Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what cars the MS3 was built to compete against and who might it compete against with a few mods.

Cars to built to compete with:
Chevy Cobalt SS

Volkswagen GTI

Honda Civic SI

Acura RSX

Subaru WRX

Dodge Neon SRT-4

Cars that it might be able to compete against:

Subaru WRX STI

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo

Honda S2000

Nissan 350Z

Infinite G35

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
meh...for me it was competing against a MZ3, an NC Miata, an FMII NB/NA Miata, and maybe a few other cars. The STI / Evo / WRX / GTI / RSX are not even close for me because IMHO they are fugly. even if I liked their styling, the boy racer stereotype that accompanies those cars is not something I want. The MS3 is perfect, its a grocery getter in disguise.

I don't like the way the Civic SI drives, The 350z is way too expensive for how little you get, and the exhaust note sounds like a toy, same with the G35. And S2000? not even in the same class, plus WHERE IS THE TORQUE!?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I did look at the GTI quite a bit.. I thought about the Cobalt SS and even the G6 GTP as I get the GM family pricing..

It was Mazda's intention to compete against the GTI as it was used as the benchmark. (Which they surpassed :D )

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
S2000 doesn't have enough torque and G35 is too heavy. All others have been discussed to death elsewhere.

G

·
...and I would expect a G35 to be heavier than a boosted 4-cylinder pocket hatch. For $35K, it better be. I'd say it holds its own pretty well considering it only falls 1 point behind a 330i in handling tests. It's not in the same class anyway so I don't even know why it's on this list.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
[quote author=msp35 link=topic=68123.msg1174416#msg1174416 date=1170086736]
What's with the g35 bashing?
It's one damn sexy car, and has a badass exhaust note.
[/quote]
Opinions are like assholes...everyones got one :p

[quote author=GimmeA3s link=topic=68123.msg1174426#msg1174426 date=1170086986]
...and I would expect a G35 to be heavier than a boosted 4-cylinder pocket hatch. For $35K, it better be. I'd say it holds its own pretty well considering it only falls 1 point behind a 330i in handling tests. It's not in the same class anyway so I don't even know why it's on this list.
[/quote]

Yeah I'm not quite sure why people continue to compare cars completely in different classes to that of the speed 3... its like they have car envy, and wished they could buy the other car instead...

Meh... the MS3 is an amazing car for its money. in MY opinion its the best (looking, performance, price, insurance, etc) out of all the alternatives, thus, why I bought one.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
I'm not bashing :crazy:, just said it was heavy. Look at it's curb weight compared to the 350Z. It is a heavy car, so is the MS3 for it's size. Again, this is not bashing just a point, weight counts.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
[quote author=TrueRedSpeed link=topic=68123.msg1174395#msg1174395 date=1170086066]
S2000 doesn't have enough torque and G35 is too heavy. All others have been discussed to death elsewhere.
[/quote]

it may be heavy but it still scatters to 60 faster than the MS3. it also sounds good doing it as another member noted. and the coupe is one of the best designed cars on the road..

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
4(5) door wagons aren't designed to compete against a 350z, S2000 or G35 coupe.... sombody willing to pay 30k for a rwd roadster doesn't at the last minute give into a fwd hathback. the ms3 wasn't designed to compete against the neon srt4 since the srt was announced as discontinued before we ever heard about the ms3 imo either, and again don't start the sti/evo debate. value sure, performance no way

real people who admire the performance of rwd sports cars yet have to move a family and or their stuff around and don't want to pay 30k for it buy the ms3 and are happy they did

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
[quote author=Unoriginalusername link=topic=68123.msg1175222#msg1175222 date=1170110706]
4(5) door wagons aren't designed to compete against a 350z, S2000 or G35 coupe.... sombody willing to pay 30k for a rwd roadster doesn't at the last minute give into a fwd hathback. the ms3 wasn't designed to compete against the neon srt4 since the srt was announced as discontinued before we ever heard about the ms3 imo either, and again don't start the sti/evo debate. value sure, performance no way

real people who admire the performance of rwd sports cars yet have to move a family and or their stuff around and don't want to pay 30k for it buy the ms3 and are happy they did
[/quote]

I was looking at 30,000 roadsters and ended up with a MS3... I'm 22. Can afford both. But the MS3 is a better choice for me because I like having something practical i can throw things in the back. Can't do that in a roadster. I'm weird though :)

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
[quote author=Mellman link=topic=68123.msg1175308#msg1175308 date=1170113566]
I was looking at 30,000 roadsters and ended up with a MS3... I'm 22. Can afford both.
[/quote]

I am 21 and am far from saying that so quoting from Pursuit for Happiness, "What do you do and how do you do it?"
I am guessing it's not parents

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
[quote author=Unoriginalusername link=topic=68123.msg1175222#msg1175222 date=1170110706]

[/quote]

That more or less sums up my thoughts, with Mellman's side note as noted. But since we were having this discussion I though I'd put in my thoughts on those cars.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
[quote author=kyasa link=topic=68123.msg1175393#msg1175393 date=1170117595]
[quote author=Mellman link=topic=68123.msg1175308#msg1175308 date=1170113566]
I was looking at 30,000 roadsters and ended up with a MS3... I'm 22. Can afford both.
[/quote]

I am 21 and am far from saying that so quoting from Pursuit for Happiness, "What do you do and how do you do it?"
I am guessing it's not parents
[/quote]

Always worked in the IT field even in high school, got my security clearance when I was a freshman in college...landed a great job out of college. In this area it is all about who you know, and I knew a lot of people from my experience through school.

I said my age more to say that not all 22 year olds would take a roadster over the MS3, I personally don't like when people go around touting they have money - I certainly am not made of money, and I hope I did not come across like that :(

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
Matts IMO whatever, countless threads on all these cars have been made, G35 is a new one but it is pretty much a 350z with better interior.

MS3 > Cobalt SS (no question... beat it nerd)
MS3 > GTI ( GTI might have better finish but price/performance/reliability the GTI loses)
MS3 > RSX (no brainer really....)
MS3 >=< WRX ( Suby has the aftermarket even though tuning for MS3 is comeing out rapidly and WRX records times 0.1 better then MS3; but fit/finish and creature comforts the MS3 has the win there)
MS3 < SRT-4 (performance/aftermarket wise only, not creature comfort wise MS3 wins there)

Different Class all $30K +++++++++
G35 & 350z (same motor 5hp different tune, the new "2008 G" is something to watch out for...)
s2000 (2 seater, 9k redline, little TQ, RWD)
EVO & STI (Would really like to see a tuned MS3 with Xede/Cobb/CPE Tune and CAI/Exhaust and it would still be thousands less then either one, and also STI and EVO owners complain about comfort, because they suck)

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
ms3 < srt-4 ?
only due to better aftermarket, any other comparison I cant see the srt-4 winning.
stock vs stock the ms3 is tuned way better for track duties. 1/4 mile in stock form its dang close, but the lesser weight of the neon is what gives it the slight advantage.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
[quote author=CosmicBlueMS3 link=topic=68123.msg1175619#msg1175619 date=1170124226]
ms3 < srt-4 ?
only due to better aftermarket, any other comparison I cant see the srt-4 winning.
stock vs stock the ms3 is tuned way better for track duties. 1/4 mile in stock form its dang close, but the lesser weight of the neon is what gives it the slight advantage.
[/quote]

Yeah it was hard to do but i new the lovers would be in saying stage 28 this and stage 14 that
that is why i said comfort/creature comforts MS3 wins, the srt4 pretty much won the aftermarket only category. I didnt know track times really for MS3vsNeon
Maybe a revise is intact... MS3 > Neon :lol:

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
[quote author=Mellman link=topic=68123.msg1175542#msg1175542 date=1170122161]
I said my age more to say that not all 22 year olds would take a roadster over the MS3, I personally don't like when people go around touting they have money - I certainly am not made of money, and I hope I did not come across like that :(
[/quote]
Not even... I just have respect for someone basically my age that has already figured out how to work and make a good living. I just quit working @ Best Buy about two months ago and can't wait to get a little more education and get out of the go-no-where workforce. Props to you my friend. Soon as I can figure that out I too will be buying a mazdaspeed3, if they are still in production that is

1 - 20 of 145 Posts