Mazda3 Forums banner

Which Mod should I do on my suspension?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. :D

Pick one, and give a logical, factual reason, not "it's better, cause it is" kind of stuff. I'm having trouble deciding what to do first to my suspension, And I figured why not ask the other 3 owners, so here we are...

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
+1 i dont have anything but when i get money for suspension i will be getting springs first. everyone says it makes the biggest difference and its a good starting point to see what you want to add to your set up. if you go all out first and then get springs or coils, it may make your set up too stiff for what you wanted, then you would be up a creek without a paddle... just my .02 :)

·
Registered
887 Posts
From what I have read and seen with other members springs would be the most gain although I would do dampers/shocks at the same time. The strut tower brace would probably do the least for you. Here is how I would rank it, not a professional opinion though!:

1. Racing Beat Springs
2. Rear Sway Bar
3. GTSpec 4-point Ladder Brace
4. Front Sway Bar
5. Vibrant Strut Tower Brace

Voted Springs.... :p

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
rear sway first, defiantly the best mod for the money, plus its easy to install. then springs, dampers, and front sway, braces come last.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
i voted rear sway bar.....but i would only go with springs if you can get the Konis too.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
struts aren't that important to me since I can't find ones that are dampening force adjustable (by use of a knob) for the front as well as the rear, such as the KYB's that you can get for the 2000+ eclipce's. But I'm sure I'll get some eventually, because well, the stock ones won't last forever.

The koni's are good, but only the front's are adjustable, at least without removing the suspention. The rears can be adjusted but you have to remove them. So that's one of those things it's like you better know what you plan on doing with the car for at least six months at a time, cause once a week or even once a month is too often to be pulling off the back shocks just to adjust them. Just my opinion on that one. :wink:

Anyways, this is good stuff. I think I'm gonna let this go until the 23rd and which ever one is the highest, I'm gonna buy...I'm getting excited already. :D :D

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
well the only reason i say get shocks with springs is that alot of people end up blowing out the shocks with the springs....just an FYI.

I believe my front shocks are gone but i am just saving to get coilovers

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I could see blowing shocks when you lower a car, but racing beat springs are not drop springs they're stiffer springs, they are only lower by about a half an inch. But I see your point.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
[quote author=BlackWidow04 link=topic=69727.msg1213326#msg1213326 date=1171684262]
I could see blowing shocks when you lower a car, but racing beat springs are not drop springs they're stiffer springs, they are only lower by about a half an inch. But I see your point.
[/quote]

eibach prokit for a year now and no blown struts. i say springs just cuz they add to sex appeal too.[quote author=BlackWidow04 link=topic=69727.msg1213268#msg1213268 date=1171681624]
struts aren't that important to me since I can't find ones that are dampening force adjustable (by use of a knob) for the front as well as the rear, such as the KYB's that you can get for the 2000+ eclipce's. But I'm sure I'll get some eventually, because well, the stock ones won't last forever.

The koni's are good, but only the front's are adjustable, at least without removing the suspention. The rears can be adjusted but you have to remove them. So that's one of those things it's like you better know what you plan on doing with the car for at least six months at a time, cause once a week or even once a month is too often to be pulling off the back shocks just to adjust them. Just my opinion on that one. :wink:

Anyways, this is good stuff. I think I'm gonna let this go until the 23rd and which ever one is the highest, I'm gonna buy...I'm getting excited already. :D :D
[/quote]

and i agree that its a bitch to adjust the koni's, but what do you use your car for? any track or auto-x? and from my understanding, even the softest koni setting is still pretty firm. and dont count on there ever being rear struts that are knob adjustable, as there is no place to put the knob on the top of the strut for the rears.

the rear sway bar is an excellent upgrade as well!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I know there won't be any for the rear that are knob adjustable, what i'll end up doing is buying the koni's setting the back on the second from firmest setting and then just adjust the fronts as needed, but right now I've got a little bit left over on the budget after I got my Rims and tires, so I figured why not start on my suspension with something small (and under $200:wink:). :D

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
rear sway bar would give you the most performance gain for the buck. Springs would help also as well as make the car look better, though.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well I started with the Coilovers. I got a nice drop and (to me) greater cornering ability. I recently read the FarNorth piece and agree with all the info as it might pertain to racing. In retropsec I might have leaned more towards Koni if I had read the article first. I got Tein basics. Why, because after 15+ years of performance bikes and suspension setup (not exactly the same but very similar in setup theory) I knew once I got my setup I would probably never adjust again. I'm not racing, so track setup isn't a concern as it applies to each track and circumstance. I now realize there are other factors to consider and honestly didn't expect that the shocks were so different even within each brand/model. With that said I am still elated with the Teins. For the performance level of the car and that at which I drive I have no regrets. I recently added Perrelli PZero Neros (215/45/17) and Koni wheels and am pretty happy with the choices and the increase in performance. In my mind it's not a hugh gain though, but noticable, predictable and seemingly well balanced. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm trying to stay away from coil-overs and drop spring, As I'm not trying to lower the car at all. I want it to just glide around high speed corners like nothing just happened. Also to maitain stockish apperance as not to draw attention to myself (since I do that pretty well already without having a "tuner" looking car.) But it looks like the RB rear sway bar is going to be thei frist of many suspension purchases....

·
Registered
143 Posts
I know what you mean. One of my objectives was to attempt to keep the car as stock looking as possible. Sort of slipping under the radar type thing. It's good to know there are viable combinations of aftermarket parts that can achieve similar results. Let us know how your upgrades work out.

·
Registered
223 Posts
you may want to check and make sure the clunking noise has been resolved w/ the RB sway bar. i read recently it hadn't been...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts