Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is regarding my Comcast cable internet, located in San Francisco.

For some reason, whenever I get a land line call or someone picks up the phone, my internet dies for a brief moment and restarts itself. Why is that?

Surprisingly I can't google the problem, and if the answer/solution is not on the 1st page, then it's not there.

This happened with my old AT&T dsl too.

Any experts? Thanks!

·
Registered
31,080 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Sounds like you have a channel conflict.

Most wireless routers and older wireless telephones operated at near the same frequencies.

I'm just speculating that you're connected to a wireless router when this phenomenon happens.

Post up what wireless router you have and I can tell you how to get in to it and change the channel it operates on.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[quote author=10SBMSport link=topic=209272.msg4215128#msg4215128 date=1333943661]
Sounds like you have a channel conflict.

Most wireless routers and older wireless telephones operated at near the same frequencies.

I'm just speculating that you're connected to a wireless router when this phenomenon happens.

Post up what wireless router you have and I can tell you how to get in to it and change the channel it operates on.
[/quote]

I think it's called a "gateway"?

It was issued by Comcast, serves as the modem and a router. I'll see if I can find a model number somewhere...

·
Registered
720 Posts
Ahh yes, the all-in-one. They may have it restricted so that you cannot make changes.

If that is the case, a quick call to customer service center can get you pointed to a technician that can quickly log-in and change the channel remotely.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[quote author=10SBMSport link=topic=209272.msg4215135#msg4215135 date=1333944378]
Ahh yes, the all-in-one. They may have it restricted so that you cannot make changes.

If that is the case, a quick call to customer service center can get you pointed to a technician that can quickly log-in and change the channel remotely.
[/quote]

I was hoping you won't say that :morning:. Calling cable companies' customer service always seem to take up half of my day. That, and endless facepalms.

·
Registered
720 Posts
[quote author=Say Chi Sin Lo link=topic=209272.msg4215136#msg4215136 date=1333944648]I was hoping you won't say that :morning:. Calling cable companies' customer service always seem to take up half of my day. That, and endless facepalms.
[/quote]

I know it sucks. If you get the model number and brand, it might be able to be done without calling.

·
Registered
720 Posts
[quote author=Alec Trevelyan link=topic=209272.msg4215421#msg4215421 date=1333997101]
http://168.192.1.1

Admin
password

(or check the router/gateway's manual in case that says something different.
[/quote]

That's not always the case.

The typical address of a gateway / router is 192.168.1.1 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1

Give one of those a try. If by chance it's a motorola device, the user name is "admin" the password is "motorola"

For others, you can try "admin" and "password" or "admin" and "admin" for the username and password.

Another easy way to find out the management IP is by going to the network and sharing center (Vista / 7), click your wireless connection (under the globe) and then details. The IP address next to default gateway is what you're after.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts