Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this even possible? I have been reading all night and the RB was told to me to be quiet, there was a clip of someone with the cabin ride and it really does not sound any less then the HKS, the Autoexe I heard is absolutely quite inside, just damn expensive, I did not hear a borla inside clip yet though.

Do all aftermarket exhausts drone at the 2-3K mark? Someone said the Borla is drone free, is this true?

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
i honestly don't really know what you're talking about for drone now man. a mod needs to consolidate all your threads.

you're either getting a typical resonance from an all straight-through design or you're really picky. while the auto-exe is jdm bling, it is only a 2" exhaust with a flimsy tip. there's no gains, you might as well be stock.

listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy6oqvAWWX4#hq

sounds like stock poo to me...

buy a racing beat, keep the high flow and call it a day. i'm almost 100% sure that you won't have drone, the muffler is chambered. or go stock.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why is this madness, i am asking opinions exactly what this forum is for. I have contributed to multiple people that have had problems with the MZ3 and now i have one and would app. help. IF you do not want to read it then dont, if people want to answer they will! You are creating the madness by useless information and complaining. I donot understand people on here, i have gotten very good advice and do not want to make another $500 mistake, if you woul like to send me multiple exhausts to try then be my guest.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
The Racing Beat is totally drone free on the freeway, at least while you're cruising. It can get fairly loud while going uphill and giving a decent amount of gas, but it's a nice deep tone, not what I would consider annoying or droney.

Honestly though, if you're that concerned about extra noise, you should just stick with the stock exhaust and put a nice looking tip on it. You really won't notice the extra 2-5 peak horsepower that you're missing out on.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How about deceleration? How is that with the RB? My biggewt problem with the HKS is when you are cruzing around 65-75 if you just tip the throtle you can bearly hear anything, but once you take your foot off the gas and decelerate it gets loud and droney. Same as if you mash the throtle down! Loud!!!

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
I haven't noticed it getting too loud or droney on decel on the freeway, but it does give a really deep rumble and a bit of gurglyness on decel at low RPMs in the city... but i love that sound. It also afterfires a tiny bit when getting back on the gas after engine braking for a couple seconds (it's usually not very loud, but every now and then it'll give a really loud POP).

Let me say this again, if you're not looking for something that can get loud at times, just stick with the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
alpine, have you never owned an aftermarket exhaust before?

go with a custom 2" set up with a flowmaster or something? i dunno man, we have literally given you all available options.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that guys, yes I have had multiple exhaust, and my all time favorite is teh Apexi WS, that thing was down right stock level with a nice deep tone and no i mean no drone. That was with a 15-psi (JRSC) / 75 shot nitrous. I had Bosal, ridiculously loud, Monza - tinny and raspy, remus-deep deep deep no drone etc.....This HKS is just over the top in terms of drone and I think it is because f the large diameter piping the mosy and the fact that I am N/A. Just when everyone said it is quiet I was expecting something like my old Apexi WS, my fault I know.

Now for some reason, everyone is telling the Borla has no Drone on the highway and is quieter then the RB. An RB owner on here told me the same thing (he would rather the Borla). But then people on here say the Borla drones too, whats up? I was thinking of just going back to use my stock piping with a tip and muffler and be done! But all the utube clips on teh Borla sound nice and mellow and i did not hear any of the cabin drone on utbue, except for one that sounded carzy loud? *@&*^!

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
[quote author=alpinemz3 link=topic=137696.msg2970269#msg2970269 date=1236001072]
I think it is because f the large diameter piping the mosy and the fact that I am N/A. Just when everyone said it is quiet I was expecting something like my old Apexi WS, my fault I know.
[/quote]

Truth... so just get a turbo, it quieted my exhaust while cruising a ton and made the tone even deeper ;)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
[quote author=gar187er link=topic=137696.msg2968465#msg2968465 date=1235920070]
this madness has to stop!!!!
[/quote]

it's just annoying to see so many threads about the same topic.. a exhaust that drones.. blah blah blah...

anyways.. I think racing beat is your best bet, or even the draxas if you can find one. When i put it on, it was very nice, I dont think it droned, but thats been a few years already. Another thing you can do is possibly go back to stock exhaust and get a test pipe put on.

Tigermack has a ms3 cat back on his mz3 with header, and I remember him telling me his shit droned like crazy compared to my header and draxas catback combo.

Search around for stock exhaust with a test pipe... it should sound pretty good...

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
i'm running a stocker + test pipe with resonator removed for a smaller one as well as a header and an sri and my car is quiet like stock, slightly deeper when i get on it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
i have a magnaflow CBE on mines... i love it.. its not crazy loud. actually, if your light on the pedal its about as loud as wind noise when you want it to be. it has a low, non gurgly, smooth sound. its like a purr. it doesnt pop, and doesnt fart.

on the highway every exhaust is going to make some noise.. "drone" is all based on opinion.. IMO the stock ms3 exhaust on a mz3 drones BADLY.. but the magnaflow CBE has about 20% drone compared to the ms3 side by side.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
[quote author=alpinemz3 link=topic=137696.msg2968365#msg2968365 date=1235910849]
Is this even possible? I have been reading all night and the RB was told to me to be quiet, there was a clip of someone with the cabin ride and it really does not sound any less then the HKS, the Autoexe I heard is absolutely quite inside, just damn expensive, I did not hear a borla inside clip yet though.

Do all aftermarket exhausts drone at the 2-3K mark? Someone said the Borla is drone free, is this true?
[/quote]

Dude, just go back to the stock exhaust and end it.

You buy a perfectly good HKS Cat-Back Exhaust. Then you modify it and rig it to your damn stock pipes and all the crap you did under there.

Just go back to stock and leave it like that. Or go on eBay, buy the biggest can you find put like 3 resenators and call it JDM.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts