Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can get a HO alternator for my baby?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hrmph... guess I'll see if I actually need a new alternator once everything is installed.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
www.dls-america.com

CAD1000
CA21
CA40

We'll see (in theory) how many more amps I will need once I get the amps and see what they need.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Very nice choice. Thinking about it, I remember you mentioning them in another thread.

I dont know the technical specs on the DLS amps, but you wont need to worry about a HO alternator. I dont see you going much over 125 amps.

Right now, both my amps are powered by 80 amp fuses (160 total). Of course when the bass drops low and loud, the interior lights dim, which is very typical in big bass installs. Lucky for me, HIDs are stablized with the ballast so they cant dim. The engine doesnt dip when the bass hits. I have notice on some cars that are a few years old tend to when the bass hits.

In my friends GTI, he went with a SS Davinci and Tarantula. Those amps can draw as much as 175amps each. He never had a problem at all.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love those concept amps from SS... if nothing else than because they look cool. Although I didn't like the old SS website with the human reign... *shivers*

I find it funny that DLS has hardly any publicity in the US, but I've read a copy of Total Car Audio from the UK for the past two months and they've had about 3 articles on their speakers and amps. Can't complain about being somewhat original in buying their stuff though :)

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Definately. Mainstream audio is plain lame. I so happy I went with the RE XXX 15"... it surely shames all the other players in the price range and others in the upper range. Death to the W7 lmao.

The Human Reign is plain scary. Imagine if someone build a wall of woofers and HR's.... its gonna look like a few bodies were used in the making.

DLS has some awesome equipment. I got to see an A3 and you can clearly see the quality. I love the brushed look... reminds me of the older SS Reference amps that came polished.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Back to the alternator bit, I've been working on this project for awhile now.

The stock alt is weaker than my last car and my sound system is getting hungier as well; I'll definately need more juice.

Traveled to a local auto-electric place that builds and rebuilds alternators and they were not able to help me. Now I am following up with another company whom they recomended to me a good 2 hours away.

They were able to inform me that the 3 is using a mitsubishi alternator and that it is regulated by a computer onboard the car. Replacing the alternator by normal means would instantly blow a new alternator and one would need to be installed "very carefully". I am to contact them again tommorrow after they gather some more information for me.

If a new alternator can not be installed I will be driving out to them to see if we can install a second alternator if there is enough room in the engine (already have a second stinger battery so why not? ;)

Keep you posted...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Got my answer today: Replacing the stock alternator is a NO GO.

I then questioned the addition of a second alternator. They said this would be fine as long as it fits can could be mounted properly.

I'm heading to a local auto electric mechanic they recommended to get their thoughts as to wether or not it could be done.

I also spoke with the service guy at the local delaership regarding such an action on the warrenty. His advise: if the car breaks down, remove the second alternator (laugh). In this case if I can fit another alternator I will definately want it to be able to bolt on and off fairly easily.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Hmm.. what kind of amps you plan on going with? Unless you got more than 2 monoblocks or they are US Amps, you should be fine.

Definately.. upgrade the battery, add another in the back and run ought gauge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts