Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2010 2.5s 6-speed with about 97k on the clock. The car's been mostly flawless, but recently, I've notice a whirring/whining sound from the front of the car that increases steadily with speed. Sounds a little like gear noise, but doesn't have that grindy tone that usually accompanies gear noise. More like a louder, higher pitch road noise. It's not really noticeable until about 60mph, and gets louder with speed, but goes away if I remove the load from the driveline by lifting the throttle or disengaging the clutch. Touch the gas, and it's back again, but there's no noise on deceleration. The noise may have been developing over time, but I just noticed it yesterday. We did have a few really cold days a few days ago, and I'm wondering if that had anything to do with it, but it's not that cold anymore and the noise is still there. You can really only hear it through the body (ie. windows up, no radio) which leads me to believe it's something internal to the powertrain. I'm thinking transmission and hoping for CV axles, though it's not the type of noise typically associated with failing CVs. I haven't had a chance to look at anything yet, but I plan to change the gear oil and check the CV boots tomorrow. Anybody seen or heard of this before? The fact that it only happens at speed and under load is going to make this one difficult to track down, I'm afraid. I travel a lot for work, so it's got me worried!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I couldn't see it before because of the recent wet weather, but the trans seems to be leaking from the input shaft seal. I think maybe it froze to the input shaft in last week's -11 weather wile it was sitting in an airport long-term parking lot. Sadly, I topped it off with about a quart of Lucas 75-w90 and the noise is still there. It's a bit quieter, but the damage has been done, so it looks like a new transmission is in my future.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts