Mazda3 Forums banner

Moonroof?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who didnt get the moonroof, could u please tell me the reason of not getting it, other than money issues. Advantages and Disadvantage would be nice :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I got the moonroof... more so because i wanted the in-dash 6cd changer... Its nice, tilts and slides back pretty fast and its not loud... no leaking issues, but then again, i've only washed my car twice since getting it... No real use for it now, but in the summer, i'm sure I'll be happy that i got it...

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Because I didn't like the fact that it had to be coupled with another option (6-disc changer). I wanted to get only the options that I thought were important, ABS. I got the sports package too, just because I couldn't find one with just ABS.

Considering if you finance a car, the more options you get, the more money you pay for them (not just what it says on the invoice).

I took that into account so after financing and out the door cost, my car is still under 19k.

When I priced it with sunroof/6disc it was a $970+ option after financing.

Maybe some don't look at it like that, but I did.

On a side note, does the sunroof take away any head room in the car?
My friend is 6'5" and was wondering about that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if anything, ur friend can open the sunroof and stick his head out :) Dats the only answer I know about that question.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
For sure the moonroof robs at least 1" of headroom..

Still I'm 6'6" and the moonroof leaves *barely* enough headroom for me.

I would have preferred to get one with no moonroof, but no dealer within 3 states had a car with the exact options I wanted so the moonroof was my "compromise"

·
Registered
127 Posts
I got the moonroof. It wasn't a key feature for me, but was nice, and I figured I'd mind as well splurge a bit. In the end it costs more, but doesn't really effect my monthly payments too much.

As for headroom, there's roughly 1 inch lost (in the front seats) with the moonroof installed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I really like having sunroofs in my cars, but I didn't get it this time around. I refuse to buy packages that include stuff I don't want. Why on earth would Mazda assume that if you want a sunroof, you would automatically want an in-dash changer? I don't see the relation - logically one has nothing to do with the other. I can see the ABS/side airbag package, because they are both safety features. Anyway, a lot of manufacturers do stuff like this and it really pisses me off. It's just a ploy to charge the consumer more money for stuff they don't really want. When we bought my wife's previous car, we got a sunroof and in dash changer, but that was because we wanted those features - they were both separate options.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I didn't get a moonroof for a few reasons, one being cost. The most important reason for me not getting a moonroof was that it just makes for one more thing to break as the car gets older. I figure at some point it would start to leak or, god forbid, it would crack. And you thought windshields were expensive to replace?! Also, as you can see by my location, I live in hell and over here the sun is not our friend and i would have about 2 months of useable time for the moonroof. Finally, another purely cosmetic reason is that it's too small! Kinda looks funky. Just my opinion of course and maybe i'm being too paranoid about things going wrong... but whatever. :)

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I got a sunroof b/c the car I bought had one in it. I wasn't intending on buying a car with a sunroof, it's just how it happened. I could never go without one again though. They just make the car seem so much lighter, and they help cool the car down when it's hot.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Be glad that the only option you have to buy on a 3S with a moonroof is the 6-CD changer. If you check out what Mazda did with the 6, they require around $2500 in options before adding in a moonroof for another $700.

My Mazda dealer told me that so many 6 would-be purchasers complained that they had to set up a plan with a local aftermarket sunroof installer and included the cost into the financing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
odie said:
right, i'm sure that's what they told Yao

any others know?
Nobody told me that his head would rub... it DID rub when we were test driving, with his seat in the position that was comfortable.

I'm sure taller people who like their seat tilted way back have no problems.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I didn't get one because I wouldn't use it. I wouldn't be looking straight up at the sky very often from within my car. Plus, it'd be just another thing that could possibly break and cost me $$ to fix.

·
Registered
202 Posts
On a side note, does the sunroof take away any head room in the car?
My friend is 6'5" and was wondering about that.

The answer should be no.
Actually, the answer is yes.

from the mazda spec sheet
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/mazda3/swf/mz3_features.pdf
Headroom, front/rear (inches)
for the s
w/o moonroof 39.1 / 38.4
w/ moonroof 38.2 / 38.3

for the i
w/o moonroof 39.1 / 37.4
w/ moonroof 38.1 / 37.0

so you lose 0.9 inches. too negligible to even be a reason.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I didn't get the moonroof. I'm 6'4" and my head rubs on it (mostly the border betweek the roof and the glass part) big time. I like to sit straight in a car, it's better for my back, so no moonroof for me.

The moonroof takes at least 1.5 inches in headroom. At least, that's what it feels like for my poor head...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cool cool. I didnt get one either since I'd figured in the future something might happen to it and it'll cost extra to fix. I have 3 friends with real old cars and all 3 of them have leaking problem. =/ but i do agree its nice once in a while. but as we all know this car rocks either w/ or w/out one. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
I didn't get the moonroof for three reasons:

- money.
- I figure that a moonroof is redundant in a car with A/C.
- this car is my main family vehicle, and there are going to be two children under the age of 3 in the back seat at most times. Turbulent air isn't the best for babies.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts