Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When changing my own oil, I take the used oil I collect to my local Advance Auto parts which takes it for recycling. This is a free service. What about the other fluids like transmission fluid and/or cooling fluid. Where does one take those for safe disposal?

-- Outer Marker.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
check your local dump. they usually have places for hazardous waste.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. Looks like my local Advance Auto takes engine oil and transmission fluid. They do not take coolant. Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
753 Posts
ATF is just a lighter oil, MTF is just a heavier oil (both with different additives, of course).

You can probably just dump coolant in the toilet and let the sewage treatment plant take care of it. Coolant itself is not even considered a hazardous material, and it's not illegal to do that in many places. Don't dump it in the storm/street drain though. That goes right to the river.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm on a septic system rather than a city sewer, so I don't think I would want to do that at home. Perhaps I could take it into work. We have a restroom in there that flushes so powerfully you almost get an ass-washing if you're not careful :lol:

·
Registered
753 Posts
Yeah, you don't want to put it in your septic system. Check with local laws before doing it at work. It may not be legal in your area and someone at work might get upset about it if they see you do it.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
[quote author=D Bone link=topic=134009.msg2881511#msg2881511 date=1232590941]
If your neighbor has yapping dogs, you could always...................... :twisted:
[/quote]

Oh, that's just wrong. :nono:

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
[quote author=blankets3 link=topic=134009.msg2881128#msg2881128 date=1232583830]
not ur toilet a random sewer or just spill it in a lil forest or park. problem solved.
[/quote]

not good or funny.

http://www.greentruck.com/waste/antifreeze/1102.html
The most common type is made of ethylene glycol, a material that is toxic to humans and animals. Used antifreeze may also contain levels of dissolved heavy metals that can be toxic to animal life and may contaminate soils and sediments. If ethylene glycol biodegrades in large quantities, it can deplete the levels of dissolved oxygen in surface waters, killing aquatic organisms.

again, this site can probably give you places to safely dispose of almost anything. for example, it told me the local jiffylube will accept it.
good lord they are good for something.
http://earth911.com/

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
My local mom-n-pop Carquest takes all fluids including coolant. I would just go into one of your local parts stores and ask the counter guy. I wouldn't dump it down my toilet, and I'm on city sewer...............And no, I wouldn't let my neighbor's yappy dogs drink it either. :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.