Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my fatherly figure nearly flipped out because he didn't see a radiator cap on my 3.

i told him that it had one, i just wasn't sure where it was and hadn't thought about it until just then.

so where is the radiator cap? is it just underneath that plastic plate that runs above the radiator (the one with the hood support rod)?

I didn't let on to my fatherly figure but it had be baffled too.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
ok if the only place to fill our coolant is in that white tank off to the side does that mean we have a closed cooling system?? I was always told that open cooling systems are a MILLION times BETTER than the closed systems..

·
Registered
321 Posts
an open cooling system is going to boil over way to soon. you need pressure to increase the boiling point of the coolant. the cap on the white container where you add coolant is a pressure cap.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
check under the plastic cover. you guys are talking about the overflow resevior, and yes it has a cap, but so does the actual radiator. the radiator cap is the one that holds the pressure, not the overflow resevior cap.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The cap on the res is the pressure cap. Says right on it 145kPa/21psi.

There is no other cap. Is a college degree needed to figure out auto 101?

·
Registered
124 Posts
yeah this is pretty common design for newer cars. i think your old man is just used to the family truckster's radiator.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
[quote author=psyshack link=topic=65687.msg1700860#msg1700860 date=1189358089]

[/quote]

Beat me to it. Yeah the resivior cap is the pressure cap. Its been that way on every car I have seen made in about 20 odd years. Some older cars and big trucks have a cap right on the radiator.
-Matt

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
[quote author=azazel1024 link=topic=65687.msg1703658#msg1703658 date=1189457742]
[quote author=psyshack link=topic=65687.msg1700860#msg1700860 date=1189358089]

[/quote]

Beat me to it. Yeah the resivior cap is the pressure cap. Its been that way on every car I have seen made in about 20 odd years. Some older cars and big trucks have a cap right on the radiator.
-Matt
[/quote]

my car i guess doesnt qualify. mines right on the radiator.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Yeah, but the 94 mustang was engineered about 40 years ago. They just put a new coat of paint on it every few years and call it a new model. :D
-Matt

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
[quote author=azazel1024 link=topic=65687.msg1705427#msg1705427 date=1189516333]
Yeah, but the 94 mustang was engineered about 40 years ago. They just put a new coat of paint on it every few years and call it a new model. :D
-Matt
[/quote]

except no...they didnt

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have a 06Mazda3 and my coolant resivor is low but i dont kow what kind to add... my 3 didnt come with an owners manual and the dealership said they were going to send me one but its been like 5 months now and nothing....

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Some new cars still have a radiator cap.
And yes i need to top off the coolant because the plastic tank is not preserized is used as a overflow tank.
Here is a pic of 2.3 in my MZ6. The radiator is on the right. The recovery tank in the right beside it on the left.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts