Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
I put mine inside the doors, mounted against the black composite plastic piece with one of the mounting screws that goes along with that bit.

Not my car, but I believe they fit in somewhere in the lower left portion of the black plastic shown in this pic:

This way you don't have to disconnect wires to take the door panels off (something that I had to do in my last car as the crossovers were mounted to the door panel itself).

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I installed my crossovers in pretty much the same place Aitch mentioned. Used some Velcro to adhere the crossover to the composite piece, works well. If you have large crossovers, you may need to remove the circuit board from the casing to make it fit; if you do that, make sure to wrap the board in several layers of electrical tape to keep water out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I actually mounted mine under the passenger seat where the amp for my fronts is. Partly for convenience in adjusting settings on it, also because in the manual for my speakers it says in big bold DO NOT MOUNT CROSSOVERS INSIDE DOORS, i think for moisture reasons. Here is a pic of them under the seat with the amp, the only disadvantage was i had to run two sets of wires to the doors from the amp, not a big deal though as the car was stripped bare anyways.

keep us posted on what you decide to do!
ed

·
Registered
50 Posts
You need some pretty small crossovers to fit them in the door. I had to cut a bunch of structural plastic out of the door panel, including one of the mounting fasteners. The aforementioned spot is about the only place they will fit. I used sheet metal screws to affix mine, since other methods have failed in previous builds. I have pics at home, maybe I'll post them later. If you don't mind figuring out how to run non-oem wires through the doors, under-seat mounting would be a better option.

·
Registered
42 Posts
[quote author=Alec Trevelyan link=topic=137310.msg2963034#msg2963034 date=1235668617]
Psh, manual ;)
[/quote]
ya im not sure how accurate that is as far as danger from humidity, maybe just a small once in a while thing they have to mention lol. The crossovers for my speakers are really big though too so that was another reason

If you do decide to put them under the seat, let me know i have pictures of how i ran the new wires thru the door.
ed

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
i kinda wondered why people mount adjustable x-overs where you can't get to them (easily). Kinda makes me wonder why they make em adjustable, unless it readily apparent how it's going to sound and which settings are best, before it all put back together again.
:dunno: :thinking:

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
i don't see how the acoustics could be the same, although i suppose you'd hear the tweeters fine...

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
does anyone use the second door plug (the one without any wires)?

·
Registered
42 Posts
[quote author=Alec Trevelyan link=topic=137310.msg2966760#msg2966760 date=1235801484]
Eh, it's easier to remove the door panels than it is to wire two speaker wires through the door conduits. Yeah, that's what I'm going with :lol:
[/quote]
That's totally valid! The worst part of the entire install I did was running the new speaker wires thru those grommets!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
[quote author=John_in_the_LBC link=topic=137310.msg2966763#msg2966763 date=1235801678]
does anyone use the second door plug (the one without any wires)?
[/quote]

I'm not sure what you mean. Got a pic?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts