/quote]

I think i'm gonna just rotate it like normal, since our cars (especially with the toe-out up front) eat them up so much faster in the front, i don't want to end up with two near-new tires and two belted tires at the end of my first season running them. i think i'll hold up fine, i just wanted to see if anyone else had experience doing it... and it turns out that a lot of people do, which is awesome. the RE-01Rs are mounted on a set of autoX-only rims already-- i just like to swap them out in the comfort of my own driveway, so i don't have to lug my jack and everything to the event, which means i end up running them on the street for a couple miles on event days. so, i am pretty sure it got the nail on the way home from the event :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
do u want to plug it or patch it? how far is it from the side wall? if the hole the nail left isnt huge, a plug will do fine. i know many ppl who have ran plugged/patched tires with no problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts