Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the specs for the stock subwoofer that is under the passenger front seat on Mazdaspeed 3's with the Bose systems? All I have been able to determine is that it's a 5 1/4" speaker size.
- Is the stock sub powered?
- Would replacing the stock sub with an aftermarket, under seat, powered subwoofer like the Kenwood KSC-SW10 (5"x7" speaker; 38 watts of power) improve the bass?

I'm not looking for bone rattling bass and I would prefer to keep using the stock under-front-passenger-seat location.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
171 Posts
The sub itself does not have a built in amp. It runs off the Bose amp under the driver's seat that powers all the other speakers as well.

Regarding the Kenwood under seat sub, I haven't heard it. I'm sure that it would be an improvement over the Bose, but I wouldn't expect too much from it compared to a "real" subwoofer. I know you said you prefer the under seat location, but have you considered the stealth sub that goes in the jack location? It won't use up any cargo space and you'll be able to get a lot more out of a quality 8" than an under-seat unit could provide.

·
Registered
81 Posts
what kind of bass were you expecting? Bose isnt exactly known for sounding good with rap music.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I like a variety of music - rock to rap to pop - and am looking for a moderate increase to the stock systems bass. If I do add anything to the sound system, I'm starting to lean towards a powered subwoofer in the rear cargo area vs. a replacement for the under seat unit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
[quote author=speeedbump link=topic=140461.msg3028592#msg3028592 date=1238470909]
The sub itself does not have a built in amp. It runs off the Bose amp under the driver's seat that powers all the other speakers as well.

Regarding the Kenwood under seat sub, I haven't heard it. I'm sure that it would be an improvement over the Bose, but I wouldn't expect too much from it compared to a "real" subwoofer. I know you said you prefer the under seat location, but have you considered the stealth sub that goes in the jack location? It won't use up any cargo space and you'll be able to get a lot more out of a quality 8" than an under-seat unit could provide.
[/quote]

Who makes this stealth sub?

·
Registered
607 Posts
[quote author=scotty123 link=topic=140461.msg3255117#msg3255117 date=1248969057]
[quote author=speeedbump link=topic=140461.msg3028592#msg3028592 date=1238470909]

[/quote]

Who makes this stealth sub?
[/quote]

I'm not sure who made it, but it was a group buy on the forms here a while ago.
I bought one, and decided not to use it. Instead, i built this:

If you're interested in picking up a stealth box, let me know. I can take some pics and send them over.

·
Registered
2 Posts
[quote author=spooln3 link=topic=140461.msg3255180#msg3255180 date=1248972339]
[quote author=scotty123 link=topic=140461.msg3255117#msg3255117 date=1248969057]

If you're interested in picking up a stealth box, let me know. I can take some pics and send them over.
[/quote]

Yea send me some pics. I might be interested. Not that it matters much, but where do you put the jack so it doesn't fly around?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Where's the bass on the MS3 Bose system? There is no bass, it's Bose. There are no highs either, it's Bose. What there is is less than par mids, it's Bose.

If you're only looking for a little extra bass, I would suggest replacing the front speakers with a good set of 6.5" components. This will give you a little extra boom as well as improve the overall sound quality without the hassle of custom sub enclosures.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Bose IS the most overrated brand in audio, period. They're really expensive stuff has good mid-range, but nothing they make for bass or treble sounds as good as it should for what they charge. If you took all their prices, divided by 3, that would make them on par with their competition.

·
Registered
386 Posts
[quote author=BlackSpeed link=topic=140461.msg3036562#msg3036562 date=1238770361]
Bose isnt exactly known for sounding good
[/quote]

FTFY

·
Registered
75 Posts
[quote author=bill bowlrider link=topic=140461.msg3049978#msg3049978 date=1239324059]
Thanks for the replies! I like a variety of music - rock to rap to pop - and am looking for a moderate increase to the stock systems bass. If I do add anything to the sound system, I'm starting to lean towards a powered subwoofer in the rear cargo area vs. a replacement for the under seat unit.
[/quote] A slightly more accessible mod is to bolt in an aftermarket powered sub. I used an Infinity BassLink in our Mazda3 sedan in it works great. The description is posted here: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=86534.msg1646998#msg1646998 (Reply #1) and the pix are down further at Reply #12.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts