Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know where is the oil filter?

EDIT: Moved to PowerPlant :twisted:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Its right in the front center of the engine in plain sight ... after you take off the plastic sheilding that covers the lower part of the engine bay.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry if this is a stupid question..
do you know how to remove it, i have never seen a cartridge type oil filter.

Thanks,

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would HIGHLY HIGHLY not do that. I go to multiple mazda3 forums and this one guy just about killed his car cause he took it to a merchant's tire and auto place to get his oil changed and nearly ruined his car. I would let the dealership deal with that man........if you would like to look at it, next time you are getting your car serviced at the mazda dealer ask to see if they will let you see the cartridge dirty vs clean.

I believe in the near future it will be normal for all cars to have this type of eco friendly cartridge, and prolly half a years time there will be products out that will enable the owner to change his/her own oil.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Highly, Highly not do what????? He asked how to take the filter off, not if he should shave his eyebrows. I'll chime right in with him; HOW DO YOU TAKE THE FILTER OFF? I want to change my own oil like I have my past/other vehicles, but I have never even heard of a cartidge type filter 'til I got this car. Any advice on changing your own oil in the Mazda3 would be appreciated. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
947 Posts
I think the owner's manual shows you the location of the filter but says that a special tool is needed to change it. I will take a look at it one of these days and see just what kind of "special" tool is needed.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
You need an allan wrench and an oil filter wrench. I don't remember the size numbers. My service manager said that its easy to change yourself, the hardest part is taking out the plastic splash guard (its got 10 bolts holding it in place).

·
Registered
420 Posts
LeeLee said:
I think the owner's manual shows you the location of the filter but says that a special tool is needed to change it. I will take a look at it one of these days and see just what kind of "special" tool is needed.
Owners manual doesn't show the location; it only mentions that a special tool is required and that Mazda advises you take it to a Mazda Technician. Oh well, we'll figure it out...........

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
That kinda stinks...
so after the warranty is over, we gotta figure out how to screw up the oil filter ourselves?!

·
Registered
11 Posts
*Bump*

Has anyone figured this out yet? Can the filter be bought at a normal parts store like Autozone etc?

What about this 5w20 oil? I plan on using Mobil 1 5w30.. What do you think?

·
Registered
878 Posts
BMM3 said:
Highly, Highly not do what????? He asked how to take the filter off, not if he should shave his eyebrows. I'll chime right in with him; HOW DO YOU TAKE THE FILTER OFF? I want to change my own oil like I have my past/other vehicles, but I have never even heard of a cartidge type filter 'til I got this car. Any advice on changing your own oil in the Mazda3 would be appreciated. :bigsmile:
The cartridge oil filter was the only filter type until the late '50's. They started showing back up with Japanese cars with the '80's Acura Legend.
I used to do it for a living and that Acura filter was a beast to change. It was hard to get the O-ring back in the right place. Well, it was hard for me anyway. 8)

·
Registered
11 Posts
According to the picture in the Mazda3 brochure, the filter is just a regular looking oil filter. The spash gaurd probably won't be hard to remove. Just annoying.

For what it's worth, both my old '97 Miata and my current '03 Miata's owners manual have that same statement about getting the dealer to change the oil filter because a special tool is needed to tighten it. I haven't figured out what that tool is yet. I've been tightening mine with my hands for years. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts