Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
I've been bowling since I was 4 years old.

Currently throw a fingertip 15 pound Brunswick Radical Inferno with severe hook.
I had it drilled with alot of positive weight for this reason.
Also have a 15 pound AMF XS - White spare ball, also has a good hook.
Nice 2 ball bag with roller and handle.
I'm left handed BTW

I avg anywhere from 190 to 230 a game.
Have not been in over 6 months though.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I bowl with a finger-tip drilled 15lb. Brunswick Twisted Fury Solid with a rough buff finish. A lot of the lanes here are heavily oiled, so I need as much traction and hook as possible. My spare ball is just a standard 15lb. Jeff Gordon Viz-A-Ball.

I also use a Brunswick Powerkoil XF, which has dramatically improved my game by at least 40 pins. Not to mention, it really helps with the wrist fatigue. (http://www.bowlingball.com/brunswick-powerkoil-xf-right-handed-bowling-accessory.html)

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[quote author=UnderEstimated link=topic=169858.msg3597183#msg3597183 date=1270221397]
I bowl with a finger-tip drilled 15lb. Brunswick Twisted Fury Solid with a rough buff finish. A lot of the lanes here are heavily oiled, so I need as much traction and hook as possible. My spare ball is just a standard 15lb. Jeff Gordon Viz-A-Ball.

I also use a Brunswick Powerkoil XF, which has dramatically improved my game by at least 40 pins. Not to mention, it really helps with the wrist fatigue. (http://www.bowlingball.com/brunswick-powerkoil-xf-right-handed-bowling-accessory.html)
[/quote]

mine is a finger tip as well but i have never been able to use a wrist brace. I do use a textured glove those. I have found that i def get a lot more revs out of my throw with the gove. if the lanes are burnt out i will take the glove off and get a few less revs on it so i do not get as much back end break. Most of the lanes around here run a normal house shot with med to med heavy oil so the pearl balls seam to work well. some of the guys that crank the ball use a solid but i would say i am a tweener so the pearl seems to work well.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Quick tip for those of you wanting more hook and want to not wear yourself out. It's not all about power.

TIP - During your approach and backswing, let your arm swing naturally, do not force the ball back and power it forward. Instead let your arm drop and swing without resistance, then as your about to release the ball that is when you turn your wrist and follow through, if you do this right, your ball will hook. Really no need to crank and overpower.

Something I learned from the pros and instructors, works beautifully.
Doing this allows you to focus more on your mark and getting the pin action.

·
Banned
13,838 Posts
I havent gone in a while, since I was busy and poor last summer, and I havent really found anyone in toronto yet that wants to go. It's kind of expensive too, but a place not too far has like $9 for 9pm-12pm on sundays. I have a 14lb ebonite cranker.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
[quote author=TEKWATCH link=topic=169858.msg3597427#msg3597427 date=1270230282]
Quick tip for those of you wanting more hook and want to not wear yourself out. It's not all about power.

TIP - During your approach and backswing, let your arm swing naturally, do not force the ball back and power it forward. Instead let your arm drop and swing without resistance, then as your about to release the ball that is when you turn your wrist and follow through, if you do this right, your ball will hook. Really no need to crank and overpower.

[/quote]

And I'm sure several already know this, but it doesn't hurt to mention it again... I see a lot of people constantly working on increasing their revs for more hook. Instead, try working on your speed. If the ball hooks too early, throw it a little faster with more power. If it's hooking late, then decrease your power.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[quote author=UnderEstimated link=topic=169858.msg3597501#msg3597501 date=1270234133]
[quote author=TEKWATCH link=topic=169858.msg3597427#msg3597427 date=1270230282]

[/quote]

And I'm sure several already know this, but it doesn't hurt to mention it again... I see a lot of people constantly working on increasing their revs for more hook. Instead, try working on your speed. If the ball hooks too early, throw it a little faster with more power. If it's hooking late, then decrease your power.
[/quote]

yep that is what i have had to do. I had to slow my throw down from 18 mph to about 14 to 15. now the ball hooks right into the pocket everytime (well as long as i drop it right :lol: ) i know about it being expensive there are places around here that charge $5 per game to bowl on the weekends. That is why i found the cheap places. Thrusday nights at the little 12 lane alley i go to is 0.50 a game from 3 in the afternoon until 8 at night but as long as you start before 8 you can go all night until they close at 10 for .50 a game. i threw 6 games last night with a 270 high and a 110 low (that was the frist game and we were messing around most of it) but i avg about a 190 to 200 most of the time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just bought a Storm Virtual Energy to replace my Columbia Wicked
and a Colubia Freeze to replace my Columbia Spirit.

I used the Wicked 90% of the time. Also have an old Columbia Icon 300 which I use
when lanes are really tight. I don't use it too much around here. I did just use it in the
Green Mountain Open in Rutland VT though.

So far I love the VE. I can see where I might want to replace the Icon 300 with a Virtual Gravity.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[quote author=GTPpilot link=topic=169858.msg3598147#msg3598147 date=1270300387]
I just bought a Storm Virtual Energy to replace my Columbia Wicked
and a Colubia Freeze to replace my Columbia Spirit.

I used the Wicked 90% of the time. Also have an old Columbia Icon 300 which I use
when lanes are really tight. I don't use it too much around here. I did just use it in the
Green Mountain Open in Rutland VT though.

So far I love the VE. I can see where I might want to replace the Icon 300 with a Virtual Gravity.
[/quote]

ya i have been looking at the VG as well. That looks to be a great ball. Strom seems to have about the best line out there. They have stuff for beginners or advanced. And in all price ranges. They also just released a new Tropical Heat ball that is set to sell on the 28th of this month. The black and silver with the hybrid reactive cover stock looks nice. that would def be a good ball for around here were the lanes are normally oiled on the light side.

http://www.stormbowling.com/products/balls/black-silver

·
theykickedmeoffnasioc
15,460 Posts
[quote author=TEKWATCH link=topic=169858.msg3597157#msg3597157 date=1270220081]
I've been bowling since I was 4 years old.

Currently throw a fingertip 15 pound Brunswick Radical Inferno with severe hook.
I had it drilled with alot of positive weight for this reason.
Also have a 15 pound AMF XS - White spare ball, also has a good hook.
Nice 2 ball bag with roller and handle.
I'm left handed BTW

I avg anywhere from 190 to 230 a game.
Have not been in over 6 months though.
[/quote]

i dont know why im in this thread, but being the college age kid i am i found this amusing

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol ya sometimes it is good to just read things just for the fun of it. i do that is these forums all the time. on a side note i went out last night and shot my first ever 700 series with my high score in there shot a 198, 280, 226 for a 704 series. I was happy but sad at the same time i was only 2 pins away from a 300 in that 280 game. i had an 8 spare in the 2nd and then every other frame was a strike.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I've bowled since I was 6, and currently have four different balls:

15lb MoRich NSane LevRG
15.5lb Roto-grip Cell
16lb Roto-grip Neptune
16lb Colombia White Dot plastic

My average at the moment is 210, but I only bowl once a week right now. I had some really bad problems with my left leg two years ago, to the point where I could hardly stand up while I was bowling (I think it was either a torn muscle or a stress fracture in my upper leg, never got it figured out though) and I wanted to take it easy until my leg was better. My high average for a season was 218 back when I was bowling 5 nights a week, and my high game is 300 twice, and high series is 779. My game would be classified as a tweener style.

One thing about adjustments that you guys have to think about is not to try and change your ball speed so much as it can really throw off your approach timing if you aren't careful. Instead try making some more direct adjustments to your target or hand position at release, but keep the same tempo on your approach. If you're ball is hooking too much, move your feet and target left (and vice-versa if its not hooking enough). Rule of thumb with changing your target is to see how many boards your ball is over/under hooking and move your feet that many boards and your target half of that. To change your hand position, either cup the ball a little more or a little less; more cup will produce more revs and more hook, less cup will mean fewer revs and less hook.

As Tek said, keeping a free and loose armswing is key, and in fact it is the single most important aspect of the game to incorporate. A free armswing allows you to be more accurate, your timing will be much more consistent and you'll get much more consistent ball reaction with every shot. All of this will allow you to see what adjustments you need to make much more clearly and quickly.

There's so much more that goes into it, but its far too much to put on a single forum post lol.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey everyone, how's it going?

Looks like we have a few high averages and some regular bowlers... I have been bowling since i was 3 and still continue to bowl. My father was the main influence to get me started bowling because he has been working for Brunswick since he was 16. After 28yrs of working for them he retired. Well enough about him lol

I am 18yrs old and bowl 2 nights a week and coach a youth league 1 night a week. I have 6 balls but only use my 15lb MoRich Nsane Lev RG and my 15lb Brunswick T Zone spare ball. I carry about a 217 average and bowl in local tournaments.

I recently placed 20 in our Cities tournament and will be going to Pocomoke City, MD for our states tournament May 22nd and 23rd.

I had plans to go to Reno, Nevada for Nationals Tournament. But... after recently buying my Mazda3, I have been keeping a tight count on my Money and hopefully plan to go next year.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK i know i am bring this post back from the dead but figured i would post up a video of me throwing my new ball. Also a video of my son with his Storm Tropical Heat. He is 13 and i am just starting to teach him to throw a finger tip ball. He is starting to get some nice movement out of the ball.

2Fast Video.wmv

Storm Bowling Tropical Heat

1 - 16 of 16 Posts