Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm upgrading my cd player and i want to use the steering wheel buttons on my after market cd player. I've done about 10 installs before so i know what im doing but they were all older cars and none of them had steering wheel controls. I found this site: http://www.pac-audio.com/products/productsCatagory.asp?mmSearch=Steering Wheel Interface
There's like 5 different adapters that all say they do basically the same shit. I'm not too picky about which cd players they are compatible with i have no problem with alpine/ eclipse. so other than which cd players they support what the hell are the differences in these things? i just want the cheapest one that will get the job done.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
There are two things that need to match when you get a PAC SWI:

1. The SWI you buy is compatible with the brand of HU you plan on installing.
2. The HU you plan on installing has a remote input jack.

If you wanna be lazy, buy the infrared version of the SWI, it will work with any brand HU that has an IR remote control.

Keep in mind, though, that in general the performance from an SWI is pretty poor. There's a noticeable lag between pressing the steering wheel button and getting a response, and also you often have to press the buttons harder. Don't install an SWI thinking it will be just like the factory controls.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Lots of people on the board have been disappointed with the performance problems and just ended up removing them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts