Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my car dynoed a couple weeks ago on a mustang dyno. I got 198hp, and that is with my COBB SF intake. I was expecting about 230hp with the intake. I think that I might have a boost leak from my stock BPV. When accelerating I hear what sounds like a pressure release before I lift off the throttle. Has anyone had that experience? Is it the boost leaking? Which brings up my next question. I think that a new BPV will solve my boost leak but I am torn between the TurboXS hybrid and the Forge. Do you think that the $70 price difference is worth the added benefits of the hybrid valve? Pretty much I just need to know if the new valve (either type) will solve my problem? And then which one should I buy...keep in mind that I am pretty darn poor :(, but I'm willing to spend more if the beneits are legit.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
[quote author=Czar Quanovan link=topic=138419.msg2982871#msg2982871 date=1236581496]
I had my car dynoed a couple weeks ago on a mustang dyno. I got 198hp, and that is with my COBB SF intake. I was expecting about 230hp with the intake. I think that I might have a boost leak from my stock BPV. When accelerating I hear what sounds like a pressure release before I lift off the throttle. Has anyone had that experience? Is it the boost leaking? Which brings up my next question. I think that a new BPV will solve my boost leak but I am torn between the TurboXS hybrid and the Forge. Do you think that the $70 price difference is worth the added benefits of the hybrid valve? Pretty much I just need to know if the new valve (either type) will solve my problem? And then which one should I buy...keep in mind that I am pretty darn poor :(, but I'm willing to spend more if the beneits are legit.
[/quote]

Have you done any datalogging?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
You should probably pick up a data logger or at least a boost gauge to help yourself monitor your boost levels. If you feel like you're loosing power you should also check your lines for boost leaks.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
what gear was the dyno done in?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=evo2ms3 link=topic=138419.msg2985580#msg2985580 date=1236705572]
[/quote]

4th gear, is that the proper gear to be in?

·
Registered
191 Posts
[quote author=phillyb link=topic=138419.msg2984878#msg2984878 date=1236662100]
forge sounds like ninjas
[/quote]

I'm not sure if it actually sounds like ninjas, but that is a hell of alot cooler than my usual description of a "metallic tweet".

My forge BPV's sound will heretofore be described as "ninjas".

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
[quote author=Czar Quanovan link=topic=138419.msg2985972#msg2985972 date=1236715716]
[quote author=evo2ms3 link=topic=138419.msg2985580#msg2985580 date=1236705572]
[/quote]

4th gear, is that the proper gear to be in?
[/quote]

yeah, just makin sure u weren't in 3rd, b/c that could cause the low number

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
i would go with forge. it sounds great ( i personally like the sound ). i have rkm, and if i could chage the time, like a time machine, i would go back and get that ninja sounding, perfectly working forge.

check all your piping. i know about the poor thing, i don't have a big budget to spend on the car, so i try and figure out the best deal. dash hawks are expensive, and unless you plan to heavily modify, you probably won't need it. boost gage, is not a bad thing. i got mine used. ask some of your friends, and you can buy a bracket for it for like $20. it will definatly show you if you boost leaking.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[quote author=sleserginekolog link=topic=138419.msg2991383#msg2991383 date=1236913821]
i would go with forge. it sounds great ( i personally like the sound ). i have rkm, and if i could chage the time, like a time machine, i would go back and get that ninja sounding, perfectly working forge.

check all your piping. i know about the poor thing, i don't have a big budget to spend on the car, so i try and figure out the best deal. dash hawks are expensive, and unless you plan to heavily modify, you probably won't need it. boost gage, is not a bad thing. i got mine used. ask some of your friends, and you can buy a bracket for it for like $20. it will definatly show you if you boost leaking.
[/quote]

Forge is on order from SU, but the order has been processing for a day and then some so that is weird. Anyone know about the springs that come with the Forge and which one to use? I've only been able to read a few sentences about it here and there, but it sounds like the blue spring is the way to go?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Sorry to threadjack, but I have a boost gauge and it reads a hold of 12-13 in 3rd and 4th, sometimes a spike of 15 or 16. It doesnt feel like i have a boost leak, but are these numbers normal? Could just be a inaccurate gauge

·
Registered
191 Posts
[quote author=Czar Quanovan link=topic=138419.msg2991389#msg2991389 date=1236913951]
[quote author=sleserginekolog link=topic=138419.msg2991383#msg2991383 date=1236913821]

[/quote]

Forge is on order from SU, but the order has been processing for a day and then some so that is weird. Anyone know about the springs that come with the Forge and which one to use? I've only been able to read a few sentences about it here and there, but it sounds like the blue spring is the way to go?
[/quote]

I have a lightly modded car, and the blue spring works great for me. No shims.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
with most cars (from stock all the way to the heavily bolted ones), the blue spring seems to work very well. all that remains to do from there is just play around with the shims to decide whether 0, 1, or 2 work best for you. remember: it's not necessarily just sound you're tuning for. what you need to watch out for is whether it does weird things to your LTFTs or throttle response. in the vast majority of cases, the stocker will give you the LTFTs that you should be getting with your valve, so make note of what the stocker gives you, and then drive the forge around for 50 miles and see where your LTFTs sit with that particular blue spring + shims combo...decide if you need to change it accordingly. gl!

·
Registered
514 Posts
[quote author=Czar Quanovan link=topic=138419.msg2982871#msg2982871 date=1236581496]
When accelerating I hear what sounds like a pressure release before I lift off the throttle. Has anyone had that experience?[/quote]

I think I know what you are talking about. When accelerating somewhat aggressively, if I don't continue to push throttle further it sounds like the air just suddenly recirculates as if I raised the throttle. But I didn't raise the throttle, I just didn't continue to WOT. I think that maybe the turbo begins to spool and push boost from the aggressive acceleration but then doesn't have enough load to continue boosting because I don't push the gas further, so it just recirculates the air. But you were completely at WOT on the dyno I assume, so I dunno.

And I have the Forge BPV, so I don't know.

·
Registered
514 Posts
To the OP,

A boost leak is most likely the problem unless something was wrong with the dyno. Mustang dynos usually show low numbers but yours are way low.

See if you can do another run or try a different dyno.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts