Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me why I'm racin this eclipse down the highway, we're up to about 115mph, I try to Shift into 5th, :grr: I can't. What the Hell Yo!!! :awais:

Does anyone have a clue as to why? I suspect its a saftey feature within the ECU.

Kunlao~

·
Registered
11 Posts
[quote author=saluteTOme link=topic=66792.msg1146750#msg1146750 date=1168639723]
do the 3's come in 6 speeds? (besides the speed3)
[/quote]

No, unless you buy a speed 3, the regular 3s even the GT model are 5-speed manual.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
he could have a 4speed automatic and not know it....lol

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Yeah 4th gear runs out of room at about 120mph...so you can go all the way to the limiter and stay in 4th gear. Now of course if you want to cruise right at the limiter I highly suggest 5th gear. It will probably get you an extra 2-3mpg and less engine strain (so, you know, maybe 15mpg instead of 12-13mpg).
-Matt

PS this applies to the 5spd mtx.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Dude i had the same exact problem with my 06' when i first bought it. And I posted about it and no one had a clue as to what it was. It eventually just started working on my car. I mean whenever I was going like above 80 or shifting at high rpms it wouldnt go into 5th unless i slowed the car down or brought the rpms down. It eventually fixed itself after a few thousand miles. AS to what the problem was...I have no clue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 5spd on my 2005 3, 2.3L.

And I'm stayin in 4th at about 100 so I can beat the guy, duh. If i shift into 5th any sooner, it accels slower.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Yeah but cruising at 6400 RPM isn't the greatest thing in the world for the engine....thats why there is a 5th gear.

And if you need to go to 114 to beat another car....is it really racing? Point is to be 2-3 car lengths ahead by 100. Thats if i agreed with street racing or highway racing.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Did i ever say cruising at 6400 rpms was good for the engine? I was just saying i could get at top speed before hitting redline....

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
If you're racing you are not going to shift out of third until around 90, so yea you're going to be in 4th at 100+

I've shifted from 4th to 5th at well over 100 many times and never had a problem, I would try to recreate the problem and watch how you are shifting. Are you fully disengaging the clutch before trying to slam it into 5th? Are you pulling the shifter all the way to the right and shifting straight up into 5th gear or are you going and an angle and bouncing off the shift gate? The 5spd on the 3 does seem a tiny bit finicky when shifting quickly and requires very direct clean shifting habits or you may find yourself bouncing off a gear. (I think this is due to a cable linked shifting mechanism vs. a mehanical link. Smoother shifter, eliminates vibration feeding back from the tranny, but seems to sacrifice some of the capacity for manhandling it during quick shifting) :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
This happened to me too plenty of times. I discovered this problem on a track day and I was really disappointed. I think it is just a safety mechanism but whatever it is, it's really lame.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Don't cruise at 6400 RPM . This is bad for the engine.
Also bad for your wallet when you get clocked by the cops :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :shock:

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
[quote author=kspec link=topic=66792.msg1152963#msg1152963 date=1168988707]
you can go 100 in 4th gear.

i think you can go close to 100 in 3rd?
[/quote]

if i'm pushing it, i can hit 95 in 3rd. thats like riiiiiiight before redline. if i'm really pushing it i shift at right around 7k. redline is 7500...but the HP is maxed out by the time i shift anyways.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
[quote author=kunlao link=topic=66792.msg1152330#msg1152330 date=1168967822]
I have a 5spd on my 2005 3, 2.3L.

And I'm stayin in 4th at about 100 so I can beat the guy, duh. If i shift into 5th any sooner, it accels slower.
[/quote]

I can tell you... I don't have that problem. It's not the "ECU" doing anything... it sounds like you may have a problem with your synchros.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts