Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been autocrossing my 2006 3i sport for two years on summer tires and I'm at the limit of what the tire is capable of. I want to switch to an r-compound that will last at least the entirety of one season (about 20 races). As far as I've been able to figure out, the most bang for the buck will either be from the Kumho Ecsta V710 or from the Hankook Z214. Any ideas of which would be best?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hoosier A6s.

That being said, I have a set of 4 barely-used Kumho Ecsta V710s (second best, imo, and last longer) 225/45/17s for $300 shipped anywhere in the country for sale, if you want to go that route.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to stay with a 15" rim, but I would kill to get them at that price if I could. I've researched the A6 and while everyone says that they have the most stick, I also need to balance that with the fact that I am poor and need to have them last as long as possible.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
[quote author=tigermack link=topic=135406.msg2915070#msg2915070 date=1233867071]
I was told that without enough camber (at least -3), the A6 does not last very long.
[/quote]

Only if you over drive the car. I have at least 40 runs on my A6's and can see getting into the 80 run range if I take care of them Granted, they will probably be heat cycled out by then, but I'll use them until they cord. If you average 6 runs per event, that's about a season (13 events)

A lot of it also depends on the surface. Concrete will tend to chew up tires faster than asphalt. Run on sealed asphalt and you might never wear the tires out.

If the OP is running 15's then a 225/50R15 would be a good size. Slightly shorter than stock and will fit on a 6" rim.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
[quote author=tigermack link=topic=135406.msg2915135#msg2915135 date=1233868113]
Isn't stock wheel 6.5", though?
[/quote]

15x6 on the base i model.

·
Registered
89 Posts
[quote author=PZ link=topic=135406.msg2915127#msg2915127 date=1233868021]
[quote author=tigermack link=topic=135406.msg2915070#msg2915070 date=1233867071]
I was told that without enough camber (at least -3), the A6 does not last very long.
[/quote]

Only if you over drive the car. I have at least 40 runs on my A6's and can see getting into the 80 run range if I take care of them Granted, they will probably be heat cycled out by then, but I'll use them until they cord. If you average 6 runs per event, that's about a season (13 events)

A lot of it also depends on the surface. Concrete will tend to chew up tires faster than asphalt. Run on sealed asphalt and you might never wear the tires out.

If the OP is running 15's then a 225/50R15 would be a good size. Slightly shorter than stock and will fit on a 6" rim.

[/quote]
I must be over-driving then. We only get 4 runs per event and my A6's lasted 5 events. Corded mostly around the edges. We run on gravely asphalt. I'll never by Hoosiers again. The V710's last me a minimum 9 events.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Jesus christ! You only got 20 runs out of A6's before they corded? I know they're not supposed to last forever, but that's pretty crazy...

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
definition of you gotta pay to play :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
chefgoot - do you have two drivers in the car? (You said 'we')

I am assuming that you flipped them on the rim?

Gravelly asphalt sounds pretty abrasive. Maybe that makes a difference? 9 events on 710s sounds like some pretty fast wear as well.

The other biggie is you are runnig in DS while I am in HS. Certainly 100 less HP going to the front wheels on basically the same width tire is going to make a difference.

I guess my point was that the OP shouldn't dismiss Hoosiers. Even the R6 (which would last longer than the A6) is pretty competitive with the Hankook and Kumho.

·
Registered
89 Posts
[quote author=PZ link=topic=135406.msg2916856#msg2916856 date=1233925553]
chefgoot - do you have two drivers in the car? (You said 'we')

I am assuming that you flipped them on the rim?

Gravelly asphalt sounds pretty abrasive. Maybe that makes a difference? 9 events on 710s sounds like some pretty fast wear as well.

The other biggie is you are runnig in DS while I am in HS. Certainly 100 less HP going to the front wheels on basically the same width tire is going to make a difference.

I guess my point was that the OP shouldn't dismiss Hoosiers. Even the R6 (which would last longer than the A6) is pretty competitive with the Hankook and Kumho.
[/quote]
I didn't bother flipping them. I was disgusted with how little they were lasting. It wouldn't have been worth my time and money to flip them for an extra event. I've never had to flip the Kumho's.

I went back and tallied and it was a total of 29 runs (only had a co-driver at one event), and that was flipping the front ones to the back every event. You know the back ones don't get much wear. Granted only 2 had started to cord, the other 2 could have gone another event at most.

Had a new set of Kumho's in the back this time around (trying to keep them new for the Houston National Tour) and after my 4 runs they still had the white ink line (factory markings) around the middle of the patch. Of course it helps that the course was really wet.

I know a lot of people swear by the Hoosiers, they're just not for me. In my opinion the only time they're really faster than the Kumhos are when they're brand new. I'd venture to say that a new set of Kumho's is just as fast as a set of A6's with 5 runs.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm tempted to try the Hoosiers, but I really like the Kumhos, too. They wear well, they aren't as sensitive (to things like pressures, camber, overdriving) and if you look at the number of people that ran them at nats and the results, they are "fast enough".

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Last year I ran the A6 245 up front and I got 3 events per front set without a flip and they made it a 4th event if you flipped em. I think I finished the season on my 4th or 5th front set which are currently ouside in a pile of snow and ice. thats how to keep em fresh right? I ran the 225's on the rear and they lasted the entire season, in addition to ass draggin duty they saw quite a few tour practice runs and pro practice starts and they still have meat left. Its amazing how much better the 225's wear than the 245's up front. Unfortunately, I think the 245 is faster.

This year hoosier has given me new hope. the new 255/35/18 will be wider and .9" shorter than the 245/40 I was running last year. The shorter gearing will be great in low/off boost situations and the extra tread width is always welcome. The only downside is that I will have to replace those stupid little wheel well kick pannels more often.

So, my answer is simple. If you want the best, its Hoosier A6.

chefgoot, I wish you could make it to dixie, Id love to run against another competitive ms3, im sick of running in a spec ITR class.

·
Registered
89 Posts
[quote author=CosmicBlueMS3 link=topic=135406.msg2918655#msg2918655 date=1233971134]
chefgoot, I wish you could make it to dixie, Id love to run against another competitive ms3, im sick of running in a spec ITR class.
[/quote]
We'll meet up soon my friend. I think the Houston tour will be the first chance we get.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
[quote author=SoraNezumi link=topic=135406.msg2918679#msg2918679 date=1233971812]
Your going to the Houston tour Cosmic?!?
[/quote]

There is a remote chance of doing Blytheville pro, but as it stands, Dixie will be the closest I get to Texas until Nats.
Maybe I'd do Houston if someone offered me a codrive ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts